Human Purpose

Status
Not open for further replies.

W.C. Dean

Puritan Board Sophomore
This is a short work I had to write for my college studies this week.
-

What is the point of human life? This question has plagued many people for many years.
Some may claim the point to being alive is to be a good person. Who defines what is good,
though? Some may say the point of human life is to do whatever pleases you. Experience and
common sense testifies that life would be disastrous if we as humans only did whatever pleased
us. When interpreting a work of any kind, authorial intent must be taken into account. We cannot
say something means something if the author did not intend it to mean that. To find human
purpose, we must use this same principle. But first, we must establish who the author of
humanity is. Of course, this author is the Almighty and personal Triune God, who has revealed
himself to his creation through the Holy Bible. What does he say the purpose of human life is? I
believe human purpose is best summarized by the well-known first question of the Westminster
Shorter Catechism. “What is the chief end of man? Answer: Man’s chief end is to glorify God,
and enjoy him forever.” Question two helps us immensely with this question of human purpose
as well. “What rule hath God given to direct us how we may glorify and enjoy him? Answer:
The Word of God, which is contained in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments, is the
only rule to direct us how we may glorify and enjoy him.” The point to human life is to give
glory to God, and to enjoy him. We know how to glorify and enjoy him from the Holy Bible.
This answer is simple, but its application is wide reaching. God’s Word gives us directions on
how to glorify and enjoy him in all we do. In our families, in our education, in our work. Of
course, we often fall short of glorifying God, but he is merciful. Thanks be to God for the
righteous life and death of his Son, Jesus Christ. “Let every thing that hath breath praise the
Lord. Praise ye the Lord.” (Psalm 150:6, Authorised Version).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back