Identifying contributors to the British and Foreign Evangelical Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Regretfully, I do not have access to the Wellesley Index, which would make things much easier, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a source that will tell us who were the contributors of individual articles in the British and Foreign Evangelical Review?

Regretfully, I do not have access to the Wellesley Index, which would make things much easier, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a source that will tell us who were the contributors of individual articles in the British and Foreign Evangelical Review?

According to my husband ...

The Wellesley Index would unfortunately not help, because it indexes the British and Foreign Review, and the two are not to be confused.

The early years of the BFER were reprinted articles from the Princeton Review and the Southern Presbyterian Review, which apparently are indexed somewhere (can't be more help than that I'm afraid), so some progress could be made by cross-referencing from there.

PhD theses on various Scottish authors (like Cunningham, Smeaton, Martin) on EThOS often have lists in their bibliographies of articles which the thesis writers have identified as belonging to these authors. Keddie's book on Smeaton has a list of articles which he's identified as Smeaton's.

The articles in the later years of the BFER (from 1871) are all published with signatures underneath. (Also from 1871 it became almost all original material.)

According to my husband ...

The Wellesley Index would unfortunately not help, because it indexes the British and Foreign Review, and the two are not to be confused.

The early years of the BFER were reprinted articles from the Princeton Review and the Southern Presbyterian Review, which apparently are indexed somewhere (can't be more help than that I'm afraid), so some progress could be made by cross-referencing from there.

PhD theses on various Scottish authors (like Cunningham, Smeaton, Martin) on EThOS often have lists in their bibliographies of articles which the thesis writers have identified as belonging to these authors. Keddie's book on Smeaton has a list of articles which he's identified as Smeaton's.

The articles in the later years of the BFER (from 1871) are all published with signatures underneath. (Also from 1871 it became almost all original material.)

Thanks, Cath; that information is very helpful. Checking the various PhD theses and other biographies is definitely a good place to start. Speaking of John Keddie, I just came across his article on Professor James MacGregor that lists some items in the BFER in the bibliography of MacGregor's writings. In some cases, it is fairly easy to figure out to whom the signatures belong. For instance, there is one article on Separatism in Ireland written by T.C., whom I know to be Thomas Croskery, as he was one of the main polemicists against the Plymouth Brethren. In other cases, it will require a bit more digging around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back