Holman Christian Standard Bible

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far I find it a little better than the NIV.

brother.Jon,

Hopefully, you will have a chance to respond soon as I now see a signature. I would also like to point out that it is good that you check out the author but your statements do not reflect that you have even read his book. In all fairness, don't you think people should read a persons work before trying to tear it apart?

Originally posted by brother.Jon
If you purchase a car, you have to reject some until you come to the one you feel is reliable.

So since we own two Toyotas we accept Toyotas and reject all other cars. But then again, one is a car and the other a truck. So if I drive the truck to work and my wife drives the car then have I rejected the car and she the truck, or are we just using the TOOL we prefer to get the job done for the day?

I have more than one version I use daily. The KJ is one of them, but not the only one. So I don't reject it. I use it along with the others.

The problem with KJV Onlism is as simple as having only one tool in ones toolbox because of the belief that there are no other tools available for use.

Forgive me if this appears arrogant, and I would not presume to be the most learned in this debate.

But it seems to me the KJ only guys (and I have a friend who is one) seem to be limiting God. Can not an all powerfull God work through other Good translations? I agree we do have some bad ones but the ESV NKJV NASB all seem to be good and they certainly dont seem to be changing sny doctrines etc.

:handshake: Welcome Shane!

It is unfortunate that KJ only guys tend to do that. I am amazed at how they tend to push the original languages aside. I must admit, I was disturbed at how brother.Jon showed little respect for people like Fred Greco. Many of the people on this board can translate the orignal languages on the fly.

Thanks Brandon

Very true, It just strikes me as narrow minded and to add to that what about the poor guys who are not so fluent in English, now they have to deal with the good old Elizabethan text. They would grow much more spiritualy with an easier text like the ESV where they could get a better understanding of Gods Word.
I use a NKJV and NASB myself and still want to get the ESV. I aslo agree that there is nothing wrong with the KJ and if its your preference great but dont limit Gods ability to teach to one Bible that is not even the original Hebrew and Greek

Originally posted by Shane
I use a NKJV and NASB myself and still want to get the ESV. I aslo agree that there is nothing wrong with the KJ and if its your preference great but dont limit Gods ability to teach to one Bible that is not even the original Hebrew and Greek

:ditto:

FYI - You can get the ESV free from http://www.e-sword.net

Thanks

I do actually have it on Esword. But I am one of those nutty book collectors so I simply gotta get the book. :p
Not only that I want it to be the new ESV Reformed Study Bible, and my wife keeps telling me I have got enough!:banghead:

"Im sorry you reject anything King James. I am also sorry you reject people who have found apostasy in todays translations."

Apostasy? Do you know what apostasy means?

Back to the original question of the Holman... I don't care for it.

There are a few phrases I think they translate well, and I like how they put "Hallelujah" for "praise God" in the Psalms, and their use of "Messiah".

On the other hand, there are many mistranslated things, it is choppy - though not as much as the NASB..but at least the NASB has accuracy going for it. The reason they say is behind creating a new translation (HCSB) was noble though. And I appreciate that they let e-sword use it without fee. That says a lot for Lifeway in my opinion...

I tend to agree with those that say that the best translation is one translated into a life. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back