I stole a bible tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine came in today. It is in perfect shape and Ives been much more able to enjoy it than I was the e edition, which I also liked.

This:
https://goo.gl/kPeVxv

It is Reformational in the sense it was released to celebrate the 500 year anniversary of the Reformation. It contains no Confessions or Reformed specific references.

Thank you. I see the listing doesn't elucidate on the "information regarding the Reformation" and so it must be minimal. No doubt the workmanship with be high quality though.

Mine came in today. It is in perfect shape and Ives been much more able to enjoy it than I was the e edition, which I also liked.

Excellent. My tripod (a glorified selfie stick) came in and so I hope to do my review in the next few days. I hope to fill a gap as the YouTube reviews I've seen are of the higher end versions or the base model hardcover edition.

Thank you. I see the listing doesn't elucidate on the "information regarding the Reformation" and so it must be minimal. No doubt the workmanship with be high quality though.
Probably the best Reformational bible published was Pratt's edited NIV Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible. It is very hard to find and included all the Confessions with notes and links to the Confessions along with the usual cross references and plenty of articles on Reformed doctrines. It used to be online: http://thirdmill.org/studybible/ and ebook versions are available if one looks hard enough.

If you find one, expect to pay a handsome price for the leather versions, despite the NIV translation. The Ligonier Reformation Study Bibles came out of this initial collaboration between Pratt and Sproul. Ligonier's RSB is nice, but never has come up to the same level of depth in articles and notes that the SOTRSB possesses.

To compensate, and not wanting to ruin my leather SOTRSB, I found a hardbound version, removed all the Confessions and placed them in my own KJV reference bible, along with spending quite a bit of time making handwritten notes from all the other content in the SOTRSB to my bible. That took almost a year of effort off and on. I am currently annotating (about 15 minutes every other day or so) my personal bible with all the WCF chapter and paragraph proof texts. It has taken three years and I am only up to chapter 12.

Attachments

• WCF Cross References.txt
    58.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Probably the best Reformational bible published was Pratt's edited NIV Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible. It is very hard to find and included all the Confessions with notes and links to the Confessions along with the usual cross references and plenty of articles on Reformed doctrines. It used to be online: http://thirdmill.org/studybible/ and ebook versions are available if one looks hard enough.

If you find one, expect to pay a handsome price for the leather versions, despite the NIV translation. The Ligonier Reformation Study Bibles came out of this initial collaboration between Pratt and Sproul. Ligonier's RSB is nice, but never has come up to the same level of depth in articles and notes that the SOTRSB possesses.

To compensate, and not wanting to ruin my leather SOTRSB, I found a hardbound version, removed all the Confessions and placed them in my own KJV reference bible, along with spending quite a bit of time making handwritten notes from all the other content in the SOTRSB to my bible. That took almost a year of effort off and on. I am currently annotating (about 15 minutes every other day or so) my personal bible with all the WCF chapter and paragraph proof texts. It has taken three years and I am only up to chapter 12.
I wished that I was thinking in Reformed thoughts earlier in my walk with Christ, as a local bookstore was going out of business years ago, and had 50 % of all Bibles in stock, they had a genuine leather edition of that bible, for $40.00! Also had a genuine Cambridge leather 1881 edition for same price!

AMR, that is amazingly in-depth. That is quite the undertaking. I looked at the attachment...I am in awe of your dedication and knowledge.

There was an ebook version (i.e. MOBI, epub, and/or some similar format) of the NIV SOTR available for a while, but for some reason it doesn't appear to be available anymore. Laridian Electronic Publishing still does have it available. The advantage of that format is that you can use it with any translation.

Last edited:

The revised and current Reformation Study Bible edited by RC Sproul is now pretty close to this version, correct?

The revised and current Reformation Study Bible edited by RC Sproul is now pretty close to this version, correct?

The updated Ligonier version added the confessions and beefed up the study notes. I don't have that one. AMR would be able to give a better comparison, assuming he has the new Ligonier edition.

The articles will be one difference. The first edition of the New Geneva/Reformation Study Bible had 66 articles by J.I. Packer that were later published separately as "Concise Theology." The NIV SOTR replaced some of them with new articles that many found to be helpful. Thirdmill (Richard Pratt & co who produced it) thought that some of the original articles were redundant with the addition of the confessions and catechisms and so decided to remove some of them and replace them with some others.

(For legal reasons that I've never quite grasped, Thirdmill/Luder Whitlock and Ligonier/Sproul both ended up with rights to the original New Geneva Study Bible that was originally published in 1995 or so, (and later renamed the Reformation Study Bible) with Whitlock and Thirdmill revising it and putting out the NIV edition in 2003. Thirdmill has said that Zondervan and Luder Whitlock own the rights to the NIV Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible and that (from what I understand) there are no prospects of it being reissued at this point.)

I'm interested in the NKJV of that eventually. NKJV wasn't available in the last edition of the Reformation Study Bible.

I finally bit the bullet and ordered one last week. It arrived today.

There is indeed a market improvement in the quality of the paper. I ordered a TBS Westminster Reference at the same time. They both use similar if not identical creme colored paper, which makes for easier reading. If anything, the paper in the RHB is a bit thicker. I'll have to wait and see, but I may be tempted to make it my "main" Bible for a while. (If I do, that will make me wonder why I ordered the Westminster since the apparatus appears to be available online and I'm actually supposed to be downsizing my library.) The Dollaro Leather cover is also a bit thicker than my first run Genuine Leather.

I was however surprised to see that the copyright page indicates that this edition of the Reformation Heritage KJV Study Bible was printed in the USA despite the fact that it has been reported several times (including on the current page on RHB's website) that it is now being printed in the Netherlands by Jongbloed. Perhaps they simply didn't change the copyright page? Does anyone have one that indicates that it is printed in the Netherlands?

For those thinking of ordering, RHB has free media mail shipping for orders over $50. So you may want to take advantage of that and order something else of interest rather than paying the aforementioned $1.99 for postage, (which is their postage rate for orders of $25-49.99) even though that is also a great deal. They have a lot of small books that are $5 or less.

I was however surprised to see that the copyright page indicates that this edition of the Reformation Heritage KJV Study Bible was printed in the USA despite the fact that it has been reported several times (including on the current page on RHB's website) that it is now being printed in the Netherlands by Jongbloed. Perhaps they simply didn't change the copyright page? Does anyone have one that indicates that it is printed in the Netherlands?

Interesting. I never noticed that. Mine says "printed in USA" also. The Dollaro leather binding wasn't used in the first edition either. My version does indeed have the Romans 6:1-4 note change. So it has the second edition corrections. Like you I'd be curious if anyone has one indicating that it is Dutch printed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back