I need your opinion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

scget5

Puritan Board Freshman
I am a reformed high school student and my parents go to a dispensational Arminian church. The church is slowly liberalizing and the gospel is no longer peached. I go to a Presbyterian Church in the evening but my family wants me at their church in the morning so we can worship as a family. Which, I mean, I get.
So besides prayer and listening to my parent's wishes what else am I suppose to do?

Honor your father and your mother and be thankful that you can worship at a solid Presbyterian church in the evening. High school will be over sooner than it may seem at the moment.

Let them see by your character and actions what they are missing in their lives.

What Edward said. And try to have a good attitude about it. Be thankful for what God has provided rather than bitter over what he has, for a time, decided to withhold. A spirit of gratitude is a godly adornment on any believer, and gratitude for one's parents looks especially beautiful in a teenager.

Last edited:
Ditto to the advice above.

This is but a short time. And to have a healthy church to go to in the evening is more than most of the world's population possesses. And a family to worship with together in the morning. Rejoice in your blessings.

I agree with the above. And, if you think they'd be willing, invite them to go with you to that evening service. If they refuse, take it graciously.

I would agree with what has been said above.

However, the response might depend just what's going on at this liberal Arminian church. (Is there "liturgical dance", for example?)

I am a reformed high school student and my parents go to a dispensational Arminian church. The church is slowly liberalizing and the gospel is no longer peached. I go to a Presbyterian Church in the evening but my family wants me at their church in the morning so we can worship as a family. Which, I mean, I get.
So besides prayer and listening to my parent's wishes what else am I suppose to do?

Submit to your parents and be a good witness. Aside from that, I would surround myself with solid bible teachers.

This is a tough situation, but I would strongly advise you not to sow division in that church. We want to combat heretical teaching but we don't want to cause division over minor doctrinal differences.

They do not preach the Gospel, or is it they preach a non Calvinidt version?

There is only one Gospel my friend, it doesn't come in versions.

Do to your comments, I'm beginning to suspect that you posses an inadequate understanding of Reformed Theology.

Last edited:
I agree with Ed and Jack. God commands children to obey their parents which means it doesn’t matter if their church service consists of people dancing in the aisles or if the pastor is preaching a different Gospel you must go with them. Once you move out of their home, then revisit this subject here. I believe your submissive heart will be a witness of the Gospel and be ready to answer their questions on reasons you prefer the church you go to.

As far as what else you can do besides prayer and obedience, maybe do Bible studies with your parents if they are open to it. You could listen to reformed preachers on YouTube at Ligonier with them if they are willing. Maybe have prayer time with them. Remind them each day how grateful you are to have them as parents and express your love to them verbally and in deed. Just a few ideas.

No, the gospel is no longer preached. Jesus is a life coach that helps you get better self-esteem. The reason why I mentioned that it was a Ariminan church is because when
Arminianism is liberalized it typically leads to Pelagianism which is what I mean when I say it is liberalizing.

How old are you?

Jonathan deliberately disobeyed his father Saul, choosing David, ie choosing to follow God's ways, instead of going along with his father who had drifted from truth.

There are people like you-young people without financial resources- in Muslim nations, who have been kicked out of their families for conversion.

If the people at the Presbyterian church would take you in and help you get through high school, and your parents would not call the cops and start a huge mess where the state child welfare steps in, frankly I would take the risk of telling your folks you will no longer be attending a liberal church preaching a false gospel. How exactly is this "worshipping together"?

If they kick you out, then trust God and ask the Presbyterians for help. Better to ask the Presbyterians ahead of time though, they might want you to stick it out and not offer help. Any local relatives who are devout Christians?

I got kicked out along with my sister by my anti Christ gospel hating father who was infuriated with us going to church and reading bibles and refusing to date unsaved guys that were "good catches" . It was easier for me as I was past college. I don't know your situation.

Just something to consider.

No, the gospel is no longer preached. Jesus is a life coach that helps you get better self-esteem. The reason why I mentioned that it was a Ariminan church is because when
Arminianism is liberalized it typically leads to Pelagianism which is what I mean when I say it is liberalizing.
So they are moving towards a Joel Olsten feel good message?

There is only one Gospel my friend, it doesn't come in versions.

Do to your comments, I'm beginning to suspect that you posses an inadequate understanding of Reformed Theology.
I was just suggesting that being non Calvinidt that church might be expressing the Gospel in a way that out brother is not used to, but sounds like they are deciding to no longer teach proper salvation period!

I was just suggesting that being non Calvinidt that church might be expressing the Gospel in a way that out brother is not used to, but sounds like they are deciding to no longer teach proper salvation period!
I'm sorry, I'm just a little puzzled by some of your post

I think age matters. An adult is not a child. I also think attitude matters. We are called to live peaceably. If we live in our Parent's home matters. We are called to honor our parents but not all submission to parents is honorable. That is even truer when we are adults.

I am not trying to pry into your age or information but the things I mention above are relevant to how this question is answered.

