Hope Chests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, Gregg. I was going by the fact that I have a pine dining set and it is a pain! MIL bought it brand new and it has not fared well over the years. I'm not familiar though with the particular types of pine though.

Originally posted by LadyFlynt

Evie, I totally understand about the sentimentality thing...but there are many families that are unable to afford or make a chest. Also, it is a starting point until a chest can be bought or made for other families. My daughter will be starting hers. Then in a couple of years we plan on presenting her with a chest made by her Daddy. But for now, she is of the age where she is learning home-making skills and is anxious to learn more, this will add to her excitement and understanding of the importance of preparation.

[Edited on 2-8-2006 by LadyFlynt]

Totally understandable... and I think a tub is quite acceptable (and good) as a starting point. :)

Originally posted by Gregg
Originally posted by puritansailor
Originally posted by Gregg
Actually the chest itself can be constructed out of any good furniture grade wood or cabinet grade plywood as long as the inside has some cedar in it. Because cedar is very soft, it would not be the best choice of wood for the chest construction itself.

How about Pine? Would that work well? And what kind of stain would preserve the longest?

Yes, pine would be ok

My choice would be a good cabinet grade plywood because you would have to do a fair bit of glueing boards together if using individual solid wood pieces. The plywood is much stronger and the wood will never crack. They make knotty pine plywood for cabinets, or you could use oak or birch (without all the glueing)

I like ZAR brand stains (oil based). You can then topcoat over the stain (when dry) with a couple/few coats of satin polyurathane (oil based)for the most durability.

Or if you like early American finishes, you could use an oil based paint finish like OLD VILLAGE which has many nice traditional colors that look antique. This finish is very durable also.

Cool, thanks! :up:

Originally posted by ~~Susita~~
We used to make quilts for AIDS patients back in 4-H, and we would also make our own quilts to show in the fair and stuff like that.

Here's one I made for my bed:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Susie-Q/quilts001.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Susie-Q/quilts002.jpg

Here's a lap quilt I made for my daddy. And yes, that is denim fabric and jean pockets on the corners:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Susie-Q/quilts003.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Susie-Q/quilts004.jpg

And here's another lap quilt. It's amazing how well purple and yellow go together!
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Susie-Q/quilts005.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Susie-Q/quilts006.jpg

I still need to make one for mommy, too.

Those are wonderful quilts! I still consider myself a beginner as I've only made 4 quilts (3 baby quilts, 1 lap quilt and a few smaller projects like table runners). I'd love to swap patterns and ideas with anybody! My little one is definitely gonna learn to quilt! :)

Originally posted by LadyFlyntSusita, on colours...with quilts, you know that they are generally multicoloured anyhow...though with a basic "main" colour. And if you are making several of them, just make each one different, something that you know that you and your kids could live with (and truth be told, your family will care less about the colour and more about the import of knowing it was created by you! Hubby has a lavender quilt his grandmother made him as a child, he never cared as a child, it was made by grandma).
On the rest of the house, just choose colours you are certain you can live with for a time. Kitchen and bath towels, etc. wear out within a few years...particulary after you start having children.

Here's what it boils down to...This is not about perfection, matching decor, etc. This is about preparation, attitude training, learning skills, sentimentality, and seeing marriage as a blessing...instead of the modern view of only relying on bridal showers and registries (thus, I'm not saying those two things are bad...I just personally don't believe they compare in the long-term view of things).

Yeah, you're right; it's not that big a deal.

As for swapping patterns... Sounds great! I don't have any Friday classes (thank goshness!!!) so I might have time to draw some up and take pictures.

Church tonight :banana:

Originally posted by ~~Susita~~
Why thank-you! And sorry, you can't have it. Mine mine mine! :lol:

And I don't blame you...in fact, I think you would need to be institutionalized if you actually did give it away! :D

Well, tonight I bought an robin's egg blue sterilite tub for $3.83 and they had these beautiful photo albums that hold 4x6 pictures on clearance 2 for $7...all at Walmart. The albums will be great for holding recipe cards (one was pink and the other blue)...since my daughter's favorite colour is blue we are giving her 9yr cousin the pink one for her birthday tomorrow (sil and I were talking about hope chests the other day). Can't beat $10 for a nice start.

Neat idea about recipie cards . . . I've got to do something with mine - I've currently got a pile in a drawer in the kitchen (=rather disorganized)! But I'm not sure if the drawer is big enough to fit a box in.

That is a great idea for recipes! The ones I wrote are stashed away in what is supposed to be a makeup carrier box thing So I'm not too organized either. :lol: I'll be getting a plain one so I can decorate it, though.

My neice loved her recipe book. I took the corded ribbon I had used on the wrapping (triple cord of pink, gold, and olive green) and tie it around the middle of the book to create two bookmarks for her (I didn't want the cording wasted and her brother was swinging it around...LOL!).

Last night I started pulling together a binder for my daughter called "Handiwork Skills A Young Lady Should Know" (yes, borrowed from the Hope Chest Legacy site). In it I'm putting lists (what she needs for a sewing basket, stitches she needs to learn, and there will be so much more when I am done!). Now, I just need printer ink...LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back