Holman Christian Standard Bible

Status
Not open for further replies.

4ndr3w

Puritan Board Freshman
Has anyone any thoughts on the Holman Christian Standard Bible? I did a search and could only find this same question.

Here are some sample (HCSB) quotes:

(John 3:16)
"For God loved the world in this way: He gave His One and Only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life.

(John 6:44-45)
"No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him, and I will raise him up on the last day. It is written in the Prophets: And they will all be taught by God. Everyone who has listened to and learned from the Father comes to Me-- "

(Romans 9:10-16)
"And not only that, but also when Rebekah became pregnant by Isaac our forefather (for though they had not been born yet or done anything good or bad, so that God's purpose according to election might stand, not from works but from the One who calls) she was told: The older will serve the younger. As it is written: Jacob I have loved, but Esau I have hated. What should we say then? Is there injustice with God? Absolutely not! For He tells Moses: I will show mercy to whom I show mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion. So then it does not depend on human will or effort, but on God who shows mercy."

(Ephesians 2:8-9)
"For by grace you are saved through faith, and this is not from yourselves; it is God's gift-- not from works, so that no one can boast."

(Galatians 5:19-23)
"Now the works of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, moral impurity, promiscuity, idolatry, sorcery, hatreds, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambitions, dissensions, factions, envy, drunkenness, carousing, and anything similar, about which I tell you in advance--as I told you before--that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, gentleness, self-control. Against such things there is no law."

(Acts 11:17-18)
Therefore, if God gave them the same gift that He also gave to us when we believed on the Lord Jesus Christ, how could I possibly hinder God?" When they heard this they became silent. Then they glorified God, saying, "So God has granted repentance resulting in life to even the Gentiles!"

I don't know much about it, but in reading the quotes you posted I can tell you one thing: they come closest to translating John 3:16 as the Greek has it to any English translation.

The HCSB is a translation paid for and translated by the SBC. It's okay. It's used in our SBC SS literature. I use the ESV.

It is my understanding that the HCSB was a Holman project that came under the umbrella of the SBC when they bought out Holman. I use it in teaching the young adult SS class, Wednesday Bible study, and the Sunday evening service. I use the KJV for the Sunday AM service.

Originally posted by sundoulos I use the KJV for the Sunday AM service.

I love the KJV. To me, it's the most beautiful of all the translations. I think it's much easier to memorize also, but it is old English. We have a tendency to be able to remember the odd (different) rather than the "normal".

I have my KJV right there with my ESV.

Sorry BroJon, but that article didn't help much. It appeared to be from a group of KJV only guys who were trying to show the inadequacies of modern translations. Notice that many of the arguments made are lobbied against the ESV and NASB as well. The article is right though when it cleaims that the HCSB rejected the Masoretic text in light of LXX on some occasions, but most modern translations do at times. I like the sentence that says, "The Holman version also frequently rejects the Hebrew Masoretic text and instead follows the Greek Septuagint, the Syriac, Vulgate, or in some cases, just makes up its own text as it goes along. " Yeah I'm sure they just made stuff up as they went along. Lame.

From what I've read of the HCSB, it appears to be a slightly more conservative NIV. It ain't bad, but I'd rather read out of my wife's NKJV or my ESV.

The HCSB is just a dupe of the NIV. The SBC just got tired of paying for the copyright.
Im sorry you reject anything King James. I am also sorry you reject people who have found apostasy in todays translations.
What ever itches the ears, I guess.

An article from the same misguided KJV only website seems to heap praise upon our dear friend and defender of the faith Dr. James White. The article states:

James White has committed another blunder in his vain attempts to overthrow the authority of God's pure words as found in the King James Bible. He has no Final Authority but his own mind and would like very much for you to join him and his merry Bible of the Month Club Band to find out what God REALLY said.

How charitable. That means loving for all you non KJVers out there.

:down::down::down:

Phillip

You must be a White fan. Like White, I see you like to attack the intelligence and scholarhip of KJB defenders.
Do you also base your translation beliefs on the fact that ALL modern translators must be sincere, and wouldn't possibly make a mistake?
Do you also ignore the fact that KJB defenders have also reject Ruckman?
Do you also think that translations are man-centered and not God-centered, as Mr .White does?
Im not sure how Mr. White is a "defender" of anything, when all he tries to do is make up some stuff to pitch another snake oil modern version.

In all honesty Ivan, if the KJB isn't your Bible of choice, then you reject it.
If you purchase a car, you have to reject some until you come to the one you feel is reliable.
Not only do the anti-KJO folks reject the KJB, they reject those who are. As pastorway so politely put it, "misguided".
Oh poor us.

Originally posted by brother.Jon
If you purchase a car, you have to reject some until you come to the one you feel is reliable.
Not only do the anti-KJO folks reject the KJB, they reject those who are. As pastorway so politely put it, "misguided".
Oh poor us.

Then I guess you have rejected the Greek and Hebrew Bible, since you don't use it. Poor God, to have been so benighted as to use those languages.

Oh poor us.

That is true, if the KJV isn't your bible of choice, then one by logical consequence, one does reject it. But what do you mean by "it"? Am I rejecting the Bible or the KJV?

brother.Jon,

It is my observation that most everyone you have challenged in this and other threads have been using due diligence as mentioned in 2 Tim. 2:15 which states:

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Tim. 2:15 (KJV)

Anything less would be disobedience.

