I-Pad 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolaSaint

Puritan Board Sophomore
I'm considering purchasing an I-Pad, any words of caution or encouragement? Should I wait until the price drops or will it. Since many look-a-likes are coming out, do any of them equal the I-Pad? Thanks for responses.

Depends what you want from it... My FIL bought my MIL an Acer Iconia Tab after we'd researched it a little. They all have different advantages. Personally I'm the type to put off these kinds of purchases as long as possible, and my feeling is that the "look-a-likes" will get better every month. But maybe an iPad now is what you need :) Be good if you can try out some different ones.

I want a product that will play videos, music and surf the web. I hear the I-Pad has the best Aps in the business. My daughter bought an I-Touch a few years ago and I loved it except for the tiny screen. I said then "why doesn't Apple make a pad", and now thaey have. I because I don't need don't 3G because I don't want the high monthly charges. I am worried because I have a two year old in the house. I think I'll wait until Christmas to see if there are any deals then. I'll settle for my laptop until then.

Apple still has the best selection of apps around, but Android's market is growing and is certainly sufficient, generally. I guess you will want to compare the sound and picture quality of different models. Some tablets have larger screens than the iPad, which could be a plus unless you want the smallest/most carryable one. Course, the iPad can't do Flash which may impede your web surfing, depending on what exactly you're doing. That's not a major issue though unless the one thing you need to do involves it.

If you don't need it to take pictures or to do web chat then an Ipad is just fine. I thoroughly enjoy mine.

Well if you wait to get your I-pad 2, than you will be kicking yourself when a few months later the I-pad 3 is out. This is what happened to me. I bought the I-pad 1st gen and three days later the 2nd gen came out for the same price. I was madddddddddddd.

But the first generation does everything that I need it to do. (being able to carry my library around)

Jason,

When you say library, what do you use a Kindle app? I do want to be able to use it as a reader.

Here is my Kindle library. This is not everything I have. I have hundreds of books in print format, it's just nice to have this at your disposal in the pulpit. And it will grow!!!

