I stole a bible tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZackF

Puritan Board Professor
Well okay not really.... A great deal though! RHB has the Dollaro RH KJV Study Bible on sale for $48 plus 1.99 media shipping. I've been kicking this around over a year and finally pulled the trigger after so many saints have been edified by this study bible. Couldn't pass this up.

Very nice. I was told by Dr. Beeke when he was in town for a conference that the bumped bibles were in fine condition--only the box is slightly damaged. This can be a good way to get one for a great price.

NOTE: I don't know if the same applies to the hardbacks. It is true for the leather and leather-like ones, though.

Zack, That was a very good deal on that bible, was it in genuine leather?
And that is version by Dr Beeke, correct?

I own this version in goatskin and was reading from it over a cup of coffee this morning.

I love everything about this study Bible. Just a wonderful resource.

Zack, That was a very good deal on that bible, was it in genuine leather?
And that is version by Dr Beeke, correct?

Yes in both accounts. The leather grade is between the base "genuine" and the higher grades. I wanted it to be nice but I'm hard on books. When this price came around in this style I was compelled and strangely warmed to buy it!

This may be a stupid question, but none of the sample pages were from the Gospels . . . no red letter text, right?

This may be a stupid question, but none of the sample pages were from the Gospels . . . no red letter text, right?

Dunno for sure, I hope not. It wouldn't have been a deal breaker anyway so I didn't bother finding out. I'd sure like an AV without them.

That's right. It does not have red letter text. (The horror!)

It does not have cross references either, which some may want in a Study Bible. Given the stated purpose of this one is toward family and private worship, I don't think the omission is a big deal and it keeps the size down and the print larger. I was surprised to see that it has as many notes as it does.

I'm tempted to get this because they are having them printed by Jongbloed now. Mine is from the first print run and is made in the USA. (When I got mine, the website was months from being finished.) The quality of mine is not bad, but I've heard the quality of the newer ones is a bit better. I think the paper is supposed to be better. There are a handful of errors in the notes that have also been corrected. Jongbloed is the printer that makes most of not all of R.L. Allan's Bibles as well as some if not all of Schuyler's. I'd think the durability would be a bit better although I haven't had any problems yet.

I don't think I've ever heard of "Dollaro Leather" before. My guess is that it is closer to Calfskin than it is to the usual "Genuine Leather." Mine is Genuine Leather and I'd expect this to be better than mine. It looks like the "Dollaro" basically replaced the Genuine Leather and the Vachetta replaced the Montana Calfskin.

Chris, do you know if there are the same notes as in the "standard" HRB than?

I looked through it in the store, looks really nice, reminded me of the Westminister reference bible with study notes!

I'm tempted to get this because they are having them printed by Jongbloed now. Mine is from the first print run and is made in the USA. (When I got mine, the website was months from being finished.) The quality of mine is not bad, but I've heard the quality of the newer ones is a bit better. I think the paper is supposed to be better. There are a handful of errors in the notes that have also been corrected. Jongbloed is the printer that makes most of not all of R.L. Allan's Bibles as well as some if not all of Schuyler's. I'd think the durability would be a bit better although I haven't had any problems yet.

I don't think I've ever heard of "Dollaro Leather" before. My guess is that it is closer to Calfskin than it is to the usual "Genuine Leather." Mine is Genuine Leather and I'd expect this to be better than mine. It looks like the "Dollaro" basically replaced the Genuine Leather and the Vachetta replaced the Montana Calfskin.

When I get it I'll snap some pics and post them here.

I looked through it in the store, looks really nice, reminded me of the Westminister reference bible with study notes!

This post makes reference to the two changes. http://www.joelbeeke.org/2015/04/update-on-the-reformation-heritage-KJV-study-bible/

This post makes reference to the two changes. http://www.joelbeeke.org/2015/04/update-on-the-reformation-heritage-KJV-study-bible/

Yes. Thanks for reminding folks. If you are looking for a deal on Ebay or elsewhere, I'd make sure it is of the second edition. I almost bought the first edition when it came out but when it was mentioned (HT Rev. Winzer), almost as an aside, that certain errors would be corrected. I held off arguably for too long. As I understand they've used an entirely different press on this latest run.

I'm tempted to get this because they are having them printed by Jongbloed now. Mine is from the first print run and is made in the USA. (When I got mine, the website was months from being finished.) The quality of mine is not bad, but I've heard the quality of the newer ones is a bit better. I think the paper is supposed to be better.

I had a hardcover copy of the first print run and the paper quality was really lacking in my opinion. The bleed through was a major distraction to me and I eventually stopped using it. However, the goatskin copy I picked up is from the Jongbloed printed 2nd edition and the quality is on par with an R.L. Allan, Cambridge, Schuyler. The only thing I was rather disappointed by were the ribbons. The goatskin binding and the paper quality are first-class, but the ribbons are of the thin/skinny variety instead of the nicer thick ribbons you find in one of the big three above. All in all it's a great Bible! It'll last me a lifetime. Highly recommend picking up one of the Jongbloed ones.

Mine arrived today. I was pleased when Zack shared this deal and purchased one. I'm very glad I did. I pretty much plan on replacing my previous Bible with this new one. From what I've seen so far, this would be a Bible I'd heartily recommend if you're wondering about getting one - and the sale price was great!