Also, you have made several negative statements against James White without stating direct quotes from him. I ask that you prove your statements concerning James White.

Fred, again you are hung on this "we must speak Hebrew or Greek to know what God is saying".

"Am I rejecting the Bible or the KJV?"
If you don't use the KJB then you reject it. I don't use the NIV, I reject, I don't use the NASB, I reject it. I don't know where you take reject meaning the Bible. Unless you are agreeing that the KJB is the Bible God gave us.

Ah, Mr. White... Someone earlier stated that I neededto read his book. Well, before I read anyones book, I have a habit of checking up on the author. Here are some quotes as to why the White fans are against the KJB only folks.

"As long as we allow the defender of the AV to determine the grounds of the argument by assuming the KJV to be the standard of all others, we will get absolutely nowhere." (J. White, The King James Only Controversy, pg. 129
"The King James Only controversy, by its very nature, brings disruption and contention right into the pews of the local Christian church. KJV Only advocates due to the nature of their beliefs, are often disruptive of the fellowship in churches feeling that their message of God's one true Bible needs to be heard by all" (White, TLJOC, pg. iv).
KJO advocates disruptive? Division happens when people change from the Bible that was used by most people since the 18th century.
What does he write?
"Responsibility must be laid at the door of the KJV Only camp for the destruction of many Christian churches" (p. iv).
The church has been under attack ever since the new snake oil translations came along. I think the responsibilty is on Mr. White, and his followers, for supporting them.

For further reading:

http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/examining01.htm
http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/examining02.htm
http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/examining03.htm
http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/examining04.htm
http://www.geocities.com/brandplucked/Acts10-11.html
http://www.geocities.com/brandplucked/Jude4.html
http://www.av1611.org/KJV/ripwhit1.html
http://www.av1611.org/KJV/ripwhit2.html
http://www.av1611.org/KJV/ripwhit3.html
http://www.av1611.org/KJV/ripwhit4.html
http://www.av1611.org/KJV/ripwhit5.html
http://www.av1611.org/KJV/ripwhit6.html
http://www.av1611.org/KJV/ripwhit7.html

Fred, again you are hung on this "we must speak Hebrew or Greek to know what God is saying".

If you don't use the KJB then you reject it. I don't use the NIV, I reject, I don't use the NASB, I reject it. I don't know where you take reject meaning the Bible. Unless you are agreeing that the KJB is the Bible God gave us.

No, you are the one that said if don't use a version, we "reject it." I never said that we must speak Hebrew or Greek to know what God is saying.

But then again, I don't expect to get a logical responsive answer from you.

This is your last post on this Board until you provide the signature information. But then again, I don't expect that you will be showing that you abide by a Biblical ecclesiology.

brother.Jon

You quote James White as saying:
"As long as we allow the defender of the AV to determine the grounds of the argument by assuming the KJV to be the standard of all others, we will get absolutely nowhere." (J. White, The King James Only Controversy, pg. 129

You prove this point in the same message by writing:

Are you not setting for yourself the standard that the KJV is the only translation that qualifies as inspired scripture... even to the extent of rejecting any need for the original languages? So should we go around teaching everyone to speak in Old English?

Most everyone on this board works diligently to "rightly divide" the Word, thus the very purpose of this board in the first place. You have violated the board rules and have made no attempt to correct yourself. I believe the administrators and moderators have been very fair with you and yet you have clearly proven James White's other statement about being disruptive.

Please take the time to re-read your statements and reflect upon the spirit in which they were given. Clearly you have a deep rooted zeal for the Word of God (at least the KJV translation of it). Nobody here rejects the KJV, they are simply not rooted in KJ Onlyism because they find the concept incorrect and perhaps heretical.

Originally posted by brother.Jon In all honesty Ivan, if the KJB isn't your Bible of choice, then you reject it. If you purchase a car, you have to reject some until you come to the one you feel is reliable.

I work overnight, so I've been sleeping. Lots going on here. Interesting and kinda sad. The KJV is one of my translations of choice. I have found a number of makes and models of vechiles to be reliable.

It's going to snow here tonight!

Originally posted by 4ndr3w
Ivan,

I hope you don't get too cold.

HA! I will, but only for a while. No way staying warm unless one stays inside all the time in Wisconsin. Apparently that's not as much of a problem in Mississippi, a State, by the way, that I have heard good things about lately. For instance, although being one of the poorest States, it's one of the highest in charitable giving. God bless Mississippi!

Originally posted by Ivan
Ivan,

HA! I will, but only for a while. No way staying warm unless one stays inside all the time in Wisconsin. Apparently that's not as much of a problem in Mississippi, a State, by the way, that I have heard good things about lately. For instance, although being one of the poorest States, it's one of the highest in charitable giving. God bless Mississippi!

I like it, but it does have it's down sides. Ex: It doesn't really snow here, it just ices over.

Originally posted by Ivan
Ivan,

I like it, but it does have it's down sides. Ex: It doesn't really snow here, it just ices over.

Much like Southern Illinois, where I grew up. I've lived in the St. Louis area most of my life. I lived in Ft. Worth, Texas of over three years. I'm now residing in Wisconsin (for fourteen years), about a hour from Milwaukee and an hour an a half from Chicago. It's okay, but I'd be ready to move on, if the Lord so willed.

So how do you feel about that Holman Standard Bible! :lol:

Sorry for the diversion, folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back