Interpretation Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
How do you deal with these kinds of questions?

How can two Christians claim the Spirit's authority for their interpretations, when such interpretations contradict one another?

Since...each of us is so easily susceptible to self-deception, how can anyone ever know that their own or another's interpretation is truly of the Spirit?

You have to compare your interpretations to the interpretations of others. In other words, if I come up with an interpretation that I can't find anywhere else, then it's probably not a good interpretion. If I come up with one that has been rejected by godly men of the past and/or present, then it's probably not a good interpretation.

I see many many Christians assuming that the H.S. guides in interpretation. The thought seems to be that the bible inidcates that the Spirit will infact have this role in a believers life. I do not know of any texts that promise this and your observation which is common seems to confirm that it is a false presumtion to think the Spirit does in fact aid the beleiver in interpretation. The texts that are commonly appealed to are specific promises to the apostles that would go on to hand down the faith in teaching and cannon. To extend these promises to all believers is to me a mistake. :2cents:

Jason,

Your OP is one of the reasons I am confessional. I no longer view interpretation as a private endeavor. I can trace doctrine through the time line of church history and understand truth and error. I have found myself standing on the shoulders of other men. Even when I disagree with a particular point of view I do not do so in a vacuum. Someone has already been there before me.

How do you deal with these kinds of questions?

How can two Christians claim the Spirit's authority for their interpretations, when such interpretations contradict one another?

Since...each of us is so easily susceptible to self-deception, how can anyone ever know that their own or another's interpretation is truly of the Spirit?

Give them a copy of According to Plan: The Unfolding Revelation of God in the Bible :: Biblical Theology :: Doctrine/Theology :: Monergism Books as he deals with these types of questions :up:

Excellent answers everyone and I'll have to say this is also why I believe the confessions are so very important in the life of a believer. Thanks for the title suggestion Richard, it looks like a good read.

Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back