Husband, father, and Moody student on the journey to becoming a Presbyterian

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.L. Allen

Puritan Board Freshman
Howdy,

I'm a current Moody student on the older end of the student body. My desire is to go to seminary to eventually be able to minister the Word and sacraments. I'm in a strange place as I find my convictions becoming more and more reformed. The story has more to be told, and I'm excited to share it and be a part of this community.

J.L. Allen

Puritan Board Freshman
@Reepicheep may share his story with you. He was a Moody student and is now a PCA pastor (and a good friend!).
That would be fantastic! I have to say, it has been disorienting at times. There is a lot to navigate. Being at Moody, you can sometimes receive "hostility" for holding to covenant theology.

Grafted In

Puritan Board Freshman
Howdy,

I'm a current Moody student on the older end of the student body. My desire is to go to seminary to eventually be able to minister the Word and sacraments. I'm in a strange place as I find my convictions becoming more and more reformed. The story has more to be told, and I'm excited to share it and be a part of this community.
I, too, am a Moody grad and a Presbyterian!

Welcome to the fellowship!

Stephen L Smith

Staff member
Being at Moody, you can sometimes receive "hostility" for holding to covenant theology.
Did you say some get 'Moody' if you hold to covenant theology. :)

Welcome to the board. My parents pastor trained at Moody (Arminian, Dispensational Church). I understand Moody is also into Spiritual Formation?

J.L. Allen

Puritan Board Freshman
I understand Moody is also into Spiritual Formation?
That is a term that has been tossed around a lot and even marks the curriculum of many classes, but I'll be honest, I'm not sure what it means exactly. Can you define the term as you understand it?

Jeff Scott, one of the finest men you'll encounter, also went in this area to seminary: Mid-America Reformed Seminary (www.midamerica.edu). Check us out. We'd love to have you drop by for a visit.
I'd very much like to get to know Jeff and many others.

It's funny that you'd mention Mid-America. Y'all are my first choice for seminary (though I am still evaluating other options, but they seem to be far, far down the list). I've spoken with Rev. Jeff De Boer. My wife and I have been by one time before on a visit and met him and Rev. Andrew Compton. I'm in a season of work and of waiting for reevaluation and approval from my church to apply. I'm hoping to leave Moody earlier given my age and desire to better provide for my family by expediting my educational years.

Grafted In

Puritan Board Freshman
Oh that's great! I also see that you live in Oregon. I lived in Portland for nearly a decade. I really do miss the PNW. When were you at Moody?
I went to Moody in 1999 as a newish believer, who had never even heard about the Reformation. I met my wife there (she is a 2000 Moody grad). We started a family while I left school and took up a trade, seeking to discern if I was being called to the ministry. I returned to Moody in 2007 after coming to Reformed convictions and seeking membership, along with my family, in a PCA church in the Chicagoland area. I graduated in 2010 and set off to Mid-America Reformed Seminary (see Dr. Strange's post above), where I received, what I believe, was the best education a man can find for preparation to serve as a minster of the Word in a Reformed and Presbyterian church.

I, too, majored in biblical languages (Greek) at Moody. I didn't mind wading through the Dispensational theology and revivalistic/pietistic influences at Moody. It forced me to better know what I believed and why I believed it. The language education (Dr. Trevor Burke, who has since moved on) I received was excellent as well as the historical theology courses I took (Dr. Quiggle).

While I would never recommend Moody to a Reformed believer, it did allow this 30-something (at the time) father of 4 (at the time) go back to school and prepare for seminary very, very affordably!

Warmly in Christ,

Grafted In

Puritan Board Freshman
I'm happy to know that someone named Quiggle exists in America.
A fine name for a fine man. He was a member of a Lutheran church, if I remember correctly, and had a strong appreciation for Reformed doctrine :)

My philosophy and apologetics professor at Moody was a member of a PCA church, though his surname wasn't as auditorially pleasing as Quiggle.

SolaScriptura

Puritanboard Snowflake
Glad to hear it! What was your background while you were there? Did you come to Presbyterian convictions before, during, or after?
I came to MBI with an Evangelical Free background. While at MBI I learned two important things: I became convinced of the doctrines of grace and I became convinced that I was not a dispensationalist.
It was during seminary at SBTS that I became Reformed and joined a PCA church and came under care of my local Presbytery...

Stephen L Smith

Staff member
That is a term that has been tossed around a lot and even marks the curriculum of many classes, but I'll be honest, I'm not sure what it means exactly. Can you define the term as you understand it?
It is a difficult one as I understand there are many definitions - the term itself is 'fluid'. I found this article by Grace to You helpful https://www.gty.org/library/blog/B120910/what-is-spiritual-formation-and-why-does-it-matter

Also a helpful discussion by John Macarthur

J.L. Allen

Puritan Board Freshman
I came to MBI with an Evangelical Free background. While at MBI I learned two important things: I became convinced of the doctrines of grace and I became convinced that I was not a dispensationalist.
It was during seminary at SBTS that I became Reformed and joined a PCA church and came under care of my local Presbytery...
Man! Stories like this are really encouraging. I feel like I’m starting far behind, but it seems that it is quite normal as we go on this trek.

J.L. Allen

Puritan Board Freshman
It is a difficult one as I understand there are many definitions - the term itself is 'fluid'. I found this article by Grace to You helpful https://www.gty.org/library/blog/B120910/what-is-spiritual-formation-and-why-does-it-matter

Also a helpful discussion by John Macarthur
I just read the article. Goodness.

On the one hand, there is, and I see no problem with this, a Biblical approach to the various ways that the Holy Spirit sanctifies His church. This seems obvious and can be an appropriate definition. However, the unorthodox methods that synthesize pagan means with Christian concepts is absurd. There have been troubling trends at Moody, and no doubt this occurs, but I think this sort of thing isn’t in the forefront for now. May it stay that way...

TheOldCourse

Puritan Board Sophomore
I was a Moody student as well and came in, like so many evangelicals, as someone who had more interest in whether the locusts in Revelation were Blackhawk Helicopters than about the doctrines of grace. I only stayed there for two years as I eventually realized that I didn't have an internal call to the ministry, but by the time I left I was at least an evangelical Calvinist and well on my way towards embracing covenant theology. In my experience the professors couldn't even articulate clearly what covenant theology was (other than the church replacing Israel), so that one took a bit longer and significantly more self-study just to understand it. Welcome aboard!

J.L. Allen

Puritan Board Freshman
In my experience the professors couldn't even articulate clearly what covenant theology was (other than the church replacing Israel), so that one took a bit longer and significantly more self-study just to understand it. Welcome aboard!
I find that there is an inappropriate painting of covenant theology as anti Semitic. Dialogue can get ugly and that doesn’t help.

Joshua

Administrator
Staff member
... and he orders a drink.
Well, the right kind of drink could help after walking into a bar, depending on its placement, point of impact, etc. Of course, the over consumption of such could result in more collisions. ;)

TylerRay

Puritan Board Graduate
Well, the right kind of drink could help after walking into a bar, depending on its placement, point of impact, etc. Of course, the over consumption of such could result in more collisions. ;)
If that's the case, he may soon find himself on a collision course with the bar of justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.