How Much is "Too Much" to Pay a Pastor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine posted the following on his blog. Ben Broxton just received a call to Riverside Church in New York City. Get a load of his compensation for accepting the call:

* $250,000 in salary.
* $11,500 monthly housing allowance ($138K/yr).
* Private school tuition for their children.
* A full-time maid.
* "Entertainment," travel and professional development allowances.
* Pension and life insurance benefits.
* An equity allowance for the future purchase of a home.

And here I thought we were in a tough economy...

Wait a minute -- no health insurance?!? How do they expect him to survive? :rolleyes:

Hmmm. Is that the median salary/benefits of those that attend that church? If so, then I would have no problem with it.

A pastor that lives in relative poverty to the congregation is underpaid. A pastor that lives in relative luxury to the congregation is overpaid. A pastor that is within one standard deviation of the median income (hopefully toward the high side) is appropriately paid (given his credentials are "professional" ... he has at least a master's degree).

Hmmm. Is that the median salary/benefits of those that attend that church? If so, then I would have no problem with it.

A pastor that lives in relative poverty to the congregation is underpaid. A pastor that lives in relative luxury to the congregation is overpaid. A pastor that is within one standard deviation of the median income (hopefully toward the high side) is appropriately paid (given his credentials are "professional" ... he has at least a master's degree).

I tend to agree since that is the example of Levitical Law.

Generally, the tribe of Levi was one out of twelve. Therefore, there was one Levite family for every 11 nonlevite family. If all the Levite families tithed faithfully, the Levite family would earn 110% of the average of all 11 families.

Those are some high-sounding figures.

Maybe it's my background in the Roman Catholic Church, where pastors are not 'salaried' but only take a percentage from their parish's collection plate. (I've heard of many RCC priest-pastors making only 12 grand or so annually. Granted, they don't have wives or kids, and they live at the parish.)

I work with church's all over the U.S. (denominational as well as non-denominational). As a rule, African-American churches (which Riverside appears to be) hold their pastors in VERY high esteem. This pastor's compensation package is very typical for a church of this size and ethnic makeup. Like it or not, it's the rule rather than the exception.

I work with church's all over the U.S. (denominational as well as non-denominational). As a rule, African-American churches (which Riverside appears to be) hold their pastors in VERY high esteem. This pastor's compensation package is very typical for a church of this size and ethnic makeup. Like it or not, it's the rule rather than the exception.

I don't think Riverside would qualify as a African-American church. I don't know what the predominant ethnic group is but I know they are a multi-racial, multi-cultural church. It was started by John D. Rockefeller in the 30's, who chose personally Harry Emerson Fosdick as its pastor. I believe most of the wealth of the church comes from being vested by the Rockefeller family and probable investments made throughout the years.

I tend to agree since that is the example of Levitical Law.

Generally, the tribe of Levi was one out of twelve. Therefore, there was one Levite family for every 11 nonlevite family. If all the Levite families tithed faithfully, the Levite family would earn 110% of the average of all 11 families.

that's a lot!

Those are some high-sounding figures.

Just to make sure it's clear, "110% of the average of all 11 families" is just another way to say "10% more than the average living of the 11 families." I would hope that doesn't sound high. It is only a hair above what most around them would make, which I would say is entirely reasonable, and should be seen as a floor, not a maximum.

I don't mean to imply that you all didn't understand, but I know a lot of people struggle with percentages. Forgive me if y'all knew that :)

For as opinionated as I am about most things, I've never really known how to answer such a question as this post asks.

For me, I have come to trust the wisdom of my Session to oversee what I am paid. In my 13 years here, I have generally thought them to be sensitive and caring about this touchey issue. I certainly have more than my daily bread, for which I am very grateful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back