How important is the Regulative Princilple?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladestunner316

Puritan Board Doctor
Now I brought this up in a conversion with my friends briefly and wanted some input. For the most part Im completely into the regulative principal. That all form of worship towards God is dictated in scripture.

I just wanted to hear from others here their belief on how important the RP is to christian worship.

blade

Violations of the Regulative Principle of Worship constitute violations of the Second Commandment -- so it's pretty important. One indicator of how God views this principle -- ie., that he alone determines how he is to be worshipped acceptably -- is to look at what happened to Nadab and Abihu (Lev. 10.1-2).

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
One indicator of how God views this principle -- ie., that he alone determines how he is to be worshipped acceptably -- is to look at what happened to Nadab and Abihu (Lev. 10.1-2).

... and to compare that incident with this statement:

Hebrews 12:28 Therefore let us be grateful for receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, and thus let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe, 29 for our God is a consuming fire.

It is important. Calvin sums up the high place the Regulative Principle of Worship holds, or should hold, in the Christian religion.
If it be inquired, then, by what things chiefly the Christian religion has a standing existence amongst us, and maintains its truth, it will be found that the following two not only occupy the principal place, but comprehend under them all the other parts, and consequently the whole substance of Christianity, viz., a knowledge, first, of the mode in which God is duly worshipped; and, secondly, of the source from which salvation is to be obtained.
The Necessity of Reforming the Church, Calvin's Selected Works 1.126.

Here is another quote from Calvin's Necessity of Reforming the Church,which follows shortly after the one given above.
I know how difficult it is to persuade the world that God disapproves of all modes of worship not expressly sanctioned by his word. The opposite persuasion which cleaves to them, being seated, as it were, in their very bones and marrow, is, that whatever they do has in itself a sufficient sanction, provided it exhibits some kind of zeal for the honor of God. But since God not only regards as fruitless, but also plainly abominates, whatever we undertake from zeal to his worship, if at variance with his command, what do we gain by a contrary course? The words of God are clear and distinct, "Obedience is better than sacrifice." "In vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men," (1 Sam. 15:22; Matt. 15:9). Every addition to his word, especially in this matter, is a lie. Mere "will worship" (ethelothreeskeia) is vanity. This is the decision, and when once the judge has decided, it is no longer time to debate.

Just wondering why Martin Luther (if I'm not mistaken) had such a different view about what constitutes acceptable worship? How did he justify his teaching about worship in light of some of the things already mentioned about the RP?

Originally posted by blhowes
Just wondering why Martin Luther (if I'm not mistaken) had such a different view about what constitutes acceptable worship? How did he justify his teaching about worship in light of some of the things already mentioned about the RP?

Luther's greatest contribution to the Reformation was his reaffirmation of the principle of justification by faith alone through grace. That was the pillar of God's Word upon which he stood, and that was the major battle that he fought (he fought others as well).

As to worship, he viewed the fundamental problem with Roman rites as being obligatory and required to please God rather than adiaphora, as he saw it. He thought that ceremonies and rituals might have a place in worship as long as they were not forced upon the conscience or tied to our righteous standing before God.

Calvin understood the nature of true worship much better than Luther. He saw that right worship at its core must involve apprehension of God as he is revealed to us in the word by faith and according to the manner which God has ordained for us to approach him. Anything else is presumption on our part.

Comparing the two, I would simply say that Calvin was more consistent than Luther in applying the principle of sola scriptura to worship. True religion is neither adding to nor taking away from God's Word. The traditions of men in worship always supplant God's word and therefore make such religion vain will-worship.

There is further helpful explanation of Lutheran inconsistencies in the area of worship to be found here.

Originally posted by joshua
Actually, I was just about to write what Andrew had written almost verbatim, but I didn't want to steal his thunder. :p
Wow, I'm very impressed with the knowledge that you held back from sharing. The comments you would have written were very helpful.

I have become more and more convinced the RPW is EXTREMELY important to how we worship God. Nadab and Abihu. Uzzah.

Our God does NOT ACCEPT worship that comes from our own imaginations. In fact, he gets rather angry when this happens.

It is in fact idolatry to worship God in any other way.

Violations of the Regulative Principle of Worship constitute violations of the Second Commandment -- so it's pretty important. One indicator of how God views this principle -- ie., that he alone determines how he is to be worshipped acceptably -- is to look at what happened to Nadab and Abihu (Lev. 10.1-2).

:ditto:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back