Hymns of Grace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Puritan Board Senior
Does anyone know of a review of Hymns of Grace? It is a new hymnal published by Master Seminary Press (associated with John MacArthur and Grace Community Church). It would be great to find one from a Reformed perspective.

Trinity Hymnal would not be considered?
I think he means a review from a Reformed perspective. Probably safe to say HoG does not include any songs that support the theology of infant baptism (as such) or intentionally covenant-theology; whereas dispensationalism probably informs the editing.

I think he means a review from a Reformed perspective. Probably safe to say HoG does not include any songs that support the theology of infant baptism (as such) or intentionally covenant-theology; whereas dispensationalism probably informs the editing.
Yes, I am looking for a review of the Hymns of Grace from a Reformed perspective.

Not necessarily Reformed reviews, but here are three reviews from a variety of perspectives:

All note the number of newer hymns, especially of the Getty/Townend variety. Hymnbooks are always going to include some songs you never sing and omit some that you love, and different hymns are going to fall into either category for different people. Having always been a church planter without a building, we've tended not to have hymnbooks, preferring to print lyrics in the bulletin which gives you complete control over the repertoire (and the ability to edit questionable lyrics according to preference). For example, the Trinity hymnal inexplicably chooses the 1545 William Kethe version of Psalm 100, not the corrected version from the 1650 Scottish Psalter. But I understand the attraction of a hymnbook that people can have a copy of at home for family devotions, and the fact that it helps people who wish to sing parts.

I think it was published in 2015, so I don't know if that qualifies as "new," although it is certainly newer than something like the revised Trinity Hymnal, which is from 1990, I think. Other than the Baptist Hymnal of 2008, this was the only one I knew of at the time that included Getty and similar newer hymns, and "Hymns of Grace" includes a whole lot more of them, I think. Unless I have it confused with a different hymnal, one disappointment is that it does not include the titles of the tunes (although the newer hymns wouldn't have one) and maybe is not as well indexed as traditional hymnals.

I would think that the lack of Psalms would be one of the main Reformed objections.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back