I'm looking for a recent Tim Keller video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

reaganmarsh

Puritan Board Senior
Brethren,

I am trying unsuccessfully to locate a fairly recent Tim Keller interview. He was on a college campus (I think) and some of his comments on homosexuality caused a stir.

But I cannot for the life of me find it...even opened Chrome's "history" and went back several weeks...no dice.

Can anyone help me and post a link to it? I want to ascertain that I understood Dr. Keller's remarks correctly; a brother in the Lord asked me a question that triggered one of those "Where have I heard that before?" moments, and I'm attempting to respond to him.

I am not interested in starting a debate on Keller's merits or demerits.

(And Mods, if this is the wrong forum in which to post this thread, my apologies; I wasn't certain which would be most appropriate).

Thank you in advance for your help! Grace to you all.

The video is four years old, and people have been talking about for at least two years, but Dr. Gagnon did not find it until recently.

I hope this doesn't venture off topic into areas that the thread wasn't intended for (it is not intended as a statement on the minister about whom I know very little), but having read through the remarks yesterday and thinking since especially about the way they cast the nature of sin, I couldn't help contrasting the inherent idea of ethics with this by Geerhardus Vos:

'[Ethics] are not, however, represented as independent of religion, much less as the sole content of religion; but they are the product of religion. Genesis 17:1 contains a classic expression of this: 'I am El-Shaddai; walk before me and thou shalt be blameless.' The 'walking before Jehovah' pictures a constant presence of Jehovah as walking behind Abraham, and supervising him. The thought of divine approval furnishes the motive for obedience. Also the force of El-Shaddai must be noticed. What shapes Abraham's conduct is not the general thought of God as moral ruler, but specifically the thought of El-Shaddai, who fills life with miraculous grace. Thus morality is put on a redemptive basis and inspired by the principle of faith.'

If sin has primarily to do with our regard for and relationship to one another and rather than to the Lord, holiness loses the utter sweetness of being in God's presence, which is able to miraculously renew and transfigure the wasted years and the barren struggles of life. And so our striving against sin loses also so much of its transcendent joy and hope (and so much possibility for 'human flourishing') in being taught the ways and character of our renewing God. Everything is diminished and dry as dust if love of God is not the context for ethics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back