If you could only recommend one book, or body of writing related to Amillennialism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl Copsey

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi! A pastor friend of mine is going through various topics, all concerning their current statement of faith. He is taking all the elders and leaders of the church through a study before they begin the possibility of revising there statement of faith.

I'm Amil. This church is techinically dispensational, though open. My pastor friend is neither Amil or dispensational. He has asked me to recommend a book on the Amil position that would be good for his people to discuss and think about. The idea is to understand other views. I REALLY admire what he is doing.

------------------------------------------------------------
So.... (1) if you had to give only one book to someone with this request, and most were only familiar with dispensationalism....what book would give you the opportunity you are looking for?

And, (2) the same question for the argument concerning the 70 weeks of Daniel? What work would you throw their way?
------------------------------------------------------------

I'm undecided about the second question, but the first, I may recommend Cornelius Venema's shorter volume, "Christ and the future," Or "The Millennial Maze" by Stanley Grenz. What about you....?

Thanks in advance!

Millard Erickson's Views on Eschatology, or whatever it is called, is pretty good. He comes down as historic premil, but he gives a good survey.

The Case for Amillennialism by Kim Riddlebarger really helped me to come out of dispensationalism. It probably has a lot of what you are looking for.

The Case for Amillennialism by Kim Riddlebarger really helped me to come out of dispensationalism. It probably has a lot of what you are looking for.

That is a fantastic book....along with his book, "The Man of Sin."

"A Case For Amillennialism" is on my list. But, I can only choose one. But I have not counted it out yet!

Perhaps More Than Conquerers by William Hendriksen. If you're not familiar with it, it's a commentary on Revelation. It's relatively brief, devotional and makes Revelation less speculatively fantastic and more devotional from an Amil perspective.

Perhaps More Than Conquerers by William Hendriksen. If you're not familiar with it, it's a commentary on Revelation. It's relatively brief, devotional and makes Revelation less speculatively fantastic and more devotional from an Amil perspective.

Hi! Agreed! That is sitting on my shelf full of underlines, a multitude of colors and notes!

Biblical Theology of the Old and New Testament by G. Vos. I have found eschatology to be best understood by broader readings in the history of redemption. The Pauline Eschatology was helpful, but mostly as a more focused viewing of topics begun in Biblical Theology.

This is a nine page intro to amil in a Q&A format. Very basic.

https://perimeter-files.s3.amazonaws.com/podcasts/pope/f-Millennium.pdf

Maybe I am moving into cynicism here, but books are probably not going to get you anywhere. People don't read. Maybe the church leaders will and maybe a few folks will, in which case personally I loved Riddlebarger. But otherwise I would start with this little 9 pager.

Having done three church libraries over the years, and watched books gather dust, I'd suggest that if you can find DVDs to watch or audios that can be listened to while driving you might have more impact than with books. Which is why I would start with this little nine pager and forget books. Most people will read it if asked.

We had an old bootleg set of Riddlebarger lectures made from cassettes that became his book, and they were great. I am not sure if he ever redid them as CDs . His Daniel Chapter 9 was tremendous. Maybe you can check out his site for audios.

It is wonderful that you are getting an opportunity to share Covenantal theology. May God greatly bless your efforts and open their eyes.

Just an aside- I was a new Christian with my bible and my Hal Lindsey, when the guy who I married over three years later gave me a little amil thing to read, and I don't even remember what it was. Some essay from a class at WTS perhaps. I remember it was like this astonishing bright light about what Jesus really did and it made so much sense. That one essay awoke a hunger in me for theology (I was in charismatic mush). It is a beautiful subject.

Carl, it would hands-down be this one: The High King of Heaven, by Dean Davis, as it examines the hermeneutical underpinnings of all the views, and only the Amillennial (present millennium) is left standing. It's a large book, and full of rich material. I know of no other books that deal exclusively with the hermeneutic method; plus it's quite readable. Here is an excerpt Dean has allowed me to post here previously:

Attachments

• End-Time_view_Critiques.pdf
    238.4 KB · Views: 9
That would be a standard text on this issue.

