If You Were To Name A Son After A Scotsman?

Discussion in 'General discussions' started by Rutherglen1794, Jul 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bookslover

bookslover Puritan Board Doctor

That's the problem I had. I don't why the Puritan Board's software thinks it knows how to spell better than we do!

2. Tom Hart

Tom Hart Puritan Board Senior

I found something online (no solid sources, though) that said the apostrophe was commonly used from the 18th to the 20th centuries, and in the 20th century the superscripted c became fashionable.

In Irish and Scottish Gaelic, the word mac means "son". For whatever reason, in Irish surnames, Mac is usually Anglicised as "Mc", while Scottish names are more often written, in English, with "Mac", with, usually, the second part of the name also capitalized, although not always.

So, ordinarily,

Irish Mac Domhnall becomes "McDonald"
    Scottish Mac Domhnaill becomes "MacDonald" or "Macdonald".

This doesn't answer why the apostrophe came into use, nor why it has since fallen out of use. I had expected it's merely a spelling convention that reflected the pronunciation, but apparently that's not the case, since (according to Wikipedia) "M'Cheyne" is pronounced "Mak-Shayn". (All this time I've been saying it wrong.)

Out of curiousity, does anyone know whether Robert Murray M'Cheyne spoke Gaelic?

3. Rutherglen1794

Rutherglen1794 Puritan Board Sophomore

If the pronunciation is Mak-Shayn, is the spelling actually MacCheyne, instead of M'Cheyne?

Too inconclusive at this point to commit to a son’s name.

4. Tom Hart

"MacCheyne" would follow the ordinary rules for Anglicising a Scottish Gaelic name. However, those rules are by no means consistently applied.

In this case, "M'Cheyne" is by far the most common spelling, although some references to him are written "M'Cheyne". (There's a M'Cheyne Memorial Church named after him in Dundee.)

5. iainduguid

iainduguid Puritan Board Sophomore

The building is usually referred to as Mc Cheyne, even in posts referring to the man as M'Cheyne. E.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Murray_M'Cheyne

6. Stephen L Smith

Stephen L Smith Moderator Staff Member

My surname comes from Scotland; from a strong covenanting area I believe.

7. Tom Hart

Oops! That's what I meant to write. I'm getting my M'Cheynes mixed up with McCheynes.

8. Tom Hart

Hmm. That's what I did write. For some reason I can't change it.

9. Joshua

Joshua Administrator Staff Member

So what're you gonna name the two Scots, and why does your future son have to wait for them to be named first? :think:

10. Gabriel Barnes

Gabriel Barnes Puritan Board Freshman

Yes, I like that one as well. :)

11. earl40

earl40 Puritan Board Professor

William MacDougal

12. Rutherglen1794

William M’Dougal?

13. earl40

earl40 Puritan Board Professor

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Rutherglen1794

Ha!

So another question for you all:

In choosing these names, have the men had an impact on your own lives? Or do you simply like the sound of their names as they work with your own surnames? A combination?

What would be your thought process in choosing?

Thanks.

15. Herald

Herald Administrator Staff Member

My paternal side hails from Scotland. I was purposefully named after William Wallace, well before Braveheart became a thing.

16. Jake

Jake Puritan Board Junior

A good old school Presbyterian who eschews holy days. Too bad he is a part of his local mainline Presbyterian-Lutheran church.

17. Johnathan Lee Allen

Johnathan Lee Allen Puritan Board Freshman

Houston is a family name of mine from Scotland. Pronounced "house ton" I believe.

18. Johnathan Lee Allen

Johnathan Lee Allen Puritan Board Freshman

Houston Rutherford Cross has a good ring to it. You could call him Huey for short!

"What's the news today, Huey?" :)

19. jambo

jambo Puritan Board Senior

Name him Stuart, after me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.