Intelligence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abd_Yesua_alMasih

Puritan Board Junior
There are seemingly many people in this world who "believe" the right theology. These people are not always the most highly intelligent and academic people (some are, some arn't). It follows that you don't have to be a genius to believe the right stuff. What then is the importance of intelligence and the ability for someone to think and analyze information for themselves?

I will give a non-Christian example. My cousin has converted to Islam. From an "intellectual" Islamic perspective he knows all the supposedly "right" stuff, yet I have never seen someone more dogmatic and unable to discuss basic theory. Everything is quotations. Ask him something and he will quote someone else or get defensive. There will be a discussion going and no matter how much logic or theory is being passed around all he needs is one Salafist or Quranic quote and he sides with it without thought.

This mentality, while not as extreme as I have noticed in Islam, can be found in the Church. A new Christian as an example might believe exactly the same as the preacher in the pulpit but if you ask them about their beliefs or they have to defend them then they stumble along and act dogmatic and just throw quotes around (but seriously as not as much as the Muslims :eek:). The preacher on the other hand on the most part will believe the same things but can be engaged intellectually in discussion.

What is the importance of "intelligence" in the Christian's walk? Does it in fact clash with the simple faith that we should have? Or is it a necessity for us as a people? What is more important for you - a seminary that makes you think and grow intellectually in the context of Reformed theology or a seminary that is 100% correct on every issue but is purely dogmatic allows no thought either side?

[Disclaimer: this is not written with anyone in mind here but has been a general note in my own life especially while dealing with Muslims and their inability to defend their beliefs in what most people would call a logical manner]

In my experience, the darkened heart will seek after whatever it wants, even in Christian circles, I have seen otherwise very intelligent people hold on to ridiculous viewpoints, because at the core, it serves their better purpose. In other cases, the person is desperate for something to hold on to that will make sense out of life (without actually bowing the knee to Christ). I think it all goes back to the wickedness of our human hearts.

In my experience, the darkened heart will seek after whatever it wants, even in Christian circles, I have seen otherwise very intelligent people hold on to ridiculous viewpoints, because at the core, it serves their better purpose. In other cases, the person is desperate for something to hold on to that will make sense out of life (without actually bowing the knee to Christ). I think it all goes back to the wickedness of our human hearts.
I think you are right, and it leads to the conclusion I was thinking of that being intelligent doesn't make you right, but is there more to it than that?

I am sure there is more to it, I tend to over simplify things. However, only the Spirit of God can reveal truth to a person. While intelligence is useful, especially when it comes to sorting out theology, just a little arrogance can keep someone from seeing the truth that is right in front of them. Sadly, we are all a bit like that.

What comes to mind is a brilliant Christian man I knew when I was growing up. He believed with all of his heart in sola scriptura, but he could not bring himself to accept election and predestination. He believed it was in the Scripture, and he never denied it, but he eventually had to come up with a theology all his own to explain what his heart didn't want to acknowledge--the sovereignty of God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back