How full is your quiver?

Discussion in 'Family Forum' started by JOwen, Feb 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gryphonette

Gryphonette Moderator

I'm so sorry the LORD plucked your Hannah before y'all got a chance to know her. Very hard it must have been! :^(

Under the circumstances I'd certainly say nieces and nephews count. I've got a pair of nieces and a great-nephew of whom I'm wildly fond. Spend a fair amount of time with my nieces, in fact; they're more like grandchildren, really. ;^)

2. Theogenes

Theogenes Puritan Board Junior

We have three teenage sons! I think I win!! :lol:
    Jim

3. Redaimie

Redaimie Puritan Board Freshman

God has blessed us with 3, David 14, Rebecca 12 & James 11.

I had James when I was 40 & since I am now 51 I think our quiver is full.

4. govols

govols Puritan Board Junior

WTMI

Way too much information! :D

5. Davidius

Davidius Puritan Board Post-Graduate

This discussion is making me very jealous and impatient. :eek:

:D

6. Theoretical

Theoretical Puritan Board Professor

:ditto:

7. CDM

CDM Puritan Board Junior

We have 4: Christopher-9, Ethan-4, Liberty-2, Abigail-1

8. govols

govols Puritan Board Junior

We have 5: Victoria Elizabeth 8, Jackson Bryce 7, Daniel Stephen 4, Emily Grace 2, Jonathan David 1.

9. lv1nothr

lv1nothr Puritan Board Freshman

Ya just never know!! ;)

10. BJClark

BJClark Puritan Board Doctor

If we include our own, and nieces, nephews, grandchildren:

if that is the case, then---My husband and I have seven between us (5 girls, 2 boys), 3 grandchildren, 6 nieces, 4 nephews, (2 great-nephews) and many other nieces and nephews on my husbands side which we have never met (as my husband was adopted and has three siblings from his birthparents, two of which he has never met, and one in which they have all lost contact with years ago)

11. Redaimie

Redaimie Puritan Board Freshman

:amen:miracles can happen.

12. kvanlaan

kvanlaan Puritan Board Doctor

We thought we couldn't have children when we first got married (after almost a couple years of trying) and that is what put adoption in the forefront of our minds. We were always open to the idea but it took a while for us to get it into our heads that we were being lead to adopt our first children. We have had Esther in our home for 9+ years and Joseph for 8. They are our kids - we know them better than our biological children; they've been there longer. Not everyone is lead in that direction, but if you enjoy years of torment with a possible happy ending, it may be for you! We're thinking we may top out at about 10, DV, but we'll see what He has in store for us. I know it is not very popular to adopt these days (and in the US, I can't imagine the hoops one has to jump through) but the children are such a blessing, I can't recommend it highly enough.

13. JohnV

JohnV Puritan Board Post-Graduate

The photo is over a year old. I didn't think I was old enough to be "Opa" either.

Matt can likely tell you this too, that having a lot of children is not always regarded by fellow Christians as being blessed. I've been told I was irresponsible, careless, uncaring, and been the subject of many jokes; all at the pleasure of fellow Christians. There's a lot I can tell you about how some social structures are set up, even by fellow Christians, which make it especially hard on large families. There have been a lot of things said in our hearing that have hurt us deeply, as a family that embraces children. It's alienated us from people. All this while our family was growing up in one household.

Now that most of the kids are grown, things are different. There are five married, one more ready to move out, two out working, and three left in school; which means that of the six that are still at home, half of them are old enough to make their own decisions; so we're not seen as a big family anymore.

I agree with you about the attitude of this Board to children. This thread has been sheer joy to read. I've read it over a couple of times. I really feel for those who have lost a child, for those whose hearts yearn for their children, and those who reach out across various barriers to bring children into their homes, taking them as their own. No theological discussion can compare with the faith that is uttered in these posts.

14. Dieter Schneider

Dieter Schneider Puritan Board Sophomore

Check John Wesley's brothers and sisters!

15. Kevin

Kevin Puritan Board Doctor

We are expecting #5!

As they used to say about our (former) church at Ft Ogelthorpe GA (First PCA) "those people are pro-life & prolific!":lol:

16. ~~Susita~~

~~Susita~~ Puritan Board Junior

All in God's timing, boys. ;) Y'all (or I should say WE) are still so young any way, you have lots you can do with this blessed time of singleness in His service.

17. ~~Susita~~

Wow lots of people expecting! Sounds kind of familiar: in my church, someone is ALWAYS pregnant. Can't make up my mind if we're not also a maternity ward :lol: GOD IS GOOD!

18. Richard King

Richard King Puritan Board Senior

I only have three sons. But two of them came out at the same time.
    Does that add any points?
    The three boys have kept me at a full quiver most of the time.

Always wanted a daughter but my wife lost her enthusiasm for pregnancy after birthing the twins.
    I thought I heard somewhere 5 was considered a full quiver.

19. SRoper

SRoper Puritan Board Graduate

None, but I would like a number of arrows some day. Probably a good idea to find a wife first.

20. MW

MW Puritanboard Amanuensis

I like it. Both paragraphs, that is.

21. JimJr

JimJr Puritan Board Freshman

:ditto: I can appreciate your circumstance. My wife and I also were given only one child. I can't tell you how often we heard from people who thought it terrible that we only had one, that "good Christians" ought to have a quiver full. Out of frustration my quick response became "why would I want a quiver full of wooden arrows when God gave me a golden one?" I am happy to say that my daughter is grown, a solid Christian, married to a fine man, and now experiencing some of the same frustrations that her mother and I felt. She has been married almost 2 years, desperately wants a child and has so far been unsuccessful. Thank God that He knows what He's doing.

22. MrMerlin777

MrMerlin777 Puritan Board Post-Graduate

One son, and one daughter.

23. CDM

CDM Puritan Board Junior

Indeed, use it well and wisely.

24. JonathanHunt

JonathanHunt Puritan Board Senior

One step-son. One, our own, with the Lord. Humanly speaking no prospect of more. Bear in mind that this thread might be quite painful reading for those who are not so blessed. However, profoundly grateful to have the opportunity to be a believing father to my 9 year old, and to try to counteract the non christian influences he goes through.

Oh, and proud daddy to three rats and a dog!

JH

25. Archlute

Archlute Puritan Board Senior

Seven lively arrows, and twins on the way!

:henderson: :ladyjanegrey:
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    :eek: :eek: :eek:
    :eek: :eek:

26. ANT

ANT Puritan Board Junior

My wife and I have 5 here ... All boys ...

Bobby - 21
    Jeff - 19
    Shawn - 17
    William - 7
    Jesse - 5

27. MW

MW Puritanboard Amanuensis

And studying divinity? That deserves a prize. What will you do for Hebrew exegesis in the weeks following the birth? blurry eyes will make it will look like a spider has bathed in an ink pot and scurried madly over the page.

28. BayouHuguenot

BayouHuguenot Puritanboard Amanuensis

I had the privilege in seminary to attend a church that loved the idea of lots of children. There were many young women there who constantly remained pregnant. It was also neat to see how some of the girls (ages 11-15) care for the younger children. It was neat seeing the older children take care of the younger ones in church without being asked. Of course, their parents took care of them mainly, but it was good having extra eyes.

29. BertMulder

BertMulder Puritan Board Junior

6 boys, one girl

The Lord has certainly blessed us!

30. ~~Susita~~

Yep that sounds quite familiar! It's always great to be able to "adopt" a baby for a while, we're surrounded by young ones. Right now we have 2 ladies who are pregnant (one of which recently had a girl! She's maybe 3 months old?) and one that just had a whopping 11 pound baby boy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.