Impure ministers and the spread of the Gospel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
Hello,

I am trying to write a letter to some indigenous churches here about the impure men they allow as evangelists and ministers. How can they expect God to bless their work if they continue to tolerate impure and unsaved men in the ministry and they continue to fail to screen for character instead of tribal influence. They must purge these men from among them before they can expect God to bless their works.

What Scriptures or articles or books do you know of which address this?

I understand the 'unsaved' part, but I'm not sure what you mean by 'impure'.

"The grace which is exhibited in or by the sacraments rightly used, is not conferred by any power in them; neither does the efficacy of a sacrament depend upon the piety or intention of him that does administer it...."

They must purge these men from among them before they can expect God to bless their works.
Would the same principle of God not blessing apply to not only retaining impious men but impious methods? Like using the Jesus film? We may have discussed that before but I have a practical issue in raising it as my church supports a translation effort that also supports use of that film, which I did know until this morning.

We have indigenous pastors here who have threatened and beat their wives. How can we expect God to bless the words they say if their actions or those of pagans?

We have indigenous pastors here who have threatened and beat their wives. How can we expect God to bless the words they say if their actions or those of pagans?

How are these men becoming pastors? Who ordains them? That’s what I would want to know.

How are these men becoming pastors? Who ordains them? That’s what I would want to know.
Indigenous churches founded by American missionaries in the 60s and 70s who then left.

Back to the OP. What verses speak to God not blessing impure ministers or God witholding his blessings from ministers who are not living pure.

James 3:1 is a logical starting point, and 2 Timothy 2:20-26 demonstrates the need for ministers to be holy about as clearly as any other passage. You could also mention Exodus 4:24-26. 2 Corinthians 6 lists what Paul did and endured to keep the ministry from being discredited. That clearly shows that bad conduct is reprehensible and damaging to the ministry.

John Angell James wrote a book, An Earnest Ministry; The Want of the Times which goes into some detail about such questions. Most books about pastoral theology will address the minister's personal qualifications at some point.

Last edited:
We have similar problems here in the states. Everyday we are hearing of a shepherd falling in one way or the other. The church is plagued to a degree; it shouldn't surprise us.

So what would you say in a sermon or letter of concern about a need for holiness in the ministry? The sermon would be very simple for tribal peoples.

1 Pet.3:7 "Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered."

So what would you say in a sermon or letter of concern about a need for holiness in the ministry? The sermon would be very simple for tribal peoples.

Text: "A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate..." (1 Tim. 3:2).
Keep the doctrine super simple: A Christian minister must be blameless (i.e. without reproach) in the eyes of God, the church, and the world.
(No man is to be ordained a minister for a particular congregation, if they of that congregation can shew just cause of exception against him. [1 Tim. 3:2; Tit. 1:7.] 1647 Westminster Confession of Faith, FPG).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back