How Does a Cessationist Interpret 1 Corinthians 13:8-13 and Revelation 11:3-13?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Bob Gonzales

Puritan Board Junior
In “A Humble Argument for the Cessation of NT Prophecy and Tongues (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8), we’ve tried to demonstrate from the Scriptures that tongues and prophecy are forms of that pre-parousia special revelation which has been completed with the closing of the New Testament canon. The Christian church, therefore, should not expect the revelatory gifts of tongues and prophecy today. Before concluding our study, however, I’m endeavoring to respond to important objections raised against the cessationist position. I addressed the first four objections in my last post. The last objection entails two passages that seem to contradict the cessationist position. In particular, 1 Corinthians 13:8-13 and Revelation 11:3-13 seem to indicate that the gifts of prophecy and tongues will continue until the Return of Christ? This is, I believe, the most challenging objection to answer. In the post linked below, I attempt to demonstrate how a cessationist might interpret these passages.

The Cessation of Special Revelation: Objections to the Cessation of NT Prophecy and Tongues Answered, Part 2

Your servant,

Dr. Gonzales,

I haven't commented on any of these articles yet, but I wanted to finally get around to saying "Thank you" for these. They are very clear, well-written and insightful, and I have and will direct people to them. Thanks for dealing patiently with the issue and making them available to us.

Exegetically, the "maturity" view of 1 Cor. 13 is strongly supported by the fact that the "perfect" cannot be understood in detachment from its consistent usage throughout 1st Corinthians, and in every case it refers to the development of spiritual character and understanding. That this maturity still lies in the future is owing to the fact that the "pneumatikoi" amongst the Corinthians are operating in that transition phase in which the "ends of the ages" is still shedding its attachment to the old dispensation with its emphasis on charismatic individuals (parts) "manifesting" spiritual gifts for the benefit of the community. In a state of maturity the body will function as an integrated whole in faith, hope, and charity; at which point the body will know as it is known by God, i.e. personally, not by means of charismatic leaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back