If you "came out" as a Calvinist to Arminian friends and relatives...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they are truly semi-Pelagian, then reprobation is the least of your problems. Semi-Pelagianism is rank heresy. I would run from that church as fast as I could.

Article 11 - Election
11-1 Election is a free act of the sovereign God in which from eternity,1
for reasons known only to Himself,2 and apart from any foreseen faith
and/or goodness found in man,3 He graciously chose from among the
fallen mankind a people unto salvation, that they might be conformed
to Christ’s image.4 Those so chosen He redeemed by His Son5 and seals
by His Spirit.6

I want Reprobation added to that above article, because you cannot have Election without Reprobation.

If they are truly semi-Pelagian, then reprobation is the least of your problems. Semi-Pelagianism is rank heresy. I would run from that church as fast as I could.

Article 11 - Election
11-1 Election is a free act of the sovereign God in which from eternity,1
for reasons known only to Himself,2 and apart from any foreseen faith
and/or goodness found in man,3 He graciously chose from among the
fallen mankind a people unto salvation, that they might be conformed
to Christ’s image.4 Those so chosen He redeemed by His Son5 and seals
by His Spirit.6

I want Reprobation added to that above article, because you cannot have Election without Reprobation.

Then why did you call them seminPelagian?

Moderation

I was hoping the discussion would drift back to the original question, but it seems to want to wander.

Please get back to the original subject of this thread:
If you "came out" as a Calvinist to Arminian friends and relatives...
What was/is their reaction?

Thanks.

Then why did you call them seminPelagian?

If you heard the preaching you would know what I mean. My church is Semi-Reformed "on the letter", but in spirit they are a bunch of free will loving heretics. There are a handful of truely reformed men there I must admit, but the greater majority I can't stand to listen to.

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

Please get back to the original subject of this thread:

Yes sir. Is that gavel in your hand? Lol!

This is a good example about dealing with people with differing views, and we are basically on the same side here.

Make it 50-fold for a cage match coming back from "them."

I sometimes get to the point that I reply to those who incessantly oppose Calvinistic/Reformed/Covenant theology much like RC Sproul Jr. once replied to a man who pressed him on Calvinism being heretical. I cannot remember the exact words, but he said something to the effect of, "Sir, if you believe Calvinism to be heresy then, for the sake of your soul, keep far from it."

Both my family and in-laws will occassionally throw some barbs at us (like making ignorant comments about something Calvin supposedly taught, infant baptism, or a "person's responsibility to make their choice for God), but we are not included in any spiritually related conversation at all, despite the fact that both our families are heavily involved in church, and some are pastors. We have no credibility with them. So in many ways, although they are usually polite, we feel like strangers in our own homes. Holidays with the family are very, very lonely.

On the other hand, my dad has become just the slightest bit open to discussing things, if not outright reformed, at least in a round-about way. He read an RC Sproul book the last time they visited us ("Now That's a Good Question"). I did find out that his parents brought him to a Presbyterian Sunday School when he was little - that might explain why he doesn't panic at the word "Presbyterian". He and my mom both actually enjoy our (comparitively) boring, non-entertaining services. My mom, however, can also listen unquestioningly to Bill Johnson or C. Peter Wagner and "enjoy" their teaching just as much. :confused: With my in-laws, and our brothers and sisters, we get the silent treatment.

I am regarded as a freak. I come from a Pentecostal family with many pastors therein. I am a heretic that believes that once a person is "saved" they are secure for eternity. When in fact I am worse than they could possibly imagine. I am a hyper- calvinist that believes that the elect are secure from eternity and that God's people are justified by the imputed righteousness of Christ alone, and are forgiven by His once and for all sacrifice for them and them alone. Christ did not suffer and die for the reprobate.

