How Long Does Your Pastor Preach?

How long does your Pastor preach for on average?

• 15-20 minutes

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 20-25 minutes

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • 25-30 minutes

Votes: 18 11.7%
  • 30-35 minutes

Votes: 36 23.4%
  • 35-45 minutes

Votes: 47 30.5%
  • 45-60 minutes

Votes: 39 25.3%
  • 60+ minutes

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We need an "other".

Other:

I don't know; I don't watch the clock
It varies due to subject matter

Good, I'm happy to hear that you don't pay attention and you are paying attention to the preaching! :) Sorry, too late to do the other.

I just find it weird that some are exactly always 30 minutes (for example).

I know this may sound like a smarty pants answer but it is true none the less....

Until he is done, and we'd have it no other way.

BTW, I voted 45-60 min, as this is a good average but he has gone as long as 2 hr 10 min before.

I try and be about 35 minutes. We have had this discussion before, but I can see it beginning again. So many modern Reformed preachers think it unthinkable to preach of moderate length.

I can't think of 10 guys I would enjoy (and profit from) listening to for 60+ minutes on a regular basis. (And I would not include myself!)

I liked Joey Pipa! He preached for 60 minutes this past February, seemed like a normal 35 minute sermon. So there is one for your list Fred, I'd think you'd agree.

Not including God's call to worship, a prayer, God's greeting/blessing, singing a hymn, God's announcement of His law, our confession, God's announcement of His Gospel, our reciting of a passage, the Doxology, more singing after my pastor's preaching, our confession of one of the creeds, the pastor's prayer, our tithing, and one more hymn......:D, his preaching lasts about 40 mins. Otherwise, the whole worship service lasts one and half hours. But I voted 35-45 min because I think you want just how long he preaches,,,,right?

I liked Joey Pipa! He preached for 60 minutes this past February, seemed like a normal 35 minute sermon. So there is one for your list Fred, I'd think you'd agree.

Joey would be one - although not every time! :)

And it should be obvious that not every minister is a Joey in the pulpit.

Ours is soon going to be featured on Sermonaudio.com. Note to Australians here: you'll like his accent! (Voted: he generally preaches between 45-50+ minutes or so.)

Margaret

P. S. Just checked Sermonaudio.com: there he is, our minister, Rev. Sean Humby, with sermons linked!

Last edited:
Tim is gently stretching the congregation--they were used to no more than 15 minutes. He preaches between 25 and 35 minutes currently.

Could it be that those who preach less than a half hour just don't have that much to say on behalf of God and are probably better off not going longer?

Could it be that those who preach less than a half hour just don't have that much to say on behalf of God and are probably better off not going longer?

Not necessarily.

True, all I know is I read through a local pastor's sermon and if read aloud it would have been around 15 minutes. His main thesis was that Peter finally "got right" with God when he learned how to agape love Jesus. Agape love according to this pastor meant that Peter grasped the "unconditional love" of God. He repeated this thesis at least 6 times and then closed. I think if he had taken more than 15 minutes then his audience would have been in a worse condition then when he began.

I think these guys really just don't have that much to say for God.

Of course I shouldn't generalize. Jesus first sermon in Mark's account was one sentence and people are still talking about that. "Repent for the Kingdom of heaven is at hand." That didn't even take a minute to preach.

Not necessarily.

True, all I know is I read through a local pastor's sermon and if read aloud it would have been around 15 minutes. His main thesis was that Peter finally "got right" with God when he learned how to agape love Jesus. Agape love according to this pastor meant that Peter grasped the "unconditional love" of God. He repeated this thesis at least 6 times and then closed. I think if he had taken more than 15 minutes then his audience would have been in a worse condition then when he began.

Of course I shouldn't generalize. Jesus first sermon in Mark's account was one sentence and people are still talking about that. "Repent for the Kingdom of heaven is at hand." That didn't even take a minute to preach.

Nothing magical about 30 minutes. I've heard fantastic 12 minute sermons, and horrible 45 minute sermons.

Not necessarily.

Nothing magical about 30 minutes. I've heard fantastic 12 minute sermons, and horrible 45 minute sermons.

I once heard a Jewish Christian preach under a 10 minute sermon and it really was impressive. I didn't learn anything new about the Bible but the though he left me with played over for a few months. I must also confess I've preached more than a few horrible 45 minute ones in my life. Very true. I think if your doing exegitcal sermons 30 is probably a good safe minimum, since your weekly building on each message. I still prefer around 40 to 50 minutes or so.

I once heard a Jewish Christian preach under a 10 minute sermon and it really was impressive. I didn't learn anything new about the Bible but the though he left me with played over for a few months. I must also confess I've preached more than a few horrible 45 minute ones in my life. Very true. I think if your doing exegitcal sermons 30 is probably a good safe minimum, since your weekly building on each message. I still prefer around 40 to 50 minutes or so.

I guess it depends on how large the passage is and what you are trying to accomplish. I tend to go 25-30 minutes.

I hear outstanding 20-25 minute sermons weekly and our Pastor doesn't apologize for the sermon length. He even quips that for some it takes some getting used to but I'd much rather hear a 20-25 minute inspirational and informational packed message than a longer one which belabors the point.

However after reading "Why Johnny Can't Preach" by T. David Gordon I do understand there are sermons which can go as long as an hour without a person even noticing so length in those cases is inconsequential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back