I forgot to post this again this year. Santa is Dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuritanCovenanter

The Joyful Curmudgeon
Staff member
I saw that Pastor Nathan Eshelman had this pic as his profile pic on Facebook and it reminded me that I forgot to post this again this year.
Just for you alls entertainment and encouragement. This is something I usually post around this time of year. Here it is again......

449483_21b0b56836.jpg

I love this pic....

And to put it into some context I will also share an old story of mine again. I posted it a few years ago on the board. I also think it is humorous and goes along with the picture.

Before I was married I purposed in my heart to never lie to kids about St. Nicholaus. My reasoning was if I told them a lie about Santa who is to say that I am not lying about Jesus. So when I started having children I told them the truth. St. Nick was dead but that he lived in heaven with Jesus. I told them about the fables and myths and said it was wrong to make Santa Claus have characteristics that only God has.

Well, one Christmas we were in a department store and the cashier asked my two boys (probably around 6years old) if they were good and if Santa was going to come to their house. To which my oldest looked at her and said, "No, Santa is dead." You should have seen the look of horror on that ladies face. It was great. I then explained to her that we believe that the real St. Nick is alive in heaven with Jesus because Jesus died for the Bishop's sin, and that we wanted our son's to know that their parents always told them the truth. They could trust us when we said Jesus was real.

It is a great witness.

I also never want to tell my kids about Santa Clause, it's just lieing and I don't want to lie to them.

When my parents asked me if any of the kids in my church got anything from Santa, I told them that they didn't believe in Santa because he was a cheap replacement of the living and breathing Christ reigning in heaven.

You would've thought I just told them I killed someone based on how they reacted. Unlike the person who wrote the material in the quote above, there was no room for witness. They were so angry and offended at what I said that they would have none of the truths of the living Christ. To them, Christmas can't be without Santa, and to remove Santa (especially from the kids) is to completely ruin the point.

I was fortunate. My family didn't give me any flack. It has born good fruit also. My kids are young men now. And they trust what their Dad says.

I can remember (when I was very small indeed) knowing that Santa was not responsible for the appearance of the presents on Christmas morning, but believing that in some equally miraculous way, God was.
I've no idea where I got that from, ..but I've wondered whether it could have come from an early and only partially successful attempt of my parents to separate truth from fable in my infant mind

I also don't plan on telling my kids about Santa Claus when (Lord willing) I have them. I don't want my kids to ever think that presents and Santa are why we celebrate Christmas. From a young age I hope they realize that Christmas is all about Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back