I'm New to Presbyterianism

Status
Not open for further replies.

kstachewicz

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello Puritan Board Folks,
I'm a former 1689 Baptist who has recently converted to Presbyterianism. In light of this, I am trying to "catch up" on some things. Specifically, can somebody help me understand the differences between the OPC and the PCA? Also, I am searching for a seminary to attend and need insight as to why so many people seem to have a negative opinion on Covenant Theological Seminary.

Thanks!

Hello Puritan Board Folks,
I'm a former 1689 Baptist who has recently converted to Presbyterianism. In light of this, I am trying to "catch up" on some things. Specifically, can somebody help me understand the differences between the OPC and the PCA? Also, I am searching for a seminary to attend and need insight as to why so many people seem to have a negative opinion on Covenant Theological Seminary.

Thanks!
For starters, the denominational seminary admitted a women into their MDiv program. Mdvis are for pastoral ministry and pastoral ministry is reserved for men in the denomination.

Some of Westminster Seminary (Philadelphia) classes are online under resources on the Gospel Coalition website. Listening to some might help you particularly if that is one of your choices. I believe there are both OPC and PCA faculty there. Actually visiting and talking to faculty at your top choices is a good idea, if possible.

Welcome to the PB, Kyle.

There is a whole bag of assorted P's out there (PCA, OPC, ARP, FPCNA, RPCNA, RPCUS, ETC., ETC.). Not a one of which is the perfect example of The Church on Earth. My advise to you is to find the most godly and biblical Presbyterian church in your area. Get to know and love the men of it's Session, then follow their wise counsel. They can confirm your calling and advise on the best avenue to perusing its fulfillment.

Blessings,

The OPC tends to be a bit more "conservative" than the PCA, but both are good, Bible-believing denominations. You'll probably find a greater range of styles and practices among PCA churches than in the OPC, but the advice to find the most godly congregation you can and attach to that one is wise.

I for one do not have a negative opinion of Covenant Seminary. I think it's one of several excellent Presbyterian and Reformed seminaries that have remained biblically faithful, each of which has its own strengths. People here are bound to disagree with some practices or some teachers at some of these seminaries, and may voice their concerns at times, but I would hope that in general you find us supportive of the PCA's denominational seminary.

Welcome to the PB, Kyle.

There is a whole bag of assorted P's out there (PCA, OPC, ARP, FPCNA, RPCNA, RPCUS, ETC., ETC.). Not a one of which is the perfect example of The Church on Earth. My advise to you is to find the most godly and biblical Presbyterian church in your area. Get to know and love the men of it's Session, then follow their wise counsel. They can confirm your calling and advise on the best avenue to perusing its fulfillment.

Blessings,

Thanks! This was helpful!

Thanks for the input! I've had a few people in two separate presbyteries tell me that their ordination committees are skeptical of recent covenant grads and was wondering why this was so.

Things to look for in leadership: look for a church with evidence of a godly functioning elder board. Is the elder board more like a business board or a shepherding board given over to prayer and the word of God

Things to look for in preaching: A good pastor will have sermons exegetical enough to teach people in the long run how to read and study their Bibles better for themselves, there shoudl be equiping of the saints going on, he should also be doxologically worshipping his way though the sermon not merely providing great info, lifting people's affections, there should also be in the long haul ample material for life change toaward good orthoproxy, practice of faith in the world...

Welcome to PB.

Most stereotypes have some basis in truth but...

OPC is smaller and more homogeneous. PCA is larger and covers a much broader range - from more conservative to more liberal. There is also a range in how well PCA presbyteries practice discipline.

Now for the stereotypes. OPC is considered more inward looking, maintaining quality at the expense of quantity. PCA is more outward looking, valuing quantity over quality. To some extent, those stereotypes are dated, as the OPC has been moving toward more outreach, and PCA growth has flattened in recent years.

With OPC, you are likely to get a known quantity. With the PCA, you need to show much more discernment in picking a church.

I've had a few people in two separate presbyteries tell me that their ordination committees are skeptical of recent covenant grads and was wondering why this was so.

Perhaps you should ask those persons directly why they feel this way.

Welcome to PB.

Most stereotypes have some basis in truth but...

OPC is smaller and more homogeneous. PCA is larger and covers a much broader range - from more conservative to more liberal. There is also a range in how well PCA presbyteries practice discipline.

Now for the stereotypes. OPC is considered more inward looking, maintaining quality at the expense of quantity. PCA is more outward looking, valuing quantity over quality. To some extent, those stereotypes are dated, as the OPC has been moving toward more outreach, and PCA growth has flattened in recent years.

With OPC, you are likely to get a known quantity. With the PCA, you need to show much more discernment in picking a church.

I feel this is a pretty accurate assessment.

A few months back, PCA Pastor Andy Webb wrote an article, "Five Reasons It Might Be Time to Leave the PCA". Many will disagree with Pastor Webb, but his article is a good start to understanding some of the main points of criticism leveled at the PCA.

Some seminaries I'd suggest you consider:
Reformed Presbyterian Theological Seminary
Greenville Presbyterian Theological Seminary
Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back