How do you manage your personal library?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andres

Puritan Board Doctor
I know that many PBers are voracious readers and many here have "healthy" libraries. I am curious as to what you do with your books after you have read them...Do you keep every book you ever acquire? Do you sell them if you've read them? Is there some other option?

I am fully aware that many books would be considered reference books of sort, such as commentaries, systematic theologies, etc. Obviously I see the need for keeping those books. My problem is often times i read a book and find a few great quotes in it so then I think, "oh yeah, I will want to reference that again" so I convince myself I need to keep that book. Another reason I convince myself to keep every book is because I think if a book blesses me then surely someone else will enjoy it too. I reason I need to hold onto the book so I can loan it out at a later time.

Here is my problem: I have acquired quite a few books over the past few years. I would guess my library currently numbers about 200 books. I still have books on my shelf that I have never read. I either had them given to me or I bought them at a really good sale. Should I not buy anymore books until I read all the ones I have? Should I get rid of books I'm not reading, even if I think I'd like to read it once I find the time? BTW, space is not an issue for me at this time. We have a whole room for our office so we have 3 bookshelves in there stocked with books. I am worried though about being a good steward of what God has entrusted to me, especially when I want to buy more new books. What are your thoughts?

A lot of the answer to this depends on how you use your library. I find myself constantly referencing books I've already read. So, I don't tend to get rid of books I've read. But then also, I read with a pencil, so when I've finished, I have marginal notes in almost every book I read. That practice makes me even more reluctant to get rid of books I've already read. But these are the tools of my trade. My brother Adrian, not a pastor, but who might someday become an elder, has decided not to buy any book until he's read all the ones he has. I think this is just fine for a non-pastor. As a pastor, I would find such an approach severely limiting, especially since I like to be reading in a wide variety of books during the week. Plus, it is advantageous to me to have books on my shelf that I haven't used much yet, but will use in the future (which may be near or far!).

You can go through your library and prune periodically. If you're a hostile person, like I am, once you're put on to something better you get impatient with inferior things, even if they were helpful to you at a certain point, or you bought something in a moment of weakness because it was cheap, or someone gave you something that you're not very excited about. So every so often you can get rid of some stuff at a used bookstore and get something better. And sometimes you realize that someone can use a book and you give it to them, or you have to give someone a present and don't have time to shop or something. So there is some attrition from those causes.
But I don't think it's wise to read every book you have before you get any more. What if you get fired and have to spend a year without disposable income? If you have 20 massive volumes that you've never read, you've got a buffer for that sort of situation.

A lot of the answer to this depends on how you use your library. I find myself constantly referencing books I've already read. So, I don't tend to get rid of books I've read. But then also, I read with a pencil, so when I've finished, I have marginal notes in almost every book I read. That practice makes me even more reluctant to get rid of books I've already read. But these are the tools of my trade.

:ditto:

I periodically go through and ask myself, "Will I read this book in the next year or so?" If I can't say yes, I donate the book to the library.

Exceptions to this rule are commentaries, systematics, and hard to find books.

Does anyone on the board use Paperback Swap? I really love this website. Basically you trade books with strangers. You list all the books you are willing to part with. Then, when someone requests one of your books, you simply mail it to them. The sender is responsible for packaging and postage. Of course, you peruse the library as well and can request any books you want. I have gotten a few gems on there, but for the most part the biggest knock on the site is that it's strongly lacking in quality theological books. I wonder if something similar to the site, but for Christian books and theology would work? I would be interested...

I forget who, but someone here on PB has a Reformed Library where he mails out the books and you return them when done.

I forget who, but someone here on PB has a Reformed Library where he mails out the books and you return them when done.

yes you're right! I remember seeing that too, but I forget the member. Anyone remember who this dear brother is with this ministry? This ministry would be a great place to unload books we don't want anymore also.

Since I have only been a Christian for a couple of years and reforming for around a year, my Library is fairly small, around 70 books. I have went through and culled some out that had been given to me and I knew I would never read again and tossed them in the round file (Hinn, creflo, etc) so no one else would read them either. Mostly I tend to keep them for further reading, I normally do better on the second time around.

Life's too short to read anything but the very best stuff. The problem is getting to the point where you can make those decisions. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back