I'm Concerned a Member of the Board might be...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semper Fidelis

2 Timothy 2:24-25
Staff member
well I just don't know.

My former Pastor in Temecula e-mailed me about a prominent member of the PuritanBoard. He claims to be some sort of Conjurer but he also says he's reformed.

I decided to check out a web site and found the below. I read what the man could do with cards and my skin just started crawling and the hair on the back of my neck stood up on end.

I'm scared and I don't know what to do. Should we see if he weighs as much as a duck?

http://www.cardconjurer.com/article4_queens_holiday.htm
The Sisters Traveling on Vacation
by Dr. C. Matthew McMahon

I have to admit, I cannot recall where or when I learned this little routine, or if I simply conjured it up one day myself. Its one of those manipulations that I use so often, I cannot remember if I invented it, or someone else. There is no doubt, that the change which occurs was not my invention, but simply a variation on a single card change. It is, however, one of my favorite "easy" card tricks, and leaves the spectator quite amazed. It relies mainly on your ability to perform well, and use some calm misdirection. I have never had anyone expose the routine, and they are always quite amazed and baffled at the result. The more simple it is, the more amazing it will seem.

The Presentation:

The Card Conjurer explains that one time in England's history there were four princesses who loved one another so much, that they did everything together as best friends and sisters would. They went to school together, ate together, sat together, sang together, and did everything good sisters should do.

At this point, while you have been speaking, you place the four queens in a row, face-up on the table. Then, you are to place one card face down on top of each queen, while allowing the queens to show. You deal two more rounds of face up cards on top of each queen until you have dealt three indifferent cards on each one of the queens. Be sure to allow the spectator to see the queens the entire time, and never hide them from view - yet.

You continue: It came to pass that the four sisters decided to go to America together on a holiday. (Ask the spectators what city they would like to visit). Ah, yes, they wanted to go to [CITY] as well.

At this point, turn the queens face down, then turn the indifferent three card on top of each, face down as well. The queens are left in their original position. They are, then, the bottom card of each of the four packets.

The four piles of cards are placed one on top of each other, and then placed on top of the rest of the deck. The Card Conjurer deals the top sixteen cards into four groups, dealing one card at a time. The fourth pile naturally is comprised of the four queens, and the pile is marked by turning the bottom queen in the group face up so the spectator can see that one card protruding underneath the other three queens which remain face down.

You say: Now you see, here are the queens all together. But, they have not reached their destination. They have stopped off at Houston, but we know they are on their way to [CITY].

The Card Conjurer allows the spectator to choose one of the other three piles as the destination city. Its a free choice. The bottom card of that pile is turned face up like the queen - protruding and seen. Now the performer states that wherever he places the first queen, the other queens, being loyal sisters, will follow readily. The Card Conjurer transfers the face-up queen to the pile selected by the spectator placing it face down on top of this pile. The face-up indifferent card at the bottom of the spectator's selected pile is brought over to the top of pile where the face-up queen was, and it is placed faced down on top of that pile. They have switched places. But what of the other cards?

The Card Conjurer may perform here any "abracadabra" movements or gestures he would like. I simply like to wave my hand over the cards while saying "Watch closely..." and then after about five seconds I ask, "Did you see the other three sisters follow?" At this point, immediately turn up the two piles, queens first, then the indifferent card pile. The queens are found nestled together in the spectator's choice and city. And the pile where the queens were thought to be sitting at first, is shown the four indifferent cards.

well I just don't know.

My former Pastor in Temecula e-mailed me about a prominent member of the PuritanBoard. He claims to be some sort of Conjurer but he also says he's reformed.

I decided to check out a web site and found the below. I read what the man could do with cards and my skin just started crawling and the hair on the back of my neck stood up on end.

I'm scared and I don't know what to do. Should we see if he weighs as much as a duck?
I'm ok with people being reformed and drinking some alcohol, and I'm even ok if they're reformed and they smoke cigars, cigarettes, and pipes, but I draw the line when someone claims to be reformed and also claims to be some sort of a Conjurer. The two just don't mix - its like oil and water or baptist and presbyterian. I assume, Rich, as an administrator that you'll be carrying out the responsibilities you've been entrusted with and ensuring that this Conjurer is banned, correct? A little leaven, and all...

I have no problem with Matt's conjuring. My concern is with the second sentence in the next to last paragraph.

"The Card Conjurer allows the spectator to choose one of the other three piles as the destination city. Its a free choice."

Surely he can't mean that. This isn't even the nose of the camel under the tent, this is all the camels and the magi riding them. Oh no, this cannot be glossed over. This is pelagianism in it's most raw and vulgar form. :smug:

"The Card Conjurer allows the spectator to choose one of the other three piles as the destination city. Its a free choice."

Surely he can't mean that. This isn't even the nose of the camel under the tent, this is all the camels and the magi riding them. Oh no, this cannot be glossed over. This is pelagianism in it's most raw and vulgar form. :smug:
Free choice of pelagianism, yet he claims to be reformed? Now that's a trick. I wonder how that trick is done...my guess, its done with mirrors.

<angry crowd>
BAN HIM! BAN HIM! BAN HIM!
</angry crowd>

I didn't get the memo. How long does the Pile On Matt event last? Is this Pile On Matt Day or Week or Month? Is this allowable under the constraints of the Publick Directory for Worship. I'm enjoying it but I don't want to abuse my christian liberty (just Matt).

I didn't get the memo. How long does the Pile On Matt event last? Is this Pile On Matt Day or Week or Month? Is this allowable under the constraints of the Publick Directory for Worship. I'm enjoying it but I don't want to abuse my christian liberty (just Matt).
You didn't get the memo? Its until sundown today. After that, its "Pile on Bob Day", so with a name like yours, I'd be concerned, if I were you.

