Improvisation on a Genevan Psalm at Cathédrale St-Pierre in Geneva

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen L Smith

Administrator
Staff member
For those of you with a particular interest in Genevan Psalms, here is a beautiful rendition of Psalm 47. Calvin's pulpit appears in the video too.

I recently discovered that the National Anthem of Switzerland was a Swiss Psalm. I did wonder if it was influenced by the Genevan Psalter.

I was quite moved by its words. I pray the people of Switzerland truly pray:

For we feel and understand
That God dwelleth in this land.
That God, the Lord, dwelleth in this land.

Speaking of Genevan psalms I recently learned that the site genevanpsalter.com was completely destroyed by malware. The owner is slowly trying to rebuild. This site was a great blessing to many.

I can't remember the last time we sang a Psalm in worship :candle:

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

That doesn't sound like any Genevan psalm tune that I'm familiar with. It sounds later.
Yes, the Swiss Psalm was created in 1841 and formally became the national anthem of Switzerland in 1981. That is why I asked if it was influenced by the Genevan Psalter rather than calling it an actual Genevan Psalter. I knew it was created in the 19th century.

Yes, the Swiss Psalm was created in 1841 and formally became the national anthem of Switzerland in 1981. That is why I asked if it was influenced by the Genevan Psalter rather than calling it an actual Genevan Psalter. I knew it was created in the 19th century.

Even then, I don't think there's any influence there. There's a certain sound in the Genevan tunes, I think it's related to the modes, and I don't hear it.

On the other hand, I'm told that there's a pop song by Seal that does in fact incorporate a Genevan melody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back