How about a chat client

Status
Not open for further replies.

NB3K

Puritan Board Sophomore
It would be sweet if we could have a Puritian Board version of Facebook with a built in chat client.

I've actually been thinking... what about a PB TinyChat room? For those unfamiliar with the site, it allows you to create a chat room where various users can speak to one another live via webcam/microphone. You can also simply chat via text, a la a standard chat room. Here's a little example:

[video=youtube;TaBlw-nMFbE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaBlw-nMFbE[/video]

That site has so much unused potential. Currently, seemingly 99% of rooms are devoted to either Justin Bieber, hip-hop music/culture, or marijuana. Kids these days. But I have seen companies use it for video conferencing, etc. I and some fellow students at university used it occasionally for study meetings.

The highest privacy settings, of course, would have to be put in place for the room.

What would be the point of the chat room? If we want to have discussions with each other, isn't that the whole point of this forum?

What would be the point of the chat room? If we want to have discussions with each other, isn't that the whole point of this forum?

That's about like saying "What's the point of email? Isn't communication the whole point of phone calls?"

Chat rooms and forums serve slightly different purposes.

I believe there was a chatroom on the PB in the past, but it was seldom used. It may have been considered primitive by today's standards. Some of the long time members, mods and admins would probably be able to supply additional information.

Chat rooms and forums serve slightly different purposes.

ok, then enlighten me - what is the purpose of a forum and what is the purpose of a chat room?

Minor discussions and general conversation compared to major discussion on a particular topic. i.e. you go into the chat room to just talk with other PB'ers, ask basic questions, etc. while you would use the message board as a place to post Debates, in-depth stuff, conversations that need a lot of space and time (chatroom conversations don't last long).

Yeah if someone on the board could be reached and be able to have a realtime chat about posts and other things it would be great.

To me it seems that chat rooms are for social interaction without a goal or stated direction whereas forum threads are topically driven discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back