Household Baptisms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Bushey

Puritanboard Commissioner
Horace Bushnell, in his treatise entitled "Christian Nurture" writes:

"It follows that the children of Christian disciples,being baptized with their parents, as the children of Gentile proselytes were baptized with theirs, would be taken or presumed by the church to be spiritually cleansed, in the same manner. Accordingly, just as the children of Jews were accounted Jews, and not as unclean, when one of the parents was a Jew, so Paul tells us, that in the church of God, the believing party sanctifies the unbelieving, "else were your children unclean, but now are they holy; " showing that the Jewish analogies, in regard to children, were in fact translated, or passed over to the church, and adopted there-[i:a461b2d6e2]a translation[/i:a461b2d6e2] that naturally followed. from the reapplication of proselyte baptism."

Comments?

[Edited on 5-23-2004 by Scott Bushey]

I fully agree W.C.F ch. 28 sec 4 states; That not only those who do actually profess faith in and obedience unto Christ, but also the infants of one, or both ,believing parents, are to be Baptized.
1 Cor. 7:14 For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is they are holy:think:

One question though!

When a man enters into the covenant community suppose he has children age 15-17, and a wife all of them unbelieving and unreceptive to the gospel. How do they relate to the covenant?

[quote:f1100b10fd][i:f1100b10fd]Originally posted by Ianterrell[/i:f1100b10fd]
One question though!

When a man enters into the covenant community suppose he has children age 15-17, and a wife all of them unbelieving and unreceptive to the gospel. How do they relate to the covenant? [/quote:f1100b10fd]

Answer:
See above posts!

:chained: to the truth

Scott,

Not to be fresh, but I wouldn't have asked the question if I was able to draw the answer from your earlier post.

What would a recently regenerate man do if his children and/or wife expressed faithlessness? I know Paul says the spouse is sanctified and the children are holy even without faith. But I'm assuming that in this specific situation where the other part of the family expresses a clear unwillingness to be involved in Christ such as Bunyan's [i:1a15786be5]Pilgrim[/i:1a15786be5] shouldn't apply the covenant seal to them right?...or wrong? I have no idea on this one. I'm the student here, school me.

I'm sorry Ian. I appreciate your frankness. If you knew me well, you would understand me a bit more.:rolleyes:

God has promised something. The same faithfullness that compelled father Abraham to bring Issac hither and trust God to raise him up if in fact the act had been completed is the same faith and faithfulness us covenanters hold fast to. The human perception is to be put aside and supernatural things are to be sought; because God is supernatural, not human.

So, I guess it all depends upon how one see's the promise. hebrews chapter 11 is one of my favorites, for the obvious.

In being specific, if a newly regenerate man found [i:36083d460c]faithlessness[/i:36083d460c] in his spouse and child, why become frustrated; trust in Him who is even now able to save to the uttermost! In regards to the seal, the scripture is clear:

1 Cor. 7:14 For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is they are holy.

[quote:2734ac48e7][i:2734ac48e7]Originally posted by Ianterrell[/i:2734ac48e7]
Scott,

Not to be fresh, but I wouldn't have asked the question if I was able to draw the answer from your earlier post.

What would a recently regenerate man do if his children and/or wife expressed faithlessness? I know Paul says the spouse is sanctified and the children are holy even without faith. But I'm assuming that in this specific situation where the other part of the family expresses a clear unwillingness to be involved in Christ such as Bunyan's [i:2734ac48e7]Pilgrim[/i:2734ac48e7] shouldn't apply the covenant seal to them right?...or wrong? I have no idea on this one. I'm the student here, school me. [/quote:2734ac48e7]
I would rest in God's Promises.
Acts 2:39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off- for all whom the Lord our God shall call.
Isaiah 54:13 All your children shall be taught of the Lord, and great shall be the peace of your children.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back