If the Lord tarries, the next generation is going to have quite a good selection of Reformed resources to aid their studies -- Agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffR

Puritan Board Freshman
Oh i envy the next generation, i sense a lot of exciting historical Reformed translations in the works and on the horizon. Many translated from Latin, i hope i get to live to see some of them Polanus, de Moor etc. Towards the close of this month i should be able to provide any financial support where needed, RHB may still need help in producing the rest of Mastricht for example. There's like 100 English Puritan divines, and not even 10 Dutch divines in English ... soon to be rectified.

Oh i envy the next generation, i sense a lot of exciting historical Reformed translations in the works and on the horizon. Many translated from Latin, i hope i get to live to see some of them Polanus, de Moor etc. Towards the close of this month i should be able to provide any financial support where needed, RHB may still need help in producing the rest of Mastricht for example. There's like 100 English Puritan divines, and not even 10 Dutch divines in English ... soon to be rectified.
Why envy the next generation though? If you think about it, already there is so much Reformed literature in English, that a person couldnt read it all in a lifetime, even if reading were their full-time job. I came across this juxtapose when considering learning Latin. It is fairly cheap to learn Latin, with Latinum at around only $8 a month. But what it costs you is time. I could spend 5-10 years studying 2-3 hours a day, so I can fluently read Latin, or, I can access the works that are already in my native tongue. Sometimes we get the "more" disease, that is, thinking what is not accessible is of more value than what is. But even in future generations, they will still be limited to the spans of lifetimes which will still confine them to the amount they can read. Unless you need snippets of a document for research, a book unread is only a paper-weight. It is like having a freezer full of 1,000's of steaks, but only having a belly the size of a sandwich bag. While there is a sense of security in having all that meat, the only meat that keeps you alive, is the one you are presently digesting.

Why envy the next generation though? If you think about it, already there is so much Reformed literature in English, that a person couldnt read it all in a lifetime, even if reading were their full-time job. I came across this juxtapose when considering learning Latin. It is fairly cheap to learn Latin, with Latinum at around only $8 a month. But what it costs you is time. I could spend 5-10 years studying 2-3 hours a day, so I can fluently read Latin, or, I can access the works that are already in my native tongue. Sometimes we get the "more" disease, that is, thinking what is not accessible is of more value than what is. But even in future generations, they will still be limited to the spans of lifetimes which will still confine them to the amount they can read. Unless you need snippets of a document for research, a book unread is only a paper-weight. It is like having a freezer full of 1,000's of steaks, but only having a belly the size of a sandwich bag. While there is a sense of security in having all that meat, the only meat that keeps you alive, is the one you are presently digesting.
You diagnose me correctly, the More Disease!! I'd like to see 2 or 3 expansive Reformed Systems, probably all my life expectancy could handle. The future gen. i still affirm will be sitting pretty good, if they can at least concentrate still. Thanks Dave though for being a voice of reason :)

I don't envy the next generation. True there will be more reformed resources, but there will also be more nonsense out there to contend with. This world is turning into a dump and will be worse in coming years. I look forward to when Jesus takes possession of it and cleans out the filth. :)

I don't envy the next generation. True there will be more reformed resources, but there will also be more nonsense out there to contend with. This world is turning into a dump and will be worse in coming years. I look forward to when Jesus takes possession of it and cleans out the filth. :)
Good perspective, ... i sometimes forget what kind of world this is, when i read enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back