How / Where should I start with reading Thomas Aquinas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexanderjames

Puritan Board Sophomore
I would like to begin a serious study of Thomas Aquinas (not to mention other medieval scholastics).

I currently have the Summa Theologiae. Should I start with that, or get something else first perhaps?
Or should I hold off with Thomas until I am thoroughly acquainted with early philosophy like Aristotle, and the ECF?

(So much to learn, so little time!)

I would like to begin a serious study of Thomas Aquinas (not to mention other medieval scholastics).

I currently have the Summa Theologiae. Should I start with that, or get something else first perhaps?
Or should I hold off with Thomas until I am thoroughly acquainted with early philosophy like Aristotle?

(So much to learn, so little time!)
Pints with Aquinas has some videos on getting started with Thomas on Youtube.

I would second starting with his Compendium. Also, be sure to check out aquinas.cc, which is always adding to its collection of translations of Thomas's writings.

Thanks all. Copy of the compendium ordered as well as Feser’s guide.

Noted, can’t find a reasonable price for the Maurer edition so will hold off on this for now.

This excursus might make approaching Thomas a bit more manageable. It's from Norman Geisler's website where he gives some good advice on studying philosophy.

tl;dr

1) Read as much of Etienne Gilson as you can.
2) Read all of Mortimer Adler's stuff. He will make you a clearer thinker.
This is very helpful thanks.
I did get Etienne Gilson’s book on the philosophy of Thomas Aquinas. Also started on Chesterton’s essay on saint Thomas.

Thanks Chris.

I wanted to make a comment regarding the New Cambridge Companion to Aquinas.

It came out in August, and has Thomas Joseph White as a major contributor (author of the also new book on the Trinity which Jacob and others have praised).

I assume no one has yet read this?

I’m very keen to get it. Regrettably however I’ve been very busy lately and have had to put studies on Aquinas on hold for the time being.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back