Interracial marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife says I'm black. I haven't had the heart to tell her yet, so let's keep it quiet...

05_300.jpg

The best I can say is, my mom's family is mostly Germanic and my dad's family is mostly English. There seems to be quite a variety of other ethnicities as well, though, so I think I can say that I am 100% American. :)

Me: 100% Frisian, brown/gray hair, hazel eyes.
Elizabeth: Mostly Cherokee Indian, basic American mutt, blonde hair, blue eyes
Children: Multi-racial

This poll never asked what your heritage/background was. If you are white and married a white person, there is absolutely nothign wrong with that, but sorry, for the purposes of this thread that is not an "interracial marriage".

This poll never asked what your heritage/background was. If you are white and married a white person, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but sorry, for the purposes of this thread that is not an "interracial marriage".

So then it is about skin color, not race? :think:

This poll never asked what your heritage/background was. If you are white and married a white person, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but sorry, for the purposes of this thread that is not an "interracial marriage".

So then it is about surface color, not race? :think:

I am not sure how to answer this question, but I guess we would have to define race for each persons answer. My interpretation is that a person who gets on here and says, "oh I have german ancestors and my wife has irish ancestors" they are typically both white Americans and I do not consider that "interracial".

So then it is about skin color, not race? :think:

I think there's a difference between ethnicity and race. Ethnicity refers to ethnic group - Irish, Polish, Italian, Mexican, Russian, West African etc. Race refers to skin color - black, white, Asian etc. Someone can correct if I'm wrong, but I think that's the general understanding.

-----Added 10/15/2009 at 08:33:32 EST-----

I may be soon... :wink:

Something you need to share with us?

Well, we're still in talks. :lol:But I'll keep everyone updated.

My family is been documented Frisian for well over 500 years, which makes me racially Northern-European (and severely inbred!), as I am the first generation born abroad. My wife's grandmother is mostly Cherokee, the rest is a blend, so she is of a different race. We are thus interracial, terminologically speaking. But to someone looking at only skin color, we are a WASP-ish couple. Racially, though, we are likely as distant as you and your wife.

Race refers to skin color - black, white, Asian etc.

Race describes biological descent. Ethnicity describes cultural heritage.

-----Added 10/15/2009 at 08:45:24 EST-----

Or, as someone else puts it:

"Ethnicity refers to selected cultural and sometimes physical characteristics used to classify people into groups or categories considered to be significantly different from others.

A race is a biological subspecies, or variety of a species, consisting of a more or less distinct population with anatomical traits that distinguish it clearly from other races"

*I do realize that I'm sort of being difficult.*

Us too!

I'm all British Isles, with ancestors from England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales.

My husband's ancestors were from Scotland, England, France, Bavaria (Jewish), and Pawnee.

We both love ****-a-leekie soup and the roasted Indian corn available only at pow-wows. When I speak to him in Scots Gaelic he gets totally confused. Fortunately for me, he doesn't know much Pawnee.

-----Added 10/15/2009 at 08:51:03 EST-----

There is a delicious soup from Scotland which combines chicken, leeks, thyme, and pepper. A few people add prunes, but I never do. According to legend, the chicken chosen for the soup was the male chicken who lost the last male chicken fight. That's the true name of the soup; it has to do with the gender of the chicken. Good grief. I hope this makes sense. I don't want everyone to think I write bad words on the board. I'm just used to calling the soup by its common, centuries old name: male chicken-a-leekie.

Some of my relatives from a century or so ago married within the family. I just learned this. So that's why I'm the way I am... :hunter:

So then it is about surface color, not race? :think:

I am not sure how to answer this question, but I guess we would have to define race for each persons answer. My interpretation is that a person who gets on here and says, "oh I have german ancestors and my wife has irish ancestors" they are typically both white Americans and I do not consider that "interracial".

The problem starts with the original post, since Hispanic isn't a race.

I'm all British Isles, with ancestors from England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales.

My husband's ancestors were from Scotland, England, France, Bavaria (Jewish), and Pawnee.

We both love ****-a-leekie soup and the roasted Indian corn available only at pow-wows. When I speak to him in Scots Gaelic he gets totally confused. Fortunately for me, he doesn't know much Pawnee.

-----Added 10/15/2009 at 08:51:03 EST-----

There is a delicious soup from Scotland which combines chicken, leeks, thyme, and pepper. A few people add prunes, but I never do. According to legend, the chicken chosen for the soup was the male chicken who lost the last male chicken fight. That's the true name of the soup; it has to do with the gender of the chicken. Good grief. I hope this makes sense. I don't want everyone to think I write bad words on the board. I'm just used to calling the soup by its common, centuries old name: male chicken-a-leekie.

It must be an automatic filter...

-----Added 10/15/2009 at 09:11:26 EST-----

So if I ask about how many times the **** crowed before midnight or whether it was one ass or two that Jesus rode upon... Profanity filters are weird like that because they don't take context into account (how could they?)

But I don't doubt that society at large thinks that it is. I think it is one of those terms that has evolved over time.

Well, we're still in talks. :lol:But I'll keep everyone updated.

You do know that guys hate that, don't you?

To be fair about it, what does your brother think of the situation?

And, finally, isn't this a public forum? Do we need to go through and delete some of these posts?

-----Added 10/15/2009 at 09:25:10 EST-----

But I don't doubt that society at large thinks that it is. I think it is one of those terms that has evolved over time.

You don't think society would notice the difference between an Afro-Cuban or Brazilian and someone of predominately German heritage from Argentina?

I think there's a difference between ethnicity and race. Ethnicity refers to ethnic group - Irish, Polish, Italian, Mexican, Russian, West African etc. Race refers to skin color - black, white, Asian etc. Someone can correct if I'm wrong, but I think that's the general understanding.

Yes, this is the definition I was referring to. Thank you.

maybe not, but anyone with a shred of common sense would have known what the TS was referring to considering the context of his question/post.

You do know that guys hate that, don't you?

To be fair about it, what does your brother think of the situation?

And, finally, isn't this a public forum? Do we need to go through and delete some of these posts?

I was being tongue in cheek... Keeping everyone updated is actually the opposite of what I'll be doing.

Sorry to derail the thread.:oops:

Edit: I feel like I should clarify, since apparently my comment (which was made jokingly) was misinterpreted

- I am in a serious relationship and the subject of marriage has been discussed, which is why I said we were "in talks." I was joking - something I sometimes do with less success than others.

- My boyfriend would not mind me mentioning this in a public forum - all of our friends and family know what's going on, its common knowledge.

- If my brother had a concern about our relationship, I would welcome hearing it. (And he knows that)

Last edited:
You don't think society would notice the difference between an Afro-Cuban or Brazilian and someone of predominately German heritage from Argentina?

Yes, most certainly. Jus' sayin', the terminology didn't fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back