How far with scripture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

INsearch

Puritan Board Freshman
Hey guys, sorry for such a long absence, but if there is one place where I know that its members are smart, and super to the extreme knowledgeable about scriptures and history..its you guys.

So I had recently found out that the KJV has verses in it that are largely omitted by other translations, but this is besides the point. I discussed this with someone else on a different Christian forum and I was then informed that for example..we are missing one of Pauls letters because it was lost..thus never canonized!! now..for me..with the whole Sola Scriptura thing..its kinda...made me go "what are the implications of this?" :wow: I don't make this thread to debate Sola Scriptura, I believe that regardless of missing some of Scriptures, and..NOT having all Scripture they are still authoritative, however how far then can we really go with Sola Scriptura? is it not possible that even critical beliefs can be completely wrong because we do not have all of Scriptures to show us? any advice guys? it really bothers me.

Some of Paul's letters were lost, but none of the Scriptures were lost. That which was lost was not Scripture.

Some of Paul's letters were lost, but none of the Scriptures were lost. That which was lost was not Scripture.

:ditto: it is important to remember the the scriptures are God's Word. God was not only behind the writing of them, but also the coming together of the canon. The canon is complete and also closed and you don't have to worry or be concerned that you are "missing" anything.

Thank you guys :) I actually last night..after having posted this thing, pretty much decided the same thing you have said here. If its Gods word then we have all that is needed because God is great and would not allow his children to go astray thus the realization that I have put a human Standard on God...by assuming that God can't keep his scriptures all together because of us..HUH! God is great! he has done many a miracle, many a great thing, for crying out loud he created our WORLD!! and here I was loathing in self pitty acting as if God had not the power to ensure his very own inspired word would be together..bleh!

One seminary professor put it this way: Even if we were to find tomorrow an assured, verified document that Jesus wrote out in His own hand, it would not change a thing, and that new material would not be Scripture.

I would suggest that you get and read a copy of The Inspiration and Canonicity of the Bible, by Dr. R. Laird Harris. Among other things, Harris also shows the fallacy of the idea that the Church decided what went into the canon of Scripture. Rather, the Church recognized the divine authority of each of the documents that are now between the covers of your Bible and mine.

One seminary professor put it this way: Even if we were to find tomorrow an assured, verified document that Jesus wrote out in His own hand, it would not change a thing, and that new material would not be Scripture.

Ok I understand now :) but question...why WOULDN'T we have a document actually written by the Christ as scripture? I mean..thats GODS writing right there....just asking ;)

Ok I understand now :) but question...why WOULDN'T we have a document actually written by the Christ as scripture? I mean..thats GODS writing right there....just asking ;)

Even if such a thing ever existed, I don't think the Lord would have allowed it to survive, because it would become an idol. In the same way, we don't have the ark of the covenant nor the tablets, nor do we know where Eden was, nor to we have a myriad of other artifacts. We have the Scriptures, and that is what God intends that we should have, so that hearing we would believe and trust in Him alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back