Hunters out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenas

Snow Miser
I've never been big into hunting, but not by my own choice. My father has never been a hunter and thus, never took me.

Both my paternal grand father and great-grandfather were avid deer, duck, etc. hunters. I have been passed both their Remington Model 17 and Browning A-5 shotguns which I have yet to use as they need to be cleaned and have plugs put in them.

I have been dove hunting multiple times with my fiancee' and her family, as well as on one deer and duck hunt with her brother. I have loved every minute of it, despite my lifetime take from the wildlife of my state has been approximately 2 dove, 0 deer, and 0 duck. I'm bugging my brother in law to go some more this year, if for nothing else to serve as my "bachelor party". :p

I'm wanting to go more, and to be able to go whenever the opportunity arises. Weapons aren't an issue, but clothing is. I have little to no camo clothing, much less cold gear and waders to go duck and deer hunting when it's nice and frosty outside.

My question to you is this, for one such as me, a mere novice who hunts at the whim of others willing to take him, what kind of clothing should I invest in to make it easier on me to go, without having to locate other people's gear to borrow? (Never works out well because I'm bigger than everyone else.) I'm unsure as to what type of clothing I need, as well as the types of camo I need to get.

Funny

I've never been big into hunting, but not by my own choice. My father has never been a hunter and thus, never took me.

Both my paternal grand father and great-grandfather were avid deer, duck, etc. hunters.

That really describes me. My dad hated the cold weather so thats why he didnt keep the tradition alive. I love cold weather though. Anyways i am itching to hunt (although i have never went before)

Good thread andrew. I will definately be reading!

In my humble opinion, buy one good "hunting jacket" like this one. It serves for you well for everything outside of Turkey Hunting, which in Tennessee all you need is something like this...

...Unless you want to Bow Hunt Deer...

I grew up hunting near you on both sides of the Mighty Muddy. The Hatchee river bottoms where one of my stomping grounds. If you plan on doing some waterfowling you can do very well with a 4 in 1 parka. Lots of companies make them. Herters offers some of the best values. You should also by some good chest waders; NOT hip boots. With these and a good pair of britches and regular hunting boots you are pretty much set for weather in the Mid-South.

I've been deer hunting in Oklahoma (not fun - I watched hoar frost slowly wind its way around the barrel and me in the early morning). But I've also gone hunting in Namibia and had a great time. Took 1 blesbok (gold medal), 1 oryx (silver medal, I believe), and two warthogs. Tons o' fun. I didn't grow up with it, though.

I hunt (and live) in Northern Ontario Canada..... I'm not a believer in fancy hunting clothing..., although I would invest in some good long underwear. I typically use just a heavy camo jacket and a pair of heavy four point- wool pants (the same pants I wear winter camping/icefishing) that I picked up at an army surplus store.

I don't believe you require all the camo gear (with the exception of a good jacket) especially if you learn to sit still/quiet. I muzzleload/archery hunt and have shot most of my deer under 20 yards.

although perhaps it is a different story hunting turkey...

:2cents:

Honestly, if we're talking rifle-hunting for deer, it doesn't matter what you are wearing. You can snipe them from so far away you might as well be wearing a Santa Claus suit, it wouldn't hinder shooting the animal.

Now, if you want to really hunt, you'll need a bow, lots of skill, patience, equipment and appropriate camo.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back