Fill out signature: https://www.puritanboard.com/help/signature/

Live peacably with your parents, submit to them, keep going to worship in the evenings. You have a cell phone? Get on there and listen to reformed sermons. Don't just listen to the big-name guys, listen to people who aren't "famous". If you need suggestions, feel free to PM me.

To be honest, it is difficult for us to comment as we do not know the full facts of the situation. I have observed that when people post here about how bad their current church is that they are often exaggerating and they are often just looking for us to become cheerleaders for their discontentment. That observation is not an evil suspicion because I have often found that when I have probed them a bit further on the matter, all too often the people making the complaints have not taken biblical steps to resolve the problems about which they are complaining.

@scget5,

What do your parents think of you attending a Presbyterian church on Sunday evenings? Have they asked you to stop?

Have you spoken to the elders of the Presbyterian church? They're likely to be able to give better practical advice than a bunch of strangers on the internet. I would assume they know your situation more intimately.

I myself would, first of all, advise you to stay under your parents' roof. If your parents are OK with you attending the Presbyterian church, then that's a blessing. I would push back against any suggestion to leave home and set up with another family, as, based on what you've posted, the situation does not merit that kind of reaction. Taking such measures is bound to drive a wedge between yourself and your parents that could last a lifetime. Gentle speech and a gracious manner, meanwhile, can set an attractive example

My dad kicked me out when I was 21 (not principally over religious issues). While I was by then independent, I have had a bad relationship with my parents and my siblings since then. I would earnestly say that if you have a generally good relationship with your parents, praise the Lord! Don't throw that away. It's a lot to lose.

Be careful not to do anything to antagonize your parents over this. Be careful in your words, how you speak of their church. Be careful in your actions, because you are your parents' window into Reformed religion.

As far as possible, live at peace with everyone (Rom. 12:18).

And get on your knees and pray.

Last edited:
Some have stated that Arminians teach another and a false Gospel, while I see them as teaching the Gospel but misunderstanding it.
Arminianism is a false gospel. There's no way around it. By God's grace, though, many Arminians are inconsistent (and they wouldn't even know what "Arminianism" is).

Arminianism is a false gospel. There's no way around it. By God's grace, though, many Arminians are inconsistent (and they wouldn't even know what "Arminianism" is).
Hold on a second. There is the Gospel, and then there is Reformed Theology and Decision Theology, do not conflate the two. Yes, there are some heretical doctrines in Arminianism but the Gospel isn’t one of them. I’m tired of people ( on both sides) who want to expand the Gospel into every facet of doctrine. The Gospel is that Jesus came, died and rose again and the 3rd day for the remission of sins, and that whoever believes, has eternal life. Yes, we believe in God’s sovereignty however, just cause some hold to the mistaken belief that they have a choice, doesn’t always equal a false Gospel.

Hold on a second. There is the Gospel, and then there is Reformed Theology and Decision Theology, do not conflate the two. Yes, there are some heretical doctrines in Arminianism but the Gospel isn’t one of them. I’m tired of people ( on both sides) who want to expand the Gospel into every facet of doctrine. The Gospel is that Jesus came, died and rose again and the 3rd day for the remission of sins, and that whoever believes, has eternal life. Yes, we believe in God’s sovereignty however, just cause some hold to the mistaken belief that they have a choice, doesn’t always equal a false Gospel.
I don't wish to take this thread so far away from the OP. It might be better to start a new thread.

I don't wish to take this thread so far away from the OP. It might be better to start a new thread.
Tom, Let me ask you one question. Does the mistaken belief that you have a choice, alter or change the fundamental truths of the Gospel? I don’t think it does and since it doesn’t, how can that Gospel be false?

Tom, Let me ask you one question. Does the mistaken belief that you have a choice, alter or change the fundamental truths of the Gospel? I don’t think it does and since it doesn’t, how can that Gospel be false?
It depends on what you mean by Arminianism. Really, it's a whole theological system. Today, though, the term is popularly applied to synergistic salvation.

It depends on what you mean by Arminianism. Really, it's a whole theological system. Today, though, the term is popularly applied to synergistic salvation.
I agree with you Tom, Arminianism is a heretical system with many problems. In certain circumstances, their heresy can fundementaly alter their understanding of the Gospel. I'm just not comfortable with the blanket application.

I agree with you Tom, Arminianism is a heretical system with many problems. In certain circumstances, their heresy can fundementaly alter their understanding of the Gospel. I'm just not comfortable with the blanket application.
If a man thinks he has a choice, he is mistaken. If he puts no confidence in that choice but places his hope and trust in Christ then he is a saved man.

If a man thinks he has a choice, he is mistaken. If he puts no confidence in that choice but places his hope and trust in Christ then he is a saved man.
Just cause a man errs in thinking he had a choice, doesn't alter the truth of the Gospel. My error does not overide God's sovereignty or bring them from a state of Grace into a state if condemnation.
At best, it means they have a less then full understanding of the Gospel. That doesn't always translate to false Gospel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back