'If God be for us'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Heidi, for posting this.

This air meant a great deal to me in graduate school in VA. I felt quite alone--and opposed-- at the University in the stance that I had taken for the gospel. I would frequently listen to sacred music on Sabbath afternoons after lunch and fellowship with the saints. Handel's Messiah was a favorite and I'll never forget upon a particular audition of it how the Lord used this air to encourage me, particularly the line "who makes intercession for us." That was just what I needed to hear--that in my distress, I enjoyed not only a past or future exercise of Christ's priestly office, but a present one, in that He was then and there, and always is, interceding for me at the right hand of the Father. Joy flooded my downcast soul and I rejoiced then, and do now, in Christ's present intercessory work on my, on our, behalf.

Peace,
Alan

Thank you Dr. Strange. I will love this piece even more knowing the comfort it brought to another of Christ's own at such a time. I can well understand how much less alone we are in the realisation that Christ is *even now* interceding for us.

That is the phrase I especially noticed this morning, praying about some situations with dear friends. However anxious we feel -- even however little grace we may seem to have in a needy hour -- we are safely kept through our Saviour's present prayers. He won't lose us now. There is comfort in praying for one another, because He is praying.

[video=youtube;OjVwLuLyR9A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjVwLuLyR9A[/video]

This is one of my most favorite parts of the Messiah.

Venky, Shammi, and I listened to Handel's Messiah on the way up to and back from Kokomo, Indiana for the final session of Presbytery last Friday. What a blessed time of hearing and singing God's word sung to beautiful composition!

I was in Choir in High School and our Teacher had us perform the Messiah every year. I didn't understand a single thing about the piece till I became a Christian in 1981. I have always been so thankful Mr. Wise did this for us. It was grueling work but we learned it and sang it. I was first tenor. Mr. Wise Loved The Lord and us kids. I miss him.

Randy that is an encouraging testimony that God's word does not come back to Him void, even though it doesn't seem to have immediate effect :). I'm sure your teacher would have loved to hear you singing the Messiah with your friends in the car.

I can't sing much at all, I'm afraid :). Like reading aloud, it wears me out too quickly. I wonder if I will be able to sing in heaven or if I will be able to sit somewhere quietly and full of delight (as I like to do now) hearing God's people sing about Him, sharing a little bit of His joy even in the imperfect voices whose praise He paid to hear with His own blood.

Taylor's choir sang a portion of Handel's Messiah. It was absolutely breath taking. I can't remember what part they sang, but it was special. I love Handel's Messiah as well. I'm hoping my girl's orchestra will play it at some point.

I can't sing much at all, I'm afraid :).

I can sing, but usually it's best that I don't for obvious reasons. I think we'll all be singing in heaven. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-3f_BXi_GI

I think this is beautiful. I can't remember if I sent you this or not, Heidi. Taylor's Choir Ensemble from Governor's School sang this two years ago. It was amazing.

Last edited:
Mindy I did get to see that one before and bookmarked and listened to it quite a few times -- very lovely :).

I'm sure your kids love to hear you sing. A mother's song are much more lasting and significant than a lot of merely substantial things they could give their kids -- especially through the hard times.

That was pretty awesome Mindy.

Heidi,
I love my Mommy to death! But she couldn't hit the side of a Barn with a Bass Fiddle in relation to singing or hitting a note vocally. She is constantly flat. She took up sign Choir. LOL. And that was still music to our hearts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back