How to switch from computer screen to camera during youtube record?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
I've started a youtube channel. Part of this is for my students and part for book reviews. How do I record what is on my screen and then switch back to the camera?

How do I record what is on my screen and then switch back to the camera?

Are you doing it live, or will you upload a recording? And what are your price points? If I had the hardware to handle the software I'd record and then use editing software to insert the screen shots. Or you could do it in something like Zoom, use the share screen function for your computer images for the broadcast, record the session as you go, then upload the product to YouTube. More expensive would be to get a mixer, input both devices, then have a producer do the switching for you as you talk.

Hello, @BayouHuguenot!

I recommend OBS for this. You can go about it in one of two ways.

The first is to record the whole video and just upload it to YouTube. OBS has a recording option to do this.

The other is to livestream from OBS. For this, you'll have to set up a new stream in YouTube. You'll be given a stream key. Under Settings -> Streaming in OBS, you'll find the option to paste in this key. OBS can now directly stream to your YouTube stream.

Whichever way you go, you'll want to set up scenes. You might have one scene with a window capture, which will capture whatever is in a window you choose. You might have another scene which has your camera. Once these scenes are set up, it's just a matter of hitting the transition button to swap between them. There's loads of documentation and guides for OBS available online if you get stuck.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but yesterday I found out we are using I think it is OBS to livestream church services, so I'll post this here (but may start a separate thread later).To me I had difficulty making mental notes of each step our tech was using to get the live stream going. We have a laptop as camera set up and either wifi or ethernet back to the internet box. But we have very choppy video and audio that cuts, stutters, etc. occasionally. Is there a one button solution that we don't have to have a trained backup guy to do livestream? The cutting and pasting didn't always take, the software was not intuitive (me watching six feet away) and my thought was, there has got to be a better way to do this.

Hello, @BayouHuguenot!

I recommend OBS for this. You can go about it in one of two ways.

The first is to record the whole video and just upload it to YouTube. OBS has a recording option to do this.

The other is to livestream from OBS. For this, you'll have to set up a new stream in YouTube. You'll be given a stream key. Under Settings -> Streaming in OBS, you'll find the option to paste in this key. OBS can now directly stream to your YouTube stream.

Whichever way you go, you'll want to set up scenes. You might have one scene with a window capture, which will capture whatever is in a window you choose. You might have another scene which has your camera. Once these scenes are set up, it's just a matter of hitting the transition button to swap between them. There's loads of documentation and guides for OBS available online if you get stuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back