How did King David love his enemies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
By being unfailingly respectful to Saul and showing kindness to his descendants.

He hoped for their eventual restoration, under his/Christ's benevolent rule.

Ps.51:13 Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.

Ps.86:9,14,17 All nations whom thou hast made shall come and worship before thee, O Lord; and shall glorify thy name....O God, the proud are risen against me, and the assemblies of violent men have sought after my soul; and have not set thee before them....Shew me a token for good; that they which hate me may see it, and be ashamed: because thou, LORD, hast holpen me, and comforted me.

Ps.59:10-13 My God in his steadfast love will meet me; God will let me look in triumph on my enemies. Kill them not, lest my people forget; make them totter by your power and bring them down, O Lord, our shield! For the sin of their mouths, the words of their lips, let them be trapped in their pride. For the cursing and lies that they utter, consume them in wrath; consume them till they are no more, that they may know that God rules over Jacob to the ends of the earth. Selah

Ps.40
It is not beyond possibility that Ps.40 is David's meditation on the trials of Joseph, perhaps in conjunction with some trial of his own. Consider the following: an allusion to the "pit" (v2), his refusal to restrain the lips of prophecy (vv9-10) despite many reasonable temptations to do otherwise, his present doleful circumstances (v12), expectation of reversal (vv14-15) but always hope for those who will (eventually) love the Lord's salvation (v16).

He allowed Shimei to go unpunished when Shimei cursed him. One commentator whom I otherwise find very profitable seems to have a poor opinion of David generally, and thinks the remarks to Solomon about Shimei on his deathbed were vindictive and hateful and evidence of a general decline in his spiritual life. I can't see them that way. It seems more like David practiced mercy even when it went against his 'better judgment' -- as one who had experienced great mercy. I wonder if there are typical things going on there as well, which I don't fully understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back