Mine arrived today. I was pleased when Zack shared this deal and purchased one. I'm very glad I did. I pretty much plan on replacing my previous Bible with this new one. From what I've seen so far, this would be a Bible I'd heartily recommend if you're wondering about getting one - and the sale price was great!

Hey buddy! Mine still isn't here. You must have sprung for the faster shipping. I'm glad to hear you're not disappointed.

I've never owned a Schuyler or an Allan or anything expensive, so I may be easy to please, but I like the leather. The grain is very pronounced. I probably prefer something a little less obvious visually, but once I hold it in my hand, all that goes away. The leather is firm without being stiff, and I find that the extra graininess provides great grip and it really feels secure in my hand.

I think the paper is better than the average bible. I'm a little color blind, but the paper seems white and clean to me without being the sort of photocopier white you can get. I seems a little thicker to me than the normal pages I see in study bibles. I have nerve damage in my right hand and have always been tough on pages as I tend to not have the tactile feedback required for a light touch, so this paper seems a whole lot better in my hand. It's a bit 'slick' if I can describe it that way, but the extra firmness lets me overcome that pretty quickly. The printing is pretty good, given it's not a multi-volume vellum printing, but it is clear enough and not very 'muddy' at all with the text from the next page. The binding seems great and it opens nicely flat on my desk and in my hand from the very first page. I wish the book block itself was as rounded as the leather spine is, since it has that 'gap' between the spine and the book, but I know that adds to cost and the fact that the spine is nicely rounded at all is a plus to me.

I've had a few bibles over the years and have been moving progressively back to the KJV. I find the language fits my aging brain. There's a little more lyrical cadence to the language that helps me remember it better than, say, the more modern reading that ESV offers, and I find having to slow down a little to comprehend it is very helpful to me to not read it like all other media. It's not laborious at all, it's just a tiny lag.

All in all, I plan on using it as my working Bible for the foreseeable future.

Yes. Thanks for reminding folks. If you are looking for a deal on Ebay or elsewhere, I'd make sure it is of the second edition. I almost bought the first edition when it came out but when it was mentioned (HT Rev. Winzer), almost as an aside, that certain errors would be corrected. I held off arguably for too long. As I understand they've used an entirely different press on this latest run.

When I saw mention of the printing errors, which I hadn't noticed, I thought half seriously of asking for a refund! The new ones are being printed by Jongbloed, although I don't know that it has anything to do with the errors.

I had a hardcover copy of the first print run and the paper quality was really lacking in my opinion. The bleed through was a major distraction to me and I eventually stopped using it. However, the goatskin copy I picked up is from the Jongbloed printed 2nd edition and the quality is on par with an R.L. Allan, Cambridge, Schuyler. The only thing I was rather disappointed by were the ribbons. The goatskin binding and the paper quality are first-class, but the ribbons are of the thin/skinny variety instead of the nicer thick ribbons you find in one of the big three above. All in all it's a great Bible! It'll last me a lifetime. Highly recommend picking up one of the Jongbloed ones.

Other than the errors, (which have been corrected in the electronic editions that I already have access to) the paper is the main reason why I'd consider this edition. I wouldn't say that the paper in the first edition has worse ghosting than the norm these days (I've seen a Schuyler edition with worse) but it certainly leaves something to be desired. I think part of the problem is that some of the print in the study notes is bolder than the text itself. And I'd prefer the print to be somewhat bigger without the Bible itself being much bigger. Readability is the main reason why I haven't used this Bible nearly as much as I had anticipated.

Alright. I received my bible a couple of days ago and have a few pics to share. First off, no regrets! No buyers remorse! After I've had more time to use it and I get a small tripod, I'll do a video review and post it here. Until then.... IMG_0212.JPG IMG_0214.JPG IMG_0215.JPG IMG_0216.JPG IMG_0218.JPG

I bought the electronic version a year or so ago and enjoy it. I ordered this one last night because it was a great sounding deal. I look forward to receiving it. I'm on edge of those strange people who would rather have a solid Bible at church as opposed to an iPad.

I bought the electronic version a year or so ago and enjoy it. I ordered this one last night because it was a great sounding deal. I look forward to receiving it. I'm on edge of those strange people who would rather have a solid Bible at church as opposed to an iPad.

I don't think you'll regret it.

I've gone back and forth on physical vs electronic over the past year or so. I think I've made peace with prefering a book. eBooks are marvellous and I love reading for fun on my tablet - but to do any real reading, the real world object just works better for me.

I ended up purchasing the Hardcover version of the book. I really like the study notes and the 'Thoughts for Personal/Family Worship" section. I actually noticed that Reformation Heritage Books released the Personal / Family Worship as a separate book.

Check it out:

http://www.heritagebooks.org/products/family-worship-bible-guide-hardcover.html

Right. I've seen ads for that. If the guide is essentially the same as the notes in the RHSB then I'm not interested.

I just purchased the calfski edition of the Westminster Reference Bible about a month ago. The funny thing is I own a couple goatskin NKJV bibles and yet the Westminster Reference Bible is my favorite; and it was less than half the price of the goatskin bibles. Had I known how wonderful the Westminster KJV was I would have saved all my bucks and would have been satisfied with the Westminster. Thought I'd add this bit of information since the Westminster is still the best KJV Bible available. ;)

I wished there were more specifics about the reformational content on the site. Are there any TBS insiders here that can help?

In the next year or so I'll probably be looking into their Windsor edition. My cheap text only Nelson is getting raggedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back