• Priscilla

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Barnabas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not listed

• Do not care

• Holy Spirit (even though you said human author, I have to say who is the primary author)

• Mystery (for Grant Jones, so I better see at least one Cote)

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Jude (for Post Tenebras so one vote expected. Grant, spelled it right this time!)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we need an option for Gandalf? I have been reading LOTR lately and Gandalf’s linguistic ability seems to make him a feesible candidate.

Sorry, gonna veto that one. Tom Bombadil however.... which reminds me, I think I got a notification from a Mr. Jones post about good olde Tom but said post was never seen. Curiouser an curiouser. I am not sure about this Mr. Jones here.

All found below has been laboriously typed from pages 328-329 of Word Pictures in the New Testament V 5. by A.T. Robertson, a Greek scholar and philologist of great note in the 20th century.
The Style
It is called an epistle and so it is,but of a peculiar kind. In fact, as has been said, it begins like a treatise, proceeds like a sermon, and concludes like a letter. It is, in fact, more like a literary composition than any other New Testament book as Deissmann shows : "It points to the fact that the Epistle to the Hebrews, with its more definitely artistic, more literary language (corresponding to its more theological subject matter), constituted an epoch in the history of the new religion. Christianity is beginning to lay hands on the instruments of culture; the literary and theological period has begun." (Light From the Ancient East, pp. 70f.)

But Blass (Die Rhythmen der asianischen und romischen Kunstprosa, 1905) argues that the author of Hebrews certainly and Paul probably were students of Greek oratory and rhetoric. He is clearly wrong about Paul and probably so about the author of Hebrews. There is in Hebrews more of "a studied rhetorical periodicity (Thayer), but with many "parenthetical involutions" (Westcott) and with less of "the impetuous eloquence of Paul."

The eleventh chapter reveals a studied style and as a whole the Epistle belongs to the literary Koine rather that to the vernacular. Moulton (Cambridge Biblical Essays, p. 483) thinks that the author did not know Hebrew but follows the Septuagint throughout in his abundant use of the Old Testament.

The Author

Origen bluntly wrote: "Who wrote the Epistle God only knows certainly" as quoted by Eusebius. Origen held that the thoughts were Paul's while Clement of Rome or Luke may have written the book. Clement of Alexandria (Eusebius says) thought that Paul wrote it in Hebrew and that Luke translated it into Greek. No early writer apparently attributed the Greek text to Paul. Eusebius thought it was originally written in Hebrew whether by Paul or not and translated by Clement of Rome. But there is no certainty anywhere in the early centuries.

It was accepted first in the east and later in the west which first rejected it. But Jerome and Augustine accepted it. When the Renaissance came Erasmus had doubts, Luther attributed it to Apollos, Calvin denied the Pauline authorship. In North Africa it was attributed to Barnabas. In modern times Harnack has suggested Priscilla, but the masculine participle in 11:32 (me diegoumenon) disposes of that theory. The oldest Greek MSS. (Aleph A B) have simply Pros Hebraious as the title, but place it before the Pastoral Epistles and Philemon.

In the light of all the facte one can only make a guess without a sense of certainty. For myself I should with Luther guess Apollos as the most likely author of this book which is full of the Spirit of God.

Also by Roberston, his magnum opus, New Testament Greek In the Light of Historical Research, on pages 132 and 133 he goes into technical observations on the syntax and accidence of Hebrews which is over my head, and would be too much to type. If you have the Greek language skills it would be an interesting read I suppose.

I put not listed b/c the classic view that it was Paul's sermon manuscripted by Luke was not an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back