About a year ago, my mother told me that the pastor at her church (Christ Wesleyan Church) teaches a "calvarminianism" and that I should come and listen. I sinned when I laughed at her. But when she asked why I was laughing, I told her it was because "Calvinism" & "Arminianism" cannot be reconciled. Then she asked what I meant, and I told her, Calvinists believe grace abounds to the chief of sinners, and Arminians believe grace abounds only if man makes a right use of it. And I said therefore the Arminian system destroys grace. SHe didn't like that one. She always thinks that I am personally attacking her, when I attack her Arminian views that are totally against Scripture.

To the Arminian, there is no other kind of Calvinist.

Everyone that I heard teach against our doctrine is say,

The hyper-calvinist believes in Total Depravity, [Really its total inability], Uncondtional Election, Limited Atonement [I prefer Particular Redemption], irresistible Grace [Which should be Effectual Grace] , & Perserverance of the Saints. [Which is just God keeping his promise to His people]

She always thinks that I am personally attacking her, when I attack her Arminian views that are totally against Scripture.

She has no idea that I care so much for her salvation. I cannot tell her how much I abhor her church because she will not see why, but only that I am against everything she believes therefore being against her. I pray to God every time this passes my mind that He would open her eyes and make ears hear, and bless her with a heart to understand so she will turn. This should be all of our prayers for everyone, even though we know that if a false prophet comes and deceives people It is God who sent the false prophet!

My family had no thoughts but Christianity is more on the back burner for them.
My friend when I told her and had our lovely conversation thought I was wrong but could not argue her point well. Now when I mention something she shrugs it off or gives me one of those baptist looks. LOL.
A para church ministry I ran with for most of my early Christian years flipped out when I started preaching/talking of Calvinism and reformed theology. (This was last year way before I became reformed, I was just a five pointer than anything else) I'm not happy to say this but our relationship has been cut. I and other Calvinist reformed folk are not welcomed in there fellowship and if they are they are told to shut up in short.

Being reformed in a non reformed Christian circle is always a tough fight.

The tide is turning and there is a reformation of sorts going on, at least in the SBC. I attend seminary at Southeastern Baptist seminary and almost everyone I talk to is Calvinist to one degree or another. I would not say that they are neccesarily reformed, but the days of rabid Arminianism and vitrolic anti-calvinism are on the way out in the SBC. Praise God that the efforts of so many godly men are coming to fruition.

I love giving a defense for why I believe to be the true hope that dwells in my heart. I think there is nothing greater in this world then standing among wicked men(me my self also being one of them) and proclaiming what is the Real Love of Our Good God & Why we ought to Love HIm & Cherish Him.

It got me kicked out of Calvary Community Church, Phoenix.

Within a year of my salvation, someone reported that I was speaking reformed theology that contradicted the almighty mega-pastor Mark Martin, within 2 months I received an audience with a senior pastor, who notified me that I was either not to speak or that I could leave. He was very up front with the fact that I would never be able to pursue deacon or elder positions (... like they even understand the roll of deacons or elders), and about 2 months after that we were in a new church.

My family has been graciously placed in a new, God glorifying, true church; one that believes what the Bible says...

When I talk to my parents about Reformed Theology, my mom is in agreement, while my dad still mostly holds to what he was taught through the Assemblies of God denomination. I enjoy the discussions with my parents, and I think my parents mostly enjoy them too. My wife was not Reformed when we got married, but she agrees with most everything I've taught her thus far. I try to answer her questions as she brings them up, but I always leave her room to disagree. I try not to press people too hard, I try to leave a little room for disagreement (even if we have to agree to disagree lol) and prefer a friendly discussion. I think with many people, it takes time for things to sink in, I know it did with me. I would really like to see my dad come to embrace the doctrines of grace, even if he does not, I am confident he will be in heaven with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Hard to say. My Mom is a 'spiritual' women. She believes in Jesus, but I think she is a universalist. And I don't mean a Christian Universalist. I am meaning to talk to her about her beliefs. I don't think my Dad believes in anything. I should also talk to him. My wife is kinda impartial to reformed theology. She is game for finding a reformed church. My in-laws are Baptists. Not sure what they would think. After posting this I am realizing I should share my faith more with my family hehe. Please pray for me that I do! :)

In my experience, the teaching of what we know as Calvinism, the doctrines of grace, et. al., has met with a strong resistance in the local community of the church here, which is primarily made up of many of the non-denominational denomination, Calvary Chapel.

