Interpretation of Psalms -- question on how to use them as promises and in prayer

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwink

Puritan Board Sophomore
How can we take the Psalms as promises or use them in prayer? Specifically, for example, how can we take Psalm 91:10-12 as a promise: "There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling. For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone."? Was this only about Christ? Or how could I take this as a promise or pray this since sometimes evil does come upon me or I might suffer a plague?

Or how about verse 5 "Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; " How could I take this as a promise if I did get hit by an arrow? It wouldn't make sense to pray after getting struck by an arrow, "Lord, your Word says that I will not be afraid of the arrow that flies by day!" How could I take Psalm 145:15 as a promise if I ended up dying of starvation: "The eyes of all wait upon thee; and thou givest them their meat in due season." ? How could I trust in the Lord as my fortress if I did end up getting captured and killed by the enemy?

(My question is similar to the question a person might ask in wondering why some people who honor their parents die young...instead of having their days be long in the land.)

I hope it is clear that I am not doubting God's Word. I am simply trying to understand how I can apply/interpret the Psalms to use them as promises and to use them in prayer. (I know there can be many aspects/details to answering these questions such as God's providence, the effects of sin in the world, etc...so thank you all for your input.)

The Psalms are comprised mostly of song and prayers. As such, they are not statements of promise in the same way that certain other Bible passages are. They are expressions of song and prayer based on the character, faithfulness and promises of God. So we can sing about no arrows hitting us, but it doesn't mean no arrow will ever hit us. The principle behind the song is that God's protection and goodness toward us is sure. It's so sure we can sing about how arrows won't even hit us. Yet, we know it's possible that in our particular circumstance God might decide the best and most faithful action toward us is to actually let us get hit by an arrow.

So don't take most statements in the Psalms as promises the same way you might take, say, Hebrews 13:5, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” They're different types of literature, meant to be taken different ways.

The American church today really has a problem with this. We been so taught that the Bible has sure promises and firm rules (which it does) that we start to read all the Bible as promises and rules, including wisdom literature. In doing so, we end up with statements that don't make sense in real life, like the "promise" that arrows won't hit us. Worse, we also rob the Bible of its ability to speak to us in ways other than absolute promises or rules. God doesn't have an absolute promise about arrows. But isn't it great that he's still given us a song to sing when we face arrows? We have encouragement and instruction from his Word even in such situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back