St. Chrysostom: Homilies on the Gospel of Saint Matthew Chrysostom, St
Fox's Book of MartyrsOr A History of the Lives, Sufferings, and TriumphantDeaths of the Primitive Protestant Martyrs Foxe, John
The Works of John Knox, Vol. 1 (of 6) Knox, John
John Knox and the Reformation Lang, Andrew
The Pharisee and Publican Bunyan, John
An Open Letter on Translating Luther, Martin
Commentary on Genesis, Vol. II Luther on Sin and the Flood Luther, Martin
A Treatise on Good Works Luther, Martin
Sovereign Grace Its Source, Its Nature and Its Effects Moody, Dwight Lyman
Commentary on the Epistle to the Galatians Luther, Martin
Works of Martin Luther With Introductions and Notes (Volume I) Luther, Martin
Reformed Classics: The Doctrine of Justification Pink, Arthur W.
The Bible in Rhyme: Psalms Kyle Holt
The Christian Use of the Psalter Whitham, Arthur Richard
Systematic Theology Volume II - Enhanced Version Charles Hodge
Systematic Theology - Enhanced Version Finney, Charles Grandison
Interlinear Greek Old Testament Septuagint
What Is the Gospel? Gilbert, Greg
History of the Christian Church, Volume VII. Modern Christianity. The German Reformation. Philip Schaff
Reprobation Asserted John Bunyan
The Attributes of God Pink, Arthur W.
Golden Booklet of the True Christian Life Calvin, John
The Works of Jonathan Edwards, volume 2 of 2 (Samizdat Edition with Active Table of Contents), improved 2/6/2011 Edwards, Jonathan
A Treatise on Relics Calvin, John
The Secret Providence of God Calvin, John, edited by Helm, Paul
Commentary on Isaiah - Volume 4 - Enhanced Version (Calvin's Commentaries) John Calvin
Commentary on Isaiah - Volume 2 - Enhanced Version (Calvin's Commentaries) John Calvin
Commentary on Isaiah - Volume 1 - Enhanced Version (Calvin's Commentaries) Calvin, John
Commentary on Isaiah - Volume 3 - Enhanced Version (Calvin's Commentaries) John Calvin
Spectacular Sins: And Their Global Purpose in the Glory of Christ Piper, John
The Geneva Bible including the Marginal Notes of the Reformers. 1587 version. God
Wycliffe New Testament Wyclif, John
The Works of John Owen (Volume 2) Owen, John
The Works of John Owen (Volume 1) Owen, John
The Pilgrim's Progress from this world to that which is to come, delivered under the similitude of a dream, by John Bunyan Bunyan, John
The Legacy of Sovereign Joy: God's Triumphant Grace in the Lives of Augustine, Luther, and Calvin Piper, John
Desiring God, Revised Edition: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist Piper, John
The Middle Ages. A.D. 1294-1517 - Enhanced Version (History of the Christian Church) Philip Schaff
The Middle Ages. A.D. 1049-1294 - Enhanced Version (History of the Christian Church) Philip Schaff
History of the Christian Church, Volume III: Nicene and Post-Nicene Christianity. A.D. 311-600. Philip Schaff
History of the Christian Church, Volume II: Ante-Nicene Christianity. A.D. 100-325. Philip Schaff
Apostolic Christianity. A.D. 1-100 (History of the Christian Church) Schaff, Philip
Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine Grudem, Wayne
History of the Christian Church, Volume VIII: Modern Christianity. The Swiss Reformation. Philip Schaff
Luther's Works, Vol. 25: Lectures on Romans Luther, Martin
Tyndale New Testament Tyndale, William
Knowing Scripture Sproul, R. C.
Saved from What? Sproul, R. C.
The Book of Enoch Anonymous
A New English Translation of the Septuagint Pietersma, Albert, Benjamin G. Wright
Concerning Christian Liberty Luther, Martin
Works of Augustine of Hippo: On Christian Doctrine, The Confessions of Saint Augustine & The City of God (mobi) Augustine of Hippo
Abstract of Systematic Theology Boyce, James
A Display of Arminianism John Owen
The Augsburg Confession The confession of faith, which was submitted to His Imperial Majesty Charles V at the diet of Augsburg in the year 1530 Melanchthon, Philipp
John Hus A brief story of the life of a martyr Dallmann, William
The Forbidden Books of the New Testament (Unexpurgated Edition) (Halcyon Classics) Various
Saint Bartholomew's Eve A Tale of the Huguenot WarS Henty, G. A. (George Alfred)
Exiled for the Faith A Tale of the Huguenot Persecution Kingston, William Henry Giles
The Huguenots in France Smiles, Samuel
Enchiridion On Faith, Hope, and Love St Augustine
Summa Theologica - St. Thomas Aquinas St. Thomas Aquinas
Willing to Believe: The Controversy over Free Will Sproul, R. C.
Christian Classics: five books by Charles Spurgeon in a single file, with active table of contents, improved 9/21/2010 Spurgeon, Charles
Mediaeval Christianity. A.D. 590-1073 - Enhanced Version (History of the Christian Church) Schaff, Philip
The Early Church Fathers - Nicene & Post Nicene Fathers Volume 5: St. Augustin: Anti-Pelagian Writings (The Early Church Fathers- Post Nicene) Philip Schaff
John Calvin- Commentary on Romans Calvin, John
Commentary on Galatians and Ephesians Calvin, John
Interlinear Greek New Testament Bible Scrivener, Frederick Henry Ambrose
History of the great Reformation of the sixteenth century in Germany, Swit Jean Henri Merle d'Aubign??
Myths and Legends of Our Own Land - Volume 04 : Tales of Puritan Land Skinner, Charles Montgomery
History of Rationalism Embracing a Survey of the Present State of Protestant Theology Hurst, J. F. (John Fletcher)
The Great Doctrines of the Bible Evans, William
The Calvinistic Doctrine of Predestination Examined and Refuted Hodgson, F. (Francis)
The Doctrines of Predestination, Reprobation, and Election Wallace, Robert
On Grace and Free Will St. Augustine
Defending Your Faith: An Introduction Sproul, R.C.
Acts: St. Andrew's Expositional Commentary (St. Andrew's Expository Commentary) Sproul, R. C.
Reformed Doctrine of Predestination Boettner, Loraine
Summary of Christian Doctrine Berkhof, Louis
The Sovereignty of God Pink, Arthur W.
Justified by Faith Alone Sproul, R.C.
Institutes of the Christian Religion Calvin, John
The Works of Jonathan Edwards, volume 1 of 2 (Samizdat Edition with Active Table of Contents), improved 2/5/2011 Edwards, Jonathan
Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners Bunyan, John
The Total Depravity of Man Pink, A.W.
The Bondage of The Will Luther, Martin
ESV Study Bible Crossway Bibles

I would forgo the iPad 2 and purchase the original iPad. Apple saw that many people would be willing to upgrade to a newer edition just because it's got a sign saying "NEW" next to it, so they rushed the next version out.

There are so few benefits to the new version in comparison to the original that it isn't worth getting for now.

SolaSaint said:
Should I wait until the price drops or will it.

Apple keeps a tight control on the price. About the only variation is to line up with the store's policy on whether the price ends in .00 or .99. There will be a large drop in price when it becomes the remaining stock of the discontinued version. So the price of the iPad-2 will drop with the introduction of the iPad-3.

One nice thing about the Apple Store is that if you buy one of the computers (including the small iSomthing) within a couple of weeks of the introduction of the updated version, they will give you a store credit (gift card) for the difference between the new price and the remaining stock price.

Nice, they had one listed for $524 that was a 64GB. Better than 699 for an I-Pad 2, as long as they perform the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back