We have a small home church of people that have come out of one of the local ones, and I more or less regularly hear that we are "stealing" people from their congregation.

It is sad and amusing at the same time: Sad, because it is an outright falsehood; amusing, because what they have done to people, over the years I have known of that church, is exactly what has resulted in their going from 3 full services down to 1 partially filled service, and has nothing whatsoever to do with the teachings of the truth of God, but rather, the mistreatment of those who sat under them

Perhaps that second reason should be listed as sad as well, and this is the amusing part: We have from 5-9 people attend on any given Sunday and Monday, and if what these people claimed were true, we could not seat all that have left their church!

I find the teachings of these people more Pelagian than Arminian, and their joining themselves to such evangelical luminaries as Dave Hunt, Norman Geisler, Rick Warren, along with not taking strong stands against the rising tide of relativistic humanism that is invading many churches is a very frightening sign; however, that there are those who do what they often advise - read the bible - and so leave their denomination, when they see the truth of God that disagrees with their piece-meal approach to the Scriptures, is encouraging, in these days.

Looked at me like I was insane. Thanks to the Lord, I managed to (well the Lord did) help them understand the 5 points and cleared several of their preconcived notions. 3-5 new Calvinists came out of my talks with my friends and family. Since I came out of Calvary Chapel people just resorted to tell people in my church not to talk to me anymore because I was "leading people away from the truth."

Calvinism was bad enough, but when I mentioned that I believe in baptizing babies........

...the response from my in-laws was "oh, then they will just get baptized by immersion after they choose to become Christians and make a real profession of faith? The baby water ting is just like a dedication? *sigh*

I told my dad and he just said, Okay. He remained a dispensationalist all his life and nothing I said about covenant theology would change his views. He is now where he can clearly see the error of his views. Plus he is enjoying what the early theologians refer to as the beautific vision of God.

My best friend at the time told me that I was going to get a millstone hung around my neck...that is until he became a Calvinist himself. :).

I came to the Doctrine of "Divine" Grace (Augustinian expression) while serving as a youth pastor in an IFB (Independent Fundamental Baptist) church. I actually opened up the Bible and started studying it (as opposed to just reading it). It is a mazing what you can "read" in the Bible. Of course this church is highly "free-will/semi-Pelagius and dispensational and I found myself recognizing the tenets of 'Open Theism' and out right heresy (i.e. "Since Satan is called the prince of the power of the air, then it must be that Satan has control over the weather and storms." Thus Katrina was the work of the devil.). My wife was a staunch IFB as is my family and most of hers. When I revealed to her (in layers of time) that I was no longer a KJV-onliest, I was Calvinist, and that I was (at the time) leaning (I am now there) toward Covenant Theology (she had NO idea what that was), I basically caused her to have a break down. It took two years of praying and studying and explaining (and yes arguing) before God brought her to where I went. But not without first being labeled a heretic, compromiser, New-evangelical, and (secretly with my family and hers) deceived and a cult. It has come be accepted that she and I are, "out there" and my mother-in-law will say, "We believe about the same, you just take man's free-will out of salvation". I had to resign my position at the church (my FIL was also on the pastoral staff) and started looking to pastor a reformed baptist church. I have been Elder of Preaching for 3 years and have been growing with the church (a former IFB church) in sound, Bible doctrine. Our families mark us off and we hardly ever speak of spiritual/theological things when together (which is really hard for me. I LOVE SCRIPTURE AND THEOLOGY!) I knew no one 5 years ago who was reformed. Now I am finding people everywhere (even from my IFB College) who are YR&Reforming. The cross comes with the Gospel's Truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back