Carl, it would hands-down be this one: The High King of Heaven, by Dean Davis, as it examines the hermeneutical underpinnings of all the views, and only the Amillennial (present millennium) is left standing. It's a large book, and full of rich material. I know of no other books that deal exclusively with the hermeneutic method; plus it's quite readable. Here is an excerpt Dean has allowed me to post here previously:
Yes I second this. This book is particularly helpful as it starts with the question of what is the hermeneutical framework for creating a consistent eschatology. I love many Amill books on eschatology but find this one particularly helpful.

Indeed.

See also:
https://www.puritanboard.com/thread...pretation-of-zechariah-14.93789/#post-1144974

And while recommending the Dutch I somehow overlooked A. Hoekema! Jay Adams The Time is at Hand is a different take on the usual Amill position as it takes a preterist stance.

David, I have – or at least read extensively in it, using it for reference. I understand that Cornelis P. Venema's The Promise of the Future has replaced Hoekema's work as the eschatology textbook in seminaries as it is more current.

My favorite of Riddlebarger's is his, The Man of Sin: Uncovering the Truth about the Antichrist, as he examines most all of the Scripture passages – both OT and New – pertaining to this one, and ties them together beautifully, though his Amil book is also good.

Actually, if one wants a book to give to Dispensationalists that might lead them out of that towards Amil, the best book is Vern Poythress's book Understanding Dispensationalists. The brilliance of the book is that it is so very fair to Dispensationalism, such that one feels like he knows it from the inside. He then addresses the hermeneutical issues required for understanding the scope of Scripture before one can really leave Dispensationalism.

Actually, if one wants a book to give to Dispensationalists that might lead them out of that towards Amil, the best book is Vern Poythress's book Understanding Dispensationalists. The brilliance of the book is that it is so very fair to Dispensationalism, such that one feels like he knows it from the inside. He then addresses the hermeneutical issues required for understanding the scope of Scripture before one can really leave Dispensationalism.
in the past who seemed to be able to hold to a Covenant premil position, such as a Spurgeon. This would be really attractive to fellow baptists like myself coming to holding more of a reformed outlook.

This is a nine page intro to amil in a Q&A format. Very basic.

https://perimeter-files.s3.amazonaws.com/podcasts/pope/f-Millennium.pdf

Maybe I am moving into cynicism here, but books are probably not going to get you anywhere. People don't read. Maybe the church leaders will and maybe a few folks will, in which case personally I loved Riddlebarger. But otherwise I would start with this little 9 pager.

Having done three church libraries over the years, and watched books gather dust, I'd suggest that if you can find DVDs to watch or audios that can be listened to while driving you might have more impact than with books. Which is why I would start with this little nine pager and forget books. Most people will read it if asked.

We had an old bootleg set of Riddlebarger lectures made from cassettes that became his book, and they were great. I am not sure if he ever redid them as CDs . His Daniel Chapter 9 was tremendous. Maybe you can check out his site for audios.

It is wonderful that you are getting an opportunity to share Covenantal theology. May God greatly bless your efforts and open their eyes.

Just an aside- I was a new Christian with my bible and my Hal Lindsey, when the guy who I married over three years later gave me a little amil thing to read, and I don't even remember what it was. Some essay from a class at WTS perhaps. I remember it was like this astonishing bright light about what Jesus really did and it made so much sense. That one essay awoke a hunger in me for theology (I was in charismatic mush). It is a beautiful subject.

Hi there! Yes, I have ALL the Riddlebarger mps'3. Those are outstanding. I really like the series that Arturo Azrudia had done.

Surprisingly, I had not heard of that volume. It is on my order list....moved to the top...as of now!

And while recommending the Dutch I somehow overlooked A. Hoekema! Jay Adams The Time is at Hand is a different take on the usual Amill position as it takes a preterist stance.

Love many Dutch Reformed authors! In fact, my favorite Systematic is Wilhemus a'Brakel's, "A Christians Reasonable service."

Hoekema is great! I looked up the book by Adams, "The Time is at Hand." Couldn't find a copy for under $80!!!

I would agree! I read that book a few months ago. Anything by Poythress, that I've read so far, is VERY good and always VERY fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back