How doth this heighten and elevate humility

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Hugh Binning (Treatise of Christian Love), Works, p. 549:

If he did humble himself out of charity, who was so high, how should we humble ourselves, both out of charity and necessity, who are so low! If we knew ourselves, it were no strange thing that we were humble; the evidence of truth would extort it from us. But here is the wonder, that he who knew himself to be equal to God, should notwithstanding become lower than men; that the Lord of all should become the servant of all, and the King of glory make himself of no reputation! That he pleased to come down lowest, who knew himself to be the highest of all, no necessity could persuade it, but charity and love hath done it. Now, then, how monstrous and ugly a thing must pride be after this! That the dust should raise itself, and a worm swell; that wretched, miserable man should be proud, when it pleased the glorious God to be humble; that absolute necessity shall not constrain to this, that simple love persuaded him to! How doth this heighten and elevate humility, that such an one gives out himself, not only as the teacher, but as the pattern of it. “Learn of me, for I am meek and lowly in heart, and ye shall find rest unto your souls.”

The only person Who could have boasted in Himself did not boast during His ministry on earth is apprehended but not yet fully grasped by myself. Oh His love is beyond understanding though shall we all strive towards such by His grace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back