If the church's minister/pastor is a ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

blhowes

Puritan Board Professor
V. The purest churches under heaven are subject both to mixture and error;and some have so degenerated, as to become no churches of Christ, but synagogues of Satan.Nevertheless, there shall be always a church on earth, to worship God according to his will.
I was reminded of this while I was running an errand this morning. I passed by a church I attended summers when I was growing up, and saw on the sign out front the name of the minister of the church, a Reverend Karen ____ (can't remember the last name). My initial reaction when I see churches like that with a female minister is:

1) Its not a church I could ever attend, let alone join.
2) Its not of God, and the people there are just "playing church" - ie., meaning the scriptures don't appear to be the source of authority there and they're following man-made ideas of what a church should be.

I'm sure about the first one, but was speculating about the 2nd one, in light of the quote above.

A couple of question:

1) What's your initial reaction when you pass by a church who's minister is female?

2) In light of the above quote, could a church be 'of God' and blessed by God and still have a female minister? Can they be a 'solid church' scripturally, if having a female minister were their main negative?

3) Have you ever attended a church that, other than the fact that it had a female minister/pastor, you could see yourself joining?

Answer 1: The church is automatically in error. [KJV]I Corinthians 14:34[/KJV]
Answer 2: See Answer 1. It may possibly appear to be blessed.
Answer 3: Negative.

I was reminded of this while I was running an errand this morning. I passed by a church I attended summers when I was growing up, and saw on the sign out front the name of the minister of the church, a Reverend Karen ____ (can't remember the last name). My initial reaction when I see churches like that with a female minister is:

2) Its not of God, and the people there are just "playing church" - ie., meaning the scriptures don't appear to be the source of authority there and they're following man-made ideas of what a church should be.

I'm sure about the first one, but was speculating about the 2nd one, in light of the quote above.

A couple of question:

1) What's your initial reaction when you pass by a church who's minister is female?

2) In light of the above quote, could a church be 'of God' and blessed by God and still have a female minister? Can they be a 'solid church' scripturally, if having a female minister were their main negative?

3) Have you ever attended a church that, other than the fact that it had a female minister/pastor, you could see yourself joining?

1) I see if she is single and interested in a tandem ministry. ;)

2) No; emasculation of the male leadership (whether by assertive feminine teaching/teachers or laziness of the men) will lead to a gospel-less Christianity since God has ordained the gospel to be brought by the male sex. Choosing some other means than what God has chosen will always lead to destruction of the truth.

3) No, never.

1. :rant:

2. It may for a time appear blessed, but not by God. Disobedience to His clearly revealed will can never be blessed.

3. Never have, never will.

Not even a hint of debate in this thread...except perhaps Poimen's response to question 1 :lol:

A couple of question:

Scripture generally prohibits female ministers. Yet we still find extraordinary examples of women leading the church, as Deborah, Anna, the daughters of Phillip, et al. Such examples should be seen as irregular and w/o a special call from God I think women holding leadership roles is illicit. I believe that having women in any position of authority is bad b/c man is more fit to rule. There are many exceptions, still, in the interest of preserving social order the subjection of women should persist. One thing I think is important, even when we know a woman shouldn't be a minister but is ordained and officiating as such the efficacy of the office is not negated. The rites of the christian church preformed by her still have their power, and even her authority must be submitted to. Can there be extraordinary situations where a woman is both qualified and called to bear authority as in times past?

Scripture generally prohibits female ministers. Yet we still find extraordinary examples of women leading the church, as Deborah, Anna, the daughters of Phillip, et al. Such examples should be seen as irregular and w/o a special call from God I think women holding leadership roles is illicit. I believe that having women in any position of authority is bad b/c man is more fit to rule.
In fact, the man was created to rule. The woman was created to assist the man.

One thing I think is important, even when we know a woman shouldn't be a minister but is ordained and officiating as such the efficacy of the office is not negated. The rites of the christian church preformed by her still have their power, and even her authority must be submitted to.

How do you think this issue relates to the WCF's chapter on the sacraments? In particular, it made me think of its claim regarding the sacraments, saying of them, "neither of which may be dispensed by any, but by a minister of the Word lawfully ordained" (emphasis mine). At least at face value, that would seem to possibly suggest that not only are certain means of grace and authorities prohibited from being administered and exercised (respectively) by a female minister, but in fact simply cannot be administered or exercised as such.

Can there be extraordinary situations where a woman is both qualified and called to bear authority as in times past?

I would be inclined to suggest in the negative, largely because there are presently no extra-biblical cases of special revelation as there were in those days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back