Inclusive Psalmody

Discussion in 'A capella Exclusive Psalmody' started by beej6, Apr 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beej6

beej6 Puritan Board Sophomore

From another thread, by Rev. Carroll:

I really have struggled with the question of EP in terms of my own growth but I have arrived at a position of what some call "Inclusive Psalmody." I think most everyone on this Board would agree that the Psalms should be sung, that, indeed, the woeful state of worship in the modern church in America could partly be blamed on its shallow singing (aka 7-11 music).

I think IP is the closest to my position as well.

For those non-EPers:
    How frequently do you sing Psalms at your services?
    How many are metered Psalms, and how many are "hymns based on Psalms"?

2. kevin.carroll

kevin.carroll Puritan Board Junior

Not nearly enough. This is an area in which I am trying to introduce reform at our church. We don't use a good hymnal, I'm afraid, and there are only two psalms in it (23, 100) and a limited number of hymns based on the Psalms. But we sing them regularly!

3. Contra_Mundum

Contra_Mundum Pilgrim, Alien, Stranger Staff Member

We sing from two books, the RPCNA Psalter (metered, some full Psalms as well as Psalm-portions), and the newer Trinity Hymnal. Given the number of Psalms/portions (and Psalm-based songs) in the TH, I have previously calcualted that of those categories combined, we sing "Psalms" about 2/3 of the time.

4. JonathanHunt

JonathanHunt Puritan Board Senior

At my previous church in London (Met Tab) they sing a metrical, paraphrase or expansion of a psalm in every service following the reading of the psalm.

JH

5. staythecourse

staythecourse Puritan Board Junior

We use the Baptist Trinity Hymnal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.