Bob

Rich, you are a funny guy!

Thanks for the laugh gents.

I've been involed with "cards" since seminary (funny place to pick it up eh?). I was sick in bed, bored out of my mind for a week with th flu, and bought "Hat Full of Magic" from Toys R Us and that was the end of it.

As a matter of fact, I actually "paid off" my seminary education by perfomring card manipulation and having a magic act. So right from the "get go" the hobby turned lucrative!

Now I'm trying to launch something internet based that will "keep card magic classic" instead of all the "non-family oriented" magic that is out there today - whether it be grunge, or women skimpily clad running around on stage, or just blatantly satanic based garbage like "cold reading" and the tarot cards. Though many magicians will tell people "this is purely for entertainment" - the devil doesn't think so. And those involved with such things believe in it when they come to have a "reading" done. That kind of garbage is just that - garbagio.

As you can see (if you visited www.cardconjurer.com and watched a video or two), I simply love card magic and the "mysterious" element of how things are accomplished. I like it old style too.

One Christian said to me, "How do you square being a "Conjurer" with being a "Christian?" I said, "Let me show you..." I faned a deck of cards and said, "Pick a card." HE DID! Then I asksed him the same question in participating in "such evil things!" He laughed, and got it. Five minutes later he was "astounded" by the "traveling queens".

Personally, I like things that are "up close" "personal" and "in your hand."

And, let it never be said that I'm not a glutton for punishment, I'm working on a Doctorate in Card Magic right now with the Magicians' Society. As much as I love to read and write and prepare sermons, I also love Card Conjuring! When you can make your hobby work for you, always go for it, even if it takes a little time. Its worth it in the end.

Well, personally I think we should put you in a pair of balancing scales with a duck to see if you are made of wood. And then drown you.

'(s)He turned me into a newt'

'A newt?'

'Well, I recovered...'

Last edited:
I have no problem with Matt's conjuring. My concern is with the second sentence in the next to last paragraph.

I actually know a really good card-trick that uses that same step, having the spectator choose from several piles of face down cards. They will always end up with the final pile containing the card they picked. They continue selecting between groups of cards until all that is left is a single face down card that happens to be the one they selected at the begining of the trick.

It's a great trick and shows how easily we think our choices are free when in effect, I make them choice the right piles. I don't have to coerce them, I just allow them the illusion that they are choosing freely.

PS: Don't even ask. I wont' tell.

Last edited:
Rich, you are a funny guy!

Thanks for the laugh gents.

I've been involed with "cards" since seminary (funny place to pick it up eh?). I was sick in bed, bored out of my mind for a week with th flu, and bought "Hat Full of Magic" from Toys R Us and that was the end of it.

As a matter of fact, I actually "paid off" my seminary education by perfomring card manipulation and having a magic act. So right from the "get go" the hobby turned lucrative!

Now I'm trying to launch something internet based that will "keep card magic classic" instead of all the "non-family oriented" magic that is out there today - whether it be grunge, or women skimpily clad running around on stage, or just blatantly satanic based garbage like "cold reading" and the tarot cards. Though many magicians will tell people "this is purely for entertainment" - the devil doesn't think so. And those involved with such things believe in it when they come to have a "reading" done. That kind of garbage is just that - garbagio.

As you can see (if you visited www.cardconjurer.com and watched a video or two), I simply love card magic and the "mysterious" element of how things are accomplished. I like it old style too.

One Christian said to me, "How do you square being a "Conjurer" with being a "Christian?" I said, "Let me show you..." I faned a deck of cards and said, "Pick a card." HE DID! Then I asksed him the same question in participating in "such evil things!" He laughed, and got it. Five minutes later he was "astounded" by the "traveling queens".

Personally, I like things that are "up close" "personal" and "in your hand."

And, let it never be said that I'm not a glutton for punishment, I'm working on a Doctorate in Card Magic right now with the Magicians' Society. As much as I love to read and write and prepare sermons, I also love Card Conjuring! When you can make your hobby work for you, always go for it, even if it takes a little time. Its worth it in the end.

I've missed the humor in all this. Maybe it's my Baptist inclinations. Either way, my reaction is markedly different from everyone else's collective laughter.

Instead of card tricks, I'd rather write Christian fiction.

Entertainment value? GIVE ME A HOCKEY GAME INSTEAD!!!

Well, contrary to what some people with gnostic tendencies may say, hockey is something we have liberty of conscience about. For instance, just because I don't like it doesn't mean I should criticize you when you watch it.

I actually know a really good card-trick that uses that same step, having the spectator choose from several piles of face down cards. They will always end up with the final pile containing the card they picked. They continue selecting between groups of cards until all that is left is a single face down card that happens to be the one they selected at the begining of the trick.

It's a great trick and shows how easily we think our choices are free when in effect, I make them choice the right piles. I don't have to coerce them, I just allow them the illusion that they are choosing freely.

PS: Don't even ask. I wont' tell.

That good! Never tell. ITs fun to keep secrets that way too!

:cheers2:

Well, contrary to what some people with gnostic tendencies may say, hockey is something we have liberty of conscience about. For instance, just because I don't like it doesn't mean I should criticize you when you watch it.
Meg, I think you missed my point.

Comparing hockey with card magic is like comparing apples with oranges in just about every sense. That's why I made it abundantly clear that I'd rather be given a hockey game instead.

I know this is taking it off on another tangent, but I couldn't understand why Matt liked a movie called The Illusionist. After seeing what he's doing on the side, now it all makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back