Implications of this Kuyper quote for us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
What are the implications of the Abraham Kuyper quote for us as we go about our lives?

“In the total expanse of human life there is not a single square inch of which the Christ, who alone is sovereign,does not declare,'That is mine!'”

It has the implication that we are not our own, as 1 Corinthians 6:19 explicitly states,

“What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?”

In other words, we are to regard ourselves as God's property for His own purposes.

Last edited:
C.S. Lewis made a similar remark:

Finally, I agree with Brother Every that our leisure, even our play, is a matter of serious concern. There is no neutral ground in the universe: every square inch, every split second, is claimed by God and counterclaimed by Satan.

"Christianity and Culture"

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and have been trying to come to grips with it in my own life. It's easier for me to think that what's mine is really the church's -- talents, time, resources, caring, etc., etc. When thinking in those terms, the contributions I can make become clearer. But this might be a cop-out. The members of our church are fallen and can't shine a light of purity into the deepest parts of me that still says: but this really is mine, all mine!

I agree with Ruben, and my old pastor Rushdoony. There's simply no such thing as neutrality, and every modern attempt to claim there is, like the R2K blogger D.G. Hart's recent post claiming the Bible doesn't say anything about women soldiers, simply falls short. That doesn't mean there isn't a huge amount of Christian liberty. On the contrary, Christian liberty is an area where neutrality doesn't exist either. If someone tells me which Bible translation I have to read, or whether or not I can smoke a pipe (yuk) then they need to be slapped upside the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back