How did you meet your husband or wife?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyFlynt

Puritan Board Doctor
Advice from the wife of a man who married first....go to school first, you might find yourself too caught up with trying to support a family to be able to go to school otherwise.

But, then on the otherhand, you could raise a family and hit seminary when you get about 40...you'll have life experience and know better if you are fit for ministry. (that wasn't a slam btw, by fit I mean if you have proved yourself worthy by management of your own household and family's spiritual growth)
 

Scott Bushey

Puritanboard Commissioner
Originally posted by LadyFlynt
Advice from the wife of a man who married first....go to school first, you might find yourself too caught up with trying to support a family to be able to go to school otherwise.

But, then on the otherhand, you could raise a family and hit seminary when you get about 40...you'll have life experience and know better if you are fit for ministry. (that wasn't a slam btw, by fit I mean if you have proved yourself worthy by management of your own household and family's spiritual growth)
Thats more difficult however........$$$$
 

LadyFlynt

Puritan Board Doctor
I am SOOOO aware of that, Scott! I deal with a hubby who gets overwhelmed by it at times and gets frustrated at some of his friends who can get caught up in unintentional intellectual snobbery...they admit he knows as much as they do...the only difference is there isn't a degree behind his name.

Just thought I would take it from both angles...don't want to encourage the kid (okay, I barely above kidhood myself!) to rush marriage...lol...what's "hot" now may not be so hot 10yrs from now. I think my hubby is downright handsome, ten to fifteen years ago alot of girls though he didn't look so hot. I say mine's aged well...others that were cute then wouldn't hold a match to him now.
 

Scott Bushey

Puritanboard Commissioner
Originally posted by LadyFlynt
I am SOOOO aware of that, Scott! I deal with a hubby who gets overwhelmed by it at times and gets frustrated at some of his friends who can get caught up in unintentional intellectual snobbery...they admit he knows as much as they do...the only difference is there isn't a degree behind his name.
I can relate. I stand next to Matt often. Funny how we have anything in common, but we do. We both love the Lord, we love to talk theology, we love to eat (a lot), movies, comic book heroes, books, food (did I mention food?), Strong Bad & Homestarrunner.........
 

LadyFlynt

Puritan Board Doctor
Must be a guy thing...cause I think I'm in between you two age-wise....and have not a clue....

[Edited on 3-11-2005 by LadyFlynt]
 

MICWARFIELD

Puritan Board Freshman
My wife and I met at a mega-church here in San Diego in 1989. I was attending their "School of Evangelism" at the time. We became best friends and would go out and have coffee about five times a week. We always had very intellectualy stimulating conversation, but never thought of each other as anything beyond friends. She wasn't my type and I certainly wasn't hers.

When my semester ended, I moved back to the central coast, and it was then, in each others absence that we both realized we had "feelings" for eachother. I moved back to San Diego a month later and we married in 91. We've been married 14 years now. God has also blessed us with two great kids!!
 

pastorway

Puritan Board Senior
it seemed that a lot of people marry someone who is like-minded with them yet someone who they really don't enjoy their physical and personality aspects thinking that the other aspects might grow on them or that God just wants them to marry this specific person because the opportunity and situation is points that way.
When God brings her to you, you will say, like Adam did in the Garden when he woke up from his "nap"

WO - MAN !!!!

My wife was my best friend first, but that does not mean that there was no physical attraction. She is attractive in so many ways - physical, mental, emotional, spiritual - as a whole person she is BEAUTIFUL.

Likemindedness is nice, but it is not enough!

Phillip
 

Richard King

Puritan Board Senior
My wife loves to tell people she found me at a camp for special needs children.
She always leaves out the details that I was working there - not officially a special needs child.

Penn State sent her to Texas to do some research and I already had a GORGEOUS girlfriend. A girl I was dating largely because my friends could not believe a girl that attractive would even date me. (yes I was shallow and lacking anything resembling wisdom.)

Then I as the summer went by I noticed I went from thinking
" I wish my current girlfriend was like this Yankee girl in terms of inner substance"
to thinking... "I hope the mother of my kids is like that Pennsylvania girl"
to thinking ...that girl from Pittsburgh is going to be a catch for someone...
then I quit dating the gorgeous girl who was so into being strikingly stylish because this Pittsburgh girl was the kind to get out in the mud and chase a duck and catch it so a blind child could touch it and the kind of person who I would catch just staring at a starry night and bragging on my Texas sky.
then I thought...I need to keep in touch with this remarkable person.

Then she left and we wrote letters for many months which is an excellent way to get to know someone...(this was before Al Gore invented the internet). She wrote that she was returning to Texas. I panicked and said don't do it because of me (because I had this great fantasy of being a freebird traveling the world for a few years before getting hitched) She said "you do what you gotta do as for me I want to live in Texas"...she returned anyway and I remember when she got off the plane I thought...I am sunk. This is going to end up in marriage. And it did in 1977 and it is still wonderful...my greatest accomplishment...better than ever. It was meant to be.
 

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
Originally posted by Richard King
My wife loves to tell people she found me at a camp for special needs children.
She always leaves out the details that I was working there - not officially a special needs child.
:lol:
 

rmwilliamsjr

Puritan Board Freshman
Originally posted by MICWARFIELD
My wife and I met at a mega-church here in San Diego in 1989. I was attending their "School of Evangelism" at the time. We became best friends and would go out and have coffee about five times a week. We always had very intellectualy stimulating conversation, but never thought of each other as anything beyond friends. She wasn't my type and I certainly wasn't hers.

When my semester ended, I moved back to the central coast, and it was then, in each others absence that we both realized we had "feelings" for eachother. I moved back to San Diego a month later and we married in 91. We've been married 14 years now. God has also blessed us with two great kids!!
i grew up in Clairemont, finished a BA at UCSD and went to Westminster West for a couple of years, left when i couldn't afford housing.

my wife is from Maine, we met in Texas when we both were in the Army at Ft.SamHouston.
 

Herald

Administrator
Staff member
I was an RA/student at the Word fo Life Bible Institute in Pottersville, NY (a good free-will school). It was rollerskating night and one of the guys in my dorm and I were watching everyone rollerskate. At the center of the gym was a leggy blonde doing pirouettes. I still remember it as if it were today. I can see her blonde hair twirling as she spun in graceful circles. I told the guy next to me, "I'm gonna marry that girl." We both laughed and then walked away. Over the next few weeks I kept on running into her and it was obvious (to her) that there was a strong attraction. Years later she would tell me that I couldn't have been more obvious about my intentions.

As time passed I worked up the courage to ask her to a recorded Sandi Patti concert on campus. Boy, I was as lame as the concert we went to. But she went. We were engaged on 10/21/88 and married on 10/21/89. She is as much my bride today as she was when we both said, "I do."
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top