Humbled by the sight of Christ's glory

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Robert Traill (The Lord's Prayer, John 17:24), Works 2:125:

It is impossible, that any ray and beam of Christ’s glory can be rightly taken up by the eye of faith, but the beholder of it is humbled by the sight of it. And the brighter the discovery be, the more humble will it make the man to be. Perfect humility is only in heaven, where the perfect discovery of Christ’s glory is made by him, and got by the inhabitants. What said Isaiah, when he saw his glory, and spoke of him, John 12:41? Woe is me, for I am undone, Isa. 6:5. Why undone? Because I am unclean, and have seen the King, the Lord of hosts. What did the beloved disciple when he had a vision of Christ’s glory? When I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead; and he might have died quite at the sight, unless Christ had laid his right hand upon him, and spoke comfortably to him, Rev. 1:17, 18. What was the fruit of Job’s seeing of the Lord with the seeing of the eye, far beyond all he had heard by the hearing of the ear? Was not this the fruit and effect of it, wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes? Job 42:5, 6. Thus will it be with you, if you obtain any true discoveries of Christ’s glory.

Thank you. This reminds me of how we see God. That we see God via the man Jesus by faith, as revealed by scripture while here on earth, and we shall see the man Jesus in heaven by sight. A truly humbling thought to be able to "see" the perfect humanity of Our Lord Jesus by faith this side of eternity.

Glory manifested by scripture.
Glory manifested by sight.
Glory radiated from Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back