In light of 1 Tim. 3:2, what should hospitality look like today in America?

• Thread starter Deleted member 13126
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 13126

I have been considering the subject of hospitality more deeply over the past few weeks and found curiously few articles about this topic on PB.

Where I live in the United States, public transportation isn’t great. We live in towns where there’s more than one church. Towns where you need a car to get around and there’s hotels all around. Many churches have doors that aren’t always open. Many Pastors have doors that aren’t always open, for that matter.

With this in mind, on one hand the biblical-historical concept of hospitality seems to have either become too impractical or burdensome or perhaps too dangerous.

On the other hand.. wasn’t it always impractical, burdensome and dangerous?

So I’m looking for some guidance here. What do you all think? Is an elder’s hospitality (as opposed to, say, his wife’s hospitality, or his church’s hospitality) still a biblical qualification? If so, what does it look like in our modern age of cars, cell phones and hotels?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hospitality can be shown by inviting visitors to eat at your home after/between services. It's not necessary to put up all and sundry in order to be hospitable, but I think that a visiting pulpit supply could be placed with a host family if one has the ability. And if hosting a visiting preacher is something the church members do, then the elders need to be first among the willing.
I've been places where a member with more means and room than the pastors was the host, but most often in foreign travels it is an elder who has hosted us visitors. I've found also that with elders like that, the people are not far behind.
I'm not sure how you'd separate and elder's hospitality from his wife's--they're kind of connected.

I'll be the first to reccomend The Gospel Comes With A Housekey by Rosaria Butterfield.

For my part I see no reason why the requirement should cease. I would definitely vote against a nominated elder if they were inhospitable.

Hospitality can be shown by inviting visitors to eat at your home after/between services. It's not necessary to put up all and sundry in order to be hospitable, but I think that a visiting pulpit supply could be placed with a host family if one has the ability. And if hosting a visiting preacher is something the church members do, then the elders need to be first among the willing.
I've been places where a member with more means and room than the pastors was the host, but most often in foreign travels it is an elder who has hosted us visitors. I've found also that with elders like that, the people are not far behind.
I'm not sure how you'd separate and elder's hospitality from his wife's--they're kind of connected.

Would you say it is visitors only? Or in terms of meeting unplanned needs, would making oneself available and sensitive to the unplanned needs of others in other ways not also qualify as hospitality? Or must it always be physical hospitality in one’s home? What do you think?

I ask as one who doesn’t have all the answers but am trying to grapple with how to live this out in my church and in my community.

Thanks!

Another good work would be: https://www.amazon.com/Hospitality-Commands-Christian-Community-Neighbors/dp/0936083093

I too am wondering how I can be more hospitable in today's world.
I am reading this book now. Thank you for recommending it!

I would welcome any other thoughts on this topic also, as it appears that there have only been 18 threads on the topic of hospitality (with “hospitality” in the title) in more than 20 years on PB. If only it were as popular a topic as baptism!

I second the recommendation for the Rosaria Butterfield book above. She does a great job painting a beautiful picture of what Christian hospitality looks like in modern life. I think one key, which I still struggle with at times, is being intentional about making space in our lives to be hospitable. If we don't have any margin-- in terms of time, energy, physical space-- it's hard to be truly hospitable in a way that isn't merely formal. Intentionally creating space where we can to open our lives to others is so important.

I second the recommendation for the Rosaria Butterfield book above. She does a great job painting a beautiful picture of what Christian hospitality looks like in modern life. I think one key, which I still struggle with at times, is being intentional about making space in our lives to be hospitable. If we don't have any margin-- in terms of time, energy, physical space-- it's hard to be truly hospitable in a way that isn't merely formal. Intentionally creating space where we can to open our lives to others is so important.
Opening our homes to share a meal with fellow church-members on the Lord's Day is an excellent place to start, especially in church contexts which deemphasize the fourth commandment.

Opening our homes to share a meal with fellow church-members on the Lord's Day is an excellent place to start, especially in church contexts which deemphasize the fourth commandment.
I think the Sabbath, in God's wisdom, is built-in margin which can serve that very purpose. Excellent place to start!

"Hospitality"-- Rev. Gavin Beers

Some creative suggestions that I have made use of....

1) Co-hospitality. You have a friend who has a large home but is socially anxious. Go help them show hospitality by starting good conversation and helping to keep it going.

2) Plan activities for people to join in on. Make sure though that whatever good time you have, you include true Christian fellowship/spiritual conversations.

3) Invite someone to a meal at a restaurant.

4) Offer to come over and cook a meal for people.

Hospitality is primarily for those in our church (congregation, denomination, and wider) but also to others. I hope someday I can be the sort of person who can show hospitality last minute and in the situations when others are unable or unwilling to do so.

So far as danger goes, just be wise and discerning to make sure you do your duties to your family, property, and self-preservation, while recognizing that this could get messy, and you very well may find items stolen or broken by doing this.

If so, what does it look like in our modern age of cars, cell phones and hotels?

John Calvin wrote:
"Be not forgetful to entertain strangers, etc." This office of humanity has also nearly ceased to be properly observed among men; for the ancient hospitality, celebrated in histories, is unknown to us, and Inns now supply the place of accommodations for strangers.

Would you say it is visitors only? Or in terms of meeting unplanned needs, would making oneself available and sensitive to the unplanned needs of others in other ways not also qualify as hospitality? Or must it always be physical hospitality in one’s home? What do you think?

I ask as one who doesn’t have all the answers but am trying to grapple with how to live this out in my church and in my community.

Thanks!
Call it hospitality or charity or whatever you like: surely it is your duty to see to the unplanned needs of others if you have occasion.
I, for one, don't try to force it. Plenty of occasions to help others just come out of the woodwork. I lend my log splitter to a fellow member from time to time: reckon that's hospitality. I've given her firewood when she's hard up--I've helped her tote firewood, we've helped other members with house moving, re-flooring their living room, etc. They've helped us on occasion--it's all part of life in a group. We regularly have people over to eat--not just other church members, but social friends as well. But it's not like we're viewing it as a duty to be pursued, it's just a pleasant and enjoyable habit.
We have entertained strangers, many times, while being careful to maintain safe boundaries.
I just don't think "hospitality" can be pinned down to a list of things: it's just a general neighborlyness, like the Samaritan had for the victim by the side of the road, or Abraham for his supernatural visitors.

Here is an interesting quote from Calvin on hospitality being lost in his time:
"This, then is to be maintained; that when he saw men of reverend aspect, and having marks of singular excellence, advancing on their journey, he saluted them with honor, and invited them to repose. But at that time, there was greater honesty than is at present, to be found amid the prevailing perfidy of mankind; so that the right of hospitality might be exercised with less danger. Therefore, the great number of inns are evidence of our depravity, and prove it to have arisen from our own fault, that the principal duty of humanity has become obsolete among us." - John Calvin's Commentary on Genesis 18.

Here is an interesting quote from Calvin on hospitality being lost in his time:
"This, then is to be maintained; that when he saw men of reverend aspect, and having marks of singular excellence, advancing on their journey, he saluted them with honor, and invited them to repose. But at that time, there was greater honesty than is at present, to be found amid the prevailing perfidy of mankind; so that the right of hospitality might be exercised with less danger. Therefore, the great number of inns are evidence of our depravity, and prove it to have arisen from our own fault, that the principal duty of humanity has become obsolete among us." - John Calvin's Commentary on Genesis 18.

As someone who has constantly resorted to using inns or hotels, etc., I've never considered them in this light. This was illuminating to me. Thank you for sharing this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back