Impromptu Gettysburg Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herald

Administrator
Staff member
I had business to conduct in northern Frederick county for the second day in a row so I took the five minute drive off route 15 to Gettysburg, one of my favorite places. Here are some pics I took with my Blackberry Curve.

Wheatfield.jpg

Wheat Field (from Little Round Top)

Longstreet's Corps. pushed hard on the Union left on the second day of the battle. The Wheat Field was the furthest the Confederates were able to push.

theangle.jpg

The Angle

This was the convergence point during Pickett's Charge. The Confederate advance aimed at the center of the Union lines. The Confederates breached the Union line but in too small of numbers to divide the Federal army.

LittleRoundtop2.jpg

Little Round Top (from near Devils Den)

The front of Little Round Top was an elevated defensive position held by the Union army. It had a nearly sheer rocky face that made taking it by force nearly impossible.

LittleRoundtop.jpg

Little Round Top 2

Another view of Little Round Top

devilsden.jpg

Devils Den

This picture was taken from the top of Little Round Top. Devils Den is to the left. It was undulating terrain marked by huge rocks and boulders. Hood's units captured Devils Den, but it proved to be of no advantage as the ground prohibited launching an offensive.

ArkansasMonument.jpg

Arkansas Monument

This is for Josh! :lol: The Arkansas regiments were located to the far right of the Confederate lines.

20thMaine.jpg

20th Maine Monument

The 20th Maine regiment was the far left of the Union defensive position and faced a perilous attack by Confederate troops of Hill's division, Longstreet's Corps. The 20th Maine repulsed wave after wave of enemy attack until, after running out of ammunition, Col. Joshua Chamberlain, ordered a bayonet charge. The charge was successful and prevented the left flank of the Union army from being exposed.

3rdPA.jpg

Artillery on Little Round Top

Cannons from the 5th US Artillery (Hazard's Battalion). The Federal artillery had enfalade of fire on the Confederate troops as they assaulted Little Round Top.

baptistincrisis.jpg

Nutcase

This guy got in front of my Blackberry and hammed it up. Some people have no class.

My old stomping grounds. I grew up and spent 21 years of my life 20 miles west in Chambersburg. Found memories of the many days spent on those battle fields. Beautiful area.

Chris, I love visiting the battlefield in the winter time when it's not too cold. The place is still, almost with a hush. I've sat on those rocks and pondered what that battle must have been like. When I walk through Devils Den I could only imagine what it must have been like for Hood's troops, under cannon and musket fire, to advance.

20thMaine.jpg

20th Maine Monument

The 20th Maine regiment was the far left of the Union defensive position and faced a perilous attack by Confederate troops of Hill's division, Longstreet's Corps. The 20th Maine repulsed wave after wave of enemy attack until, after running out of ammunition, Col. Joshua Chamberlain, ordered a bayonet charge. The charge was successful and prevented the left flank of the Union army from being exposed.

Seeing this part in the movie Gettysburg made me cry. Only one of those reasons is because my side won!!! :worms:

20thMaine.jpg

20th Maine Monument

Seeing this part in the movie Gettysburg made me cry. Only one of those reasons is because my side won!!! :worms:

Okay now. I don't want this thread to degenerate into a battle 135 years late. The military aspect of the three day battle displayed heroism on both sides. We'll leave it at that.

Okay now. I don't want this thread to degenerate into a battle 135 years late. The military aspect of the three day battle displayed heroism on both sides. We'll leave it at that.
No doubt, brother. Gettysburg is a sobering and awe-inspiring place to experience. Been quite awhile.... maybe I need to make the 100 mile drive again soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back