Idolatry Definition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanny01

Puritan Board Freshman
Given the definition of an idol as an image or a false deity, what would you define as an idol? Is it proper to define abstract ideas/goals such as knowledge, education, family, work, and etc. as false gods in of themselves? It seems to me as though to me that we don't worship these things in a biblical sense but rather can help us reveal the true idolatry which is idolatry of self that manifests itself through all of these mediums. Asking for thoughts on this subject. Thanks!

Heidelberg 95:

"What is idolatry? Idolatry is to conceive or have something else in which to place our trust instead of, or besides, the one true God who has revealed Himself in His Word." 1

[1] Eph. 5: 5; Phil. 3: 19; Eph. 2: 12; Jn. 2: 23; 2 Jn. 1: 9; Jn. 5: 23; *Ps. 81: 8–9; *Matt. 6: 24; Ps. 62: 5–7 *Ps. 73: 25–26.

Heidelberg 95:

"What is idolatry? Idolatry is to conceive or have something else in which to place our trust instead of, or besides, the one true God who has revealed Himself in His Word." 1

[1] Eph. 5: 5; Phil. 3: 19; Eph. 2: 12; Jn. 2: 23; 2 Jn. 1: 9; Jn. 5: 23; *Ps. 81: 8–9; *Matt. 6: 24; Ps. 62: 5–7 *Ps. 73: 25–26.

To add to Tim's citation of the Heidelberg:
In the idol factory enterprise, business is always good....

Thanks for the replies. Would you see idolatry as being foundational to much sin in people's lives (not excluding myself :)) or merely attendant to other sins?

One could use the word "idolatry" only in a narrow sense of the worship of actual images. But that would miss many of the clear implications of Scripture, and it would ignore how the Bible itself extends idolatry beyond images (see Colossians 3:5, Ephesians 5:5, and 1 Samuel 15:23).

I say it is not only okay to define idolatry beyond the worship of images, but pastorally necessary in our culture. Modern idols as varied as sex, education, and kids' sports are quick to claim our supreme devotion as they promise happiness and/or success. It's important that we see how devotion to these things can quickly fill the same role idols had in ancient societies.

The definition of idolatry, according to Webster, is “the worship of idols or excessive devotion to, or reverence for some person or thing.” An idol is anything that replaces the one, true God. The most prevalent form of idolatry in Bible times was the worship of images that were thought to embody the various pagan deities. In reality, idols are impotent blocks of stone or wood, and their power exists only in the minds of the worshipers. Even today there are religions that bow before statues and icons, a practice forbidden by God’s Word. Throughout Catholic churches, institutions, convents, monasteries, and every other Catholic-affiliated building and shrine, there are paintings of God the Father, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, Mary, Joseph, and a myriad of canonized saints. There are statues in abundance; there are relics, such as bone fragments, said to have belonged to certain saints. Some shrines even contain pieces of wood purported to be part of Jesus’ cross. All of these things are held to be sacred objects worthy of high regard. The idolatry is rampant and fairly obvious to non-Catholics, yet Catholics do not believe they are committing idolatry. They have been cleverly taught to believe that they do not worship these idols; they simply “venerate” them. The problem is that “veneration” still gives honor and reverence to something and/or someone other than God; therefore, veneration is idolatry.

Thanks for all of the replies! Helpful for thinking through the hidden idols within my own life as there's still a tendency to treasure knowledge, posessions, my image, and general self-glory over the Lord Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back