How full is your quiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so sorry the LORD plucked your Hannah before y'all got a chance to know her. Very hard it must have been! :^(

Under the circumstances I'd certainly say nieces and nephews count. I've got a pair of nieces and a great-nephew of whom I'm wildly fond. Spend a fair amount of time with my nieces, in fact; they're more like grandchildren, really. ;^)

God has blessed us with 3, David 14, Rebecca 12 & James 11.

I had James when I was 40 & since I am now 51 I think our quiver is full.

We have 5: Victoria Elizabeth 8, Jackson Bryce 7, Daniel Stephen 4, Emily Grace 2, Jonathan David 1.

If we include our own, and nieces, nephews, grandchildren:

if that is the case, then---My husband and I have seven between us (5 girls, 2 boys), 3 grandchildren, 6 nieces, 4 nephews, (2 great-nephews) and many other nieces and nephews on my husbands side which we have never met (as my husband was adopted and has three siblings from his birthparents, two of which he has never met, and one in which they have all lost contact with years ago)

We thought we couldn't have children when we first got married (after almost a couple years of trying) and that is what put adoption in the forefront of our minds. We were always open to the idea but it took a while for us to get it into our heads that we were being lead to adopt our first children. We have had Esther in our home for 9+ years and Joseph for 8. They are our kids - we know them better than our biological children; they've been there longer. Not everyone is lead in that direction, but if you enjoy years of torment with a possible happy ending, it may be for you! We're thinking we may top out at about 10, DV, but we'll see what He has in store for us. I know it is not very popular to adopt these days (and in the US, I can't imagine the hoops one has to jump through) but the children are such a blessing, I can't recommend it highly enough.

John, team Vandervliet must be quite a bunch. Is your avatar photo old? You don't look old enough to be "Opa" v/d Vliet.

The photo is over a year old. I didn't think I was old enough to be "Opa" either.

It truly is a blessing to be on a board where children are so loved. Even if God has seen fit to grant a single child, it is the completion of His will and must thus be perfect. This is yet another reason that the PB is so valuable to me. No one will tell me to "buy a TV" or tell me that my wife may not be able to handle homeschooling so many children. Nope, it's instead "wow, great, congratulations, how many more?" Wonderful.

Matt can likely tell you this too, that having a lot of children is not always regarded by fellow Christians as being blessed. I've been told I was irresponsible, careless, uncaring, and been the subject of many jokes; all at the pleasure of fellow Christians. There's a lot I can tell you about how some social structures are set up, even by fellow Christians, which make it especially hard on large families. There have been a lot of things said in our hearing that have hurt us deeply, as a family that embraces children. It's alienated us from people. All this while our family was growing up in one household.

Now that most of the kids are grown, things are different. There are five married, one more ready to move out, two out working, and three left in school; which means that of the six that are still at home, half of them are old enough to make their own decisions; so we're not seen as a big family anymore.

I agree with you about the attitude of this Board to children. This thread has been sheer joy to read. I've read it over a couple of times. I really feel for those who have lost a child, for those whose hearts yearn for their children, and those who reach out across various barriers to bring children into their homes, taking them as their own. No theological discussion can compare with the faith that is uttered in these posts.

We are expecting #5!

As they used to say about our (former) church at Ft Ogelthorpe GA (First PCA) "those people are pro-life & prolific!":lol:

Wow lots of people expecting! Sounds kind of familiar: in my church, someone is ALWAYS pregnant. Can't make up my mind if we're not also a maternity ward :lol: GOD IS GOOD!

I only have three sons. But two of them came out at the same time.
Does that add any points?
The three boys have kept me at a full quiver most of the time.

Always wanted a daughter but my wife lost her enthusiasm for pregnancy after birthing the twins.
I thought I heard somewhere 5 was considered a full quiver.

None, but I would like a number of arrows some day. Probably a good idea to find a wife first.

We have one (1). We were not able to have more children. God saw fit, in His sovereignty, to fill our quiver with one and only one child. She is 16 years old and as beautiful as her mother. She has a tender heart and a desire to serve God. She is all teenager, but she displays the qualities that her mother and I pray will allow her to be a mature and responsible adult.

Praise God for those of you who have many children. May God bless each one them. For those of you that have not been able to have children, may God grant you grace and fulfilment in other areas. Laurie and I have learned to appreciate every moment we have with the precious gift God has given us.

:ditto: I can appreciate your circumstance. My wife and I also were given only one child. I can't tell you how often we heard from people who thought it terrible that we only had one, that "good Christians" ought to have a quiver full. Out of frustration my quick response became "why would I want a quiver full of wooden arrows when God gave me a golden one?" I am happy to say that my daughter is grown, a solid Christian, married to a fine man, and now experiencing some of the same frustrations that her mother and I felt. She has been married almost 2 years, desperately wants a child and has so far been unsuccessful. Thank God that He knows what He's doing.

One step-son. One, our own, with the Lord. Humanly speaking no prospect of more. Bear in mind that this thread might be quite painful reading for those who are not so blessed. However, profoundly grateful to have the opportunity to be a believing father to my 9 year old, and to try to counteract the non christian influences he goes through.

Oh, and proud daddy to three rats and a dog!

JH

My wife and I have 5 here ... All boys ...

Bobby - 21
Jeff - 19
Shawn - 17
William - 7
Jesse - 5

Seven lively arrows, and twins on the way!

And studying divinity? That deserves a prize. What will you do for Hebrew exegesis in the weeks following the birth? blurry eyes will make it will look like a spider has bathed in an ink pot and scurried madly over the page.

Wow lots of people expecting! Sounds kind of familiar: in my church, someone is ALWAYS pregnant. Can't make up my mind if we're not also a maternity ward :lol: GOD IS GOOD!

I had the privilege in seminary to attend a church that loved the idea of lots of children. There were many young women there who constantly remained pregnant. It was also neat to see how some of the girls (ages 11-15) care for the younger children. It was neat seeing the older children take care of the younger ones in church without being asked. Of course, their parents took care of them mainly, but it was good having extra eyes.

I had the privilege in seminary to attend a church that loved the idea of lots of children. There were many young women there who constantly remained pregnant. It was also neat to see how some of the girls (ages 11-15) care for the younger children. It was neat seeing the older children take care of the younger ones in church without being asked. Of course, their parents took care of them mainly, but it was good having extra eyes.

Yep that sounds quite familiar! It's always great to be able to "adopt" a baby for a while, we're surrounded by young ones. Right now we have 2 ladies who are pregnant (one of which recently had a girl! She's maybe 3 months old?) and one that just had a whopping 11 